Sign in to follow this  

Hot Cams Question

I have a stock (motor wise) 2006 CRF250X. I have the opportunity to get a Hot Cams 250R stage 1 cam for a decent price. This is what Hot Cam's website says about the differences between the stage 1 and 2 cams.

"What’s the difference between our stage 1 and stage 2 cams?

Our stage 1 cams are normally a low to mid-range cam. Our stage 2 cams are mid to top-end cams."

So if the stock X cam already has plenty of low to midrang power, would getting the R stage 1 cam really do anything for me??? :confused:

I have heard very good things about the crower cams. Been running one for a year:thumbsup: :confused: .

I currently have a Hot Cam Stage 1 in my '06 250X and it seems to make better power down low/mid, but kind of seems to fall on it's face up top. I just bought the bike, so didn't get to do a real compare it to stock other than what I remember from testing a different bike with a stock cam. I do have a Crower on it's way and will find out how it compares once I find the time to stick it in along with the stiffer springs they suggest.:confused: :confused:

I have a stock (motor wise) 2006 CRF250X. I have the opportunity to get a Hot Cams 250R stage 1 cam for a decent price. This is what Hot Cam's website says about the differences between the stage 1 and 2 cams.

"What’s the difference between our stage 1 and stage 2 cams?

Our stage 1 cams are normally a low to mid-range cam. Our stage 2 cams are mid to top-end cams."

So if the stock X cam already has plenty of low to midrang power, would getting the R stage 1 cam really do anything for me??? :confused:

I love the performance. The bike now rides like it should. I have also added the Faction MX stainless valves "kit". I am going to install the R head this winter.

Regards,

Thomas

To me it would really depend on what type of riding you do... If you are on the track, in the woods, on trails etc go for the stage 1. If you are into more 'open' kind of riding where the quick low end power is not as important then go with the stage 2.

later...

I fitted a stage 1 a month ago (together with a high comp piston & SS valves) and love the improved torque.

Pulls better & harder at the bottom end, (better in swamps & hill climbs) but hasn't changed the top end.

Can't tell you if the cam or the piston had the most effect though? Sorry.

WR G.

what hot cam should i get to get power in the higher rpm's

I would maybe try an 07 or 08 R cam. Not much low end loss and very nice top. With the wide ratio trans in the x it would be hard to use the stage 2 unless you ride in the desert. Just my opinion

just one more questin so would a 07 or 08 cam fit in my 2006 crf250x

and i also have a fmf factory 4.1 on my bike would it still work ok with the cam

I just threw in a 04 R cam friday. I am a little disappointed with the results. I lost significant low-mid and gained a short hard hit up top. I havent done the air box-rejet yet so I may recover some lost. I am also installing a hc piston so I hope that recovers my bottom end. I would steer clear of the hc s2 cam as radical as they are compared the R, and the results I got with the R cam. If I wasnt doing the piston I would be ordering a hc s1.

I just threw in a 04 R cam friday. I am a little disappointed with the results. I lost significant low-mid and gained a short hard hit up top. I havent done the air box-rejet yet so I may recover some lost. I am also installing a hc piston so I hope that recovers my bottom end. I would steer clear of the hc s2 cam as radical as they are compared the R, and the results I got with the R cam. If I wasnt doing the piston I would be ordering a hc s1.

you should do the airbox and jetting mod ASAP....that makes a difference on a stock bike and the cam will only enhance it. With that said you probably won't gain much of the low-end back. I've heard the 04 and 06 R cams are the most radical.

I've used both the stage 1 hot cam and 06R cam. They are two different animals. The stage 1 hot cam is really nice for low-mid power, but really does fall on its face in the higher rpms. The 06R cam caused me to lose some low end, but pulls to the moon now. It really just depends what kind of riding you do, but as I mentioned before the 07 or 08R cam is a great mix between low-mid-high gains.