Silverwood Lake/lake Arrowhead

just wondering if someone can give me a little info on riding either one of these places. I normally go to Baldey mesa but another tt member suggested i should just go a bit further and stage at the dam. so i was wondering how to get there and if there's intermidiate trails there? I've searched for info and found great pictures, looks like fun. also i wanted to know how far the two are apart(silverwood and lake arrowhead) or should i just get a little familar with the area before i go out to far.Is there marked trails and maps????

thanks

just wondering if someone can give me a little info on riding either one of these places. I normally go to Baldey mesa but another tt member suggested i should just go a bit further and stage at the dam. so i was wondering how to get there and if there's intermidiate trails there? I've searched for info and found great pictures, looks like fun. also i wanted to know how far the two are apart(silverwood and lake arrowhead) or should i just get a little familar with the area before i go out to far.Is there marked trails and maps????

thanks

Here's a link to the USFS website with the maps-

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/ohv/

When I'm going with green sticker bikes, I usually make the longer drive to the Pinnacles staging area (info and location on the maps). That way you can go one direction in the morning, the other in the afternoon. There are very easy fire-roads between Arrowhead and Silverwood. Lots of good intermediate single-track (more like quad trails actually) right around Pinnacles - could easly entertain yourself for a day there.

thanks

Use the link provided in the other response and get the map for the Pinnacles to Big Pine Flat. Lots of fun trails with nothing harder than intermediate level stuff with maybe the one exception being 1W17 advanced intermediate. Great place to ride but it does get crowded on the weekends especially now with the Baldy Mesa staging area being closed.

If you want to start at the Silverwood Dam just get off of the 15 fwy at the 138/Silverwood exit and head east. Take the 138 to the 173 and turn left take that for a couple of miles. The road for the Cedar Creek Dam will be on the right. Unless you have a dual sport you can't go into Lake Arrowhead. The distance from the Dam to the Pinnacles staging area is right at 10 miles.

You may want to check with the Forest Service before heading up there. Last I heard a majority of the trails were still closed from the fires. I am curious what is left up there ?

To the best of my knowledge everything below Devil's Hole and the T-6 Bridge is still open. You could still easily put together a fun 50-60 mile loop without any problems at all.

To the best of my knowledge everything below Devil's Hole and the T-6 Bridge is still open. You could still easily put together a fun 50-60 mile loop without any problems at all.

As 9Lives has stated, they have temporarily closed the singletrack up from Devil's Hole. It wasn't on their website as being closed when we were up there this past weekend but the Ranger was in the process of putting up the signs (they were up but somebody had torn them down). They said that it should only be for two weeks but we all know how that goes.

T6 bridge and the road up to Crab Flats is open.

Are the trails pretty clearly marked? I will be taking my G/F there Sat for a ride and have not been there before. She is an excellent rider and has a new crf250x to break in. I'll be on a 450R. I'll probably start at the Dam like you guys said.

Are the trails pretty clearly marked? I will be taking my G/F there Sat for a ride and have not been there before. She is an excellent rider and has a new crf250x to break in. I'll be on a 450R. I'll probably start at the Dam like you guys said.

The trails are pretty well marked. Just in case you don't have one, here is the link to the trail map.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/ohvmap_silverwood_bigpines.pdf

• 1 month later...

The normal staging area for Baldy Mesa has been closed due to railroad construction. I think it is to be closed for 2 years. I believe there is another staging area but I have not been there. You may want to contact the forest service to find out the specifics.

The areas affected by the Grass Valley and the Slide Fires that remain closed include:

Grass Valley Fire Road Closure

Closure of Forest Road 2N34 from Junction of 2N37 to Forest boundary

Closure of Forest Road 2N34A from Forest boundary to 2N34

Slide Fire Closure

Forest Trail 2W07 from 3N34 Junction to Fisherman's Campground

Fredalba Trail from forest boundary

FSR 2N19 (including spurs 2N19A, 2N19B, and 2N19C) from intersection with Green Valley Lake Road near Camp Cedar Crest to Meadow Lane near the Green Valley Campground

Forest Service Road 2N16 from the Green Valley Campground to its terminus

Forest Service Road 2N13 from Green Valley Campground to Fawnskin (3N14) (overlap Butler 2 closure)

Forest Service Road 2N13D from intersection with 2N13 to Crafts Peak

Forest Service Road 2N33Y from 3N16 to Tent Peg Group Camp

Forest Service Road 3N34B from 3N16 to its terminus

Green Valley Campground and the roads within the campground

Fisherman's Group Campground

Tent Peg Group Campground

Additional Closed Forest Roads – currently closed for repair:

Forest Service Road 1N35 Cucamonga Canyon Road

Forest Service Road 1N34 San Sevaine Road

I have not confirmed all of these closures. I was up there on Tuesday and the gate was closed at 2N33 right before it intersects with 2N37, so there was no way up to the Pinnacle. I check the lower gate on 2n37 and it was open but I am pretty sure there is a gate up towards 2n33 which I would guess is also closed. This area was all part of the Grass Valley Fire. You may be better off staging out of the Pinnacle OHV.

The normal staging area for Baldy Mesa has been closed due to railroad construction. I think it is to be closed for 2 years. I believe there is another staging area but I have not been there. You may want to contact the forest service to find out the specifics.

When you say "normal" you're taking about the area accessed to the right of the NB 15 on ramp? If you go east on the 138 there is another area a mile or so out and we've ridden from on area to the other by crossing the tracks. I wonder if that's still possible ?

When you say "normal" you're taking about the area accessed to the right of the NB 15 on ramp? If you go east on the 138 there is another area a mile or so out and we've ridden from on area to the other by crossing the tracks. I wonder if that's still possible ?

When I say normal, I mean the dirt road you take once you get off of the 15 at the McDonalds. It's straight across from the offramp. I don't know about the other area you mentioned.