Trailtech Vapor Tach issues

I have just fitted a vapor on my 426. I used the speedo light for power (connected red to red and black to black wires together). For tach, put red wire in coil and put black on frame under the seat.

With mains power, the tach goes sky high (18000rpm) and without mains works fine? Am I doing something wrong with mains power or tach?

"Mains" is what they call incoming power in some countries.

You have to get at least 6 or 7 winds of the red tach wire around the plug cap/coil for it to work.

Mine intermittently jumps way high too. I talked to Trailtech about this. They didn't have a solution for it since I apparently have everything installed properly . I think the wires are picking up noise from another part of the electrical system. Next time I have my tank off, I'm going to replace the tach wires with a shielded cable. That may fix it.

Chambers, I too was told that it shouldnt be powered from the lighting loom (speedo light) because the switch can interfere with the signal to the tach. I was told to connect straight from regulator (is that same a generator?) and this should solve the problem.

I think this kit is good but it should be more model specific and/or give a better instruction on how to fit it.

The problem is actually the switch. You will be fine as long as you tap into the power on the regulator/mag side of the switch. I have mine wired to the yellow wire coming off of the regulator and don't have any trouble. THe problem with the switch is that it can bounce and allows noise on the line. Not a problem when you are running a light, but electronics are sensitive to this. Hope this helps.

Josh

I'm running my Vapor power off of the DC battery circuit and I still get the phantom high tach readings. Its intermittent, and I suspect noise picked up from something electrical. I'll try some shielded cable for the tach.:confused:

There seems to be quite a few people having different sorts of problems with the Vapor.

Im glad I stuck with the Endurance. I'ts been reliable as!

I replaced my Endurance with a Vapor. I'm very happy with it. More features, larger, easier to read display. The only problem I'm having is the high tach readings at certain times. The tach works consistently at idle, which is the only time I use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my Vapor yesterday, with no problems. I ran the main power to the battery pack from the Baja Designs kit. It gives it a really nice back lighting and still powers down after use, and I grounded it to the frame under the seat. I haven't had any tachometer issues and I did not install the water temperature part, yet. Actually, I spun the head off the magnet bolt barely snugging it down. A little superglue, and it is OK. I did order spares for my extra front wheel.

AC or DC, it doesn't matter. The Trailtech will run on either from what I understand. What is a poof button starter? There were no 426's produced with an electric start.

I'm guessing that's Aussie-speak for the Kill Switch???

I had the same problem! after contacting Trailtech directly they eventually sent me out a new unit. Both the new and old unit worked fine when first installed and then starting playing up, giving high RPM readings. i think it is related to the power input, when the back up battery in the head unit drained i started having this problem.

I had the same problem! after contacting Trailtech directly they eventually sent me out a new unit. Both the new and old unit worked fine when first installed and then starting playing up, giving high RPM readings. i think it is related to the power input, when the back up battery in the head unit drained i started having this problem.

Interesting theory, but my unit was reading high sometimes when the head battery was fresh. It might be worth trying without external power, running on just head battery power. Maybe I'll try that next ride.

I still suspect electrical noise as being the problem. Replace the stock tach wires with shielded cable might fix it.

I'm disappointed that Trailtech hasn't figured it out for us. There's been several on this forum with the same symptoms and we've all contacted them.:crazy:

I had strange problems with mine when i had the power connected to the headlight power & the tach signal connected to the coil trigger ( with & without the resistor), it did all sorts of wierd shit, mainly the tacho would jump sky high when riding, if i disconnected the power to the unit and just ran off battery it was fine

In the end i just wrapped the coil wire around the plug wire and havent had a problem since.

Asside from my other non related issues

I emailed Trailtech yesterday and sent them a link to this thread. Chris read it, responded to my email, and confirmed that a weak battery in the head unit (I'm assuming while connected to external power) can cause the high tach reading problem. He also said that the tach wires can pick up noise if routed next to other harness wires.

I'm going to try a fresh battery first. And the next time I have the tank off, replace the tach wires with shielded cable.

• 6 months later...
:eek:? I have also problems with the tacho.I installed it like in the instructions i tried al the install options.tacho is going grazy jums around not stable at all.my bike is a ducati m900 .i wired the black en red wire directly to the battery.the tacho red to the spade of the coil and the black to the frame.the grazy thing is if i disconnect the black from the frame the tacho is still working.if i disconnect the red and connect the black it is still working .the tacho works with only one wire(red ore black it dossent mather) .is it not possible i have to swith pollarety of the main connection of the Vapor.maybe their is a wizkid outthere ho knows how to fix this problem.