Sign in to follow this  

Hanging Idle on New '07 DR-Z 400S

I've read the posts talking about hanging idle, but I would like to get some input on my issue.

I picked up my brand new '07 S last week and it is still completely stock and still has its first tank of gas. I purchased it in Oklahoma (Elevation 700 feet) and I live in Springfield, Missouri (Elevation 1300 feet).

It starts fine and runs very smoothly, as expected on a new machine. I've kept it to low to medium throttle during the break-in period.

My problem lies in that after warming up the idle hangs and will not come down unless I load the clutch. It will then drop down to a normal idle, but will stay at high idle the next time I come to a stop.

My questions to the group are:

1. Will the elevation difference make create my hanging idle problem?

2. Will adjusting the fuel mixture screw fix the problem?

3. I've read that 3 turns out is a good setting. Is that for sea level?

4. Should I set it in or out for my elevation?

I probably just need to play with it, but I wanted to get some input before I start messing things up. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Drew

I know it's new & all but if the above suggestions dont work , check your float level adjustment . My 2000 "E" model had the same problem until I readjusted that to the proper setting . U never know !

Choke half way out? Push it all the way in. When I took delivery of my 06s, they rode it out of the shop and didn't push the choke in. The 15 seconds that it took me to figure it out seemed like an eternity!

My 06 has the 3X3 mod and re-jet kit and it runs great after that. And the choke is known to be a little sticky.

Rejet with Dynojet, do the 3X3 and put in a 25 pilot, hanging idle solved!!:confused: vanram

I checked and the choke is not half-way out. Where do I adjust the float level?

Because I don't want to screw this up, does anyone have a photo of where exactly the fuel mixture screw is. Sorry for the Newbie question.

There appear to be two adjustment screws on the side of the carb. The first is a plastic knob and I believe it is the idle adjustment. The second is a small brass screw to the right of the first and near the bottom of the carb. Is that the mixture screw?

The manual calls this screw the "throttle stop screw". Where can I find the mixture screw if this is not the right one?

Thanks again for all the input.

No, the mixture screw is #36 on the diagram, and it is covered by a small brass plug (#57) that needs to be removed to access the screw. You need to remove the carb from the bike to do this properly. Search the forum for details on the mod process - you need to carefully drill a hole in the plug to remove it, and you want to be careful not to drill too deep and damage the screw underneath. If you are going to go to the trouble to remove the carb, you might as well buy a jet kit and install at the same time - details of that process are also widely available for the searching.

Or, you could take the bike to the dealer and see if he can help - the bike is still under warranty, is it not?

Thanks for the excellent information. Yes, it is still under warranty, but I think it may be better just to do the 3x3 and rejet and just take care of it at once.

Thanks for the help.