07 YZ450 Engine Noise?

I've noticed that my 07 produces some noise at idle that isn't really there further up in the rev's. It sounds chain noise or something... anyone have the same?:confused:

We all do, put a skid plate on if you really want to hear some noise.

Yes. Everyone who owns a YZ450 has some noise. No one spent any time on this engine trying to make it nice. The efforts went into making it perform, and making it last, two things that it does very well.

The normal noises include primary gear backlash, torsional transmission gear rattle, cam "flip", cam chain noise, tappet noise, and occasionally, piston slap. All of these are normal. The best advice I can offer is to listen to another one or two for comparison with yours.

Thanks!!! I was starting to think I was approaching a top-end job on the motor!

HA you wont ever need to rebuild a yamaha thumper :confused:

It is a marketing ploy by Yamaha.......they all make noise, it is when it does not make all the noise that you have to worry.....:confused:

I also experience some strange noises on my almost new 07 which originally concerned me (especially the decel popping)...Today there were a couple other yz's on the track and I really took note to stop my bike and really get a good listen to them (both at idle near their trucks, and on the track) and sure enough they sounded pretty much the same (besides a few different pipes being used)...So, as long as it's running great, I'd say don't sweat it, it's just the nature of the beast...

The 08's are much quieter!!!!!!

08... I read they tightened up tolerances etc. How do you like it?

I am new to the Yamaha yz 450 too, and that noise was driving me crazy!!!!

it sounded like the chain was skipping, or something like that.

it's good to know that this may be a normal thing.....

No kidding. I was thinking loose chain, loose parts etc. I even changed the oil a couple times checking for metal shavings. How do you have you bike setup?

My set up is basically stock, except for heavier spring rates, and taller handlebars.

I still have the stock gearing but went with an X ring chain.....

I've noticed that my 07 produces some noise at idle that isn't really there further up in the rev's. It sounds chain noise or something... anyone have the same?:confused:

I have an 08 and noticed at idle in neutral it makes like a subtle rattling noise which goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I said to my friend "whats up with that" he said its normal, and his crf does it as well. Runs perfect so no worries.

I have an 08 and noticed at idle in neutral it makes like a subtle rattling noise which goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I said to my friend "whats up with that" he said its normal, and his crf does it as well. Runs perfect so no worries.
That is normal gear rattle. In neutral with the clutch engaged, the engine is spinning half of the transmission. The engine, however does not turn at a steady speed, but accelerates suddenly with each firing stroke, and slows abruptly when it hits the next compression stroke. That accel/decel action rattles the normal clearances in the gearbox. When you pull the clutch in, the transmission is disconnected from the engine, and the noise stops.

The installation of the skid plate amplifies it by reflecting it back up toward you. Check out any other YZ450. They all do this, and the '06 is slightly louder than earlier models due to the attenuation by the aluminum frame.

I can show you cars with manual transmissions that do the same thing.

When I had my 06 and put a glide plate on, I thought my bike was falling apart. Ride it a few times and you won't notice it.

That is normal gear rattle. In neutral with the clutch engaged, the engine is spinning half of the transmission. The engine, however does not turn at a steady speed, but accelerates suddenly with each firing stroke, and slows abruptly when it hits the next compression stroke. That accel/decel action rattles the normal clearances in the gearbox. When you pull the clutch in, the transmission is disconnected from the engine, and the noise stops.

The installation of the skid plate amplifies it by reflecting it back up toward you. Check out any other YZ450. They all do this, and the '06 is slightly louder than earlier models due to the attenuation by the aluminum frame.

I can show you cars with manual transmissions that do the same thing.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Little noises can drive you nuts when you dont know their exact origin.

My 06 sounds like it has alot of chain type of noise inside the motor and I had some major concerns. It runs great but its new to me so I'm still nervous about the noise.

I just had my 06 450 checked out at lunch by a reputable mechanic he said it sound normal, I just bought mine on Sunday and was all freaked about the noise these things make. Heres a video link to compare if yours sounds like mine. let me know if yours compares or not.

Just Ride It!!!!!!!!!

I hate to add to all these engine noise problems, but does anybody else have a high pitched chirp in the mid to upper range?