Swingarm Bolt Question

Hi all,

Stepped up to the maint plate and pulled my swingarm and linkage for lube maint...bearings look good, but had a real struggle getting out the primary swingarm bolt...guess I got to it just in time otherwise it could have really been stuck!

The bolt has some rust on it and the alum exterior has rubbed away some....am thinking I should get a new one, but...wanted to check with the TT pros before dropping coin...so question is, can I just slap some of the molybdenum disulfide grease on it and reuse or just don't be a cheapie and get a new one?

As an aside, would never stepped up to this without having this great resource to give me the courage!...thanks to all you maint gurus...Regards, KS

KS,

Assuming the bolt is still structurally sound (i.e. the rust is just on the outside and has not severely pitted the bolt AND the threads are ok from the removal process), you may want to consider taking a file to it to remove the corrosion (had to do the same to mine). File it down until it is smooth again (start seeing shiny metal), grease it and go. As you pointed out, you'll want to check it / re-grease more frequently in the future to prevent the hammer drama. :confused: Good on ya for gettin' in there and doing it yourself! :confused:

MG

Thanks, it's an 06 WR450F...

Believe the structural integrity of the bolt is good...just had to get it started with a hammer (kept nut on) then used vice grip and cussing to pull it out the rest of the way after WD40 action...

Anyway, I'll put some sand paper on it or file and see how it looks...thanks again...Regards, KS

...just had to get it started with a hammer (kept nut on) then used vice grip and cussing to pull it out the rest of the way

i have been there done that with a buddies wr450 (previous owner neglected it)

after getting the bolt out i took the scotch bright pad to the bolt and cleaned it up nice. i also took a drill with a bit that fit perfect in to the sleeve and cleaned all the junk out. repacked everything and put it back together the night before a 2 day trip down to baja! good luck, take your time:ride:

Thanks again to all...just polished it off with some fine sand paper and a brillo pad...looks good i think....

And 4 the record, I'm blaming this on the previous owner too! :confused:

Great idea on cleaning the inside sleeve...i sprayed it with WD40 and worked a rag in it...but needs a good brushing...Regards, KS

Thanks, it's an 06 WR450F...

Believe the structural integrity of the bolt is good...just had to get it started with a hammer (kept nut on) then used vice grip and cussing to pull it out the rest of the way after WD40 action...

Anyway, I'll put some sand paper on it or file and see how it looks...thanks again...Regards, KS

That's normal if you ride in wet areas and don't pull it out every 6 months.

Once i had to tap a swinarm bolt and draw it out with a bolt.

Make sure you put grease on it when you replace it.

Thanks...just finished...started on Sunday! Got it all back together today...first time effort for me...wasn't to bad and super glad I did it...next is steering, but I need a few beers and a break before starting!

Again, this forum gave me the courage to try the "do it yourself" thing...Regards, KS

Thanks...just finished...started on Sunday! Got it all back together today...first time effort for me...wasn't to bad and super glad I did it...next is steering, but I need a few beers and a break before starting!

Again, this forum gave me the courage to try the "do it yourself" thing...Regards, KS

glad it went well for you...it will be easier the next time around. hope you enjoy that beer! :confused: