Sign in to follow this  

DR650 generator capacity test results

There was a recent thread that got me thinking about generator capacity so I figured I would put a meter on the DR and see what was really going on. Below is a chart of the results. I turned on the desired accessories and read the voltage at idle (1600RPM) and 3000 RPM. I guesstimated the "ign +" at 80 watts by plotting the data and seeing where the voltage dropped below the voltage the battery shows when the key is off (13.0 volts in my case). Assuming the generator has an output of the spec'd 200 watts, the bike starts to discharge when about 120 watts are added. As you can see running all the goodies at once is operating in the discharge range. After doing this I was sort of surprised I have not killed my battery (original 01 never been on a tender). I think the only reason I haven't is that I normally run the handwarmers on lo, once they have warmed up. That and cycling the hi's probably keeps it in the plus side. I also shut the HW'ers down a few miles from home.

accessories: (watts) (ign+ w) .(charging W) .(idle volts) .(3000)RPM volts

Low beam XXXXXX55 XXXX80 XXXX65 XXXXXXX13.5 XXXX13.2

low + HW lo XXXX75 XXXX80 XXXX45 XXXXXXX13.6 XXXX13.4

Low + HW hi XXXX90 XXXX80 XXXX30 XXXXXXX13.2 XXXX13.3

Low + hi XXXXXX110 XXXX80 XXXX10 XXXXXXX12.6 XXXX13

Low+hi+HW lo XX130 XXXX80 XXXX-10 XXXXXXX12.1 XXXX12.4

Low+hi+HW hi XX145 XXXX80 XXXX-25 XXXXXXX11.9 XXXX12.1

Battery with ignition off = 13.0v

Sorry the chart is a mess, I tried...

Thanx for sharing. I just got an electric jacket from Aerostitch. I was thinking of trying to put some sort of volt meter on my DR just to keep an eye on things.

Very interesting - thanks!

So this tells me that:

LO + HW + 30W accessory HID light = about +15 charging W

Your hand warmers seem to be 35W, while mine are rated at 26 W so I might be looking just a tad better too.

Very cool - thanks for doing this!!

Wonder what it'd be at 4600rpm which is around cruising speed.

Then your "Low+hi+HW lo" may still be charging the battery.

I used 35 watts for my handwarmers (actually 36) and I guessed they were 20 for the low setting. Big boy - you read it right

NordieBoy - I did the test in the garage and running 3000 rpm in N is enough thanks. I did run it higher and the voltages did not seem to climb. I did higher RPM's when I was playing around and I am not sure if I had it loaded or not, there seemed to be a little something odd with the way a load changed things. If you look at the chart for some reason when there is not much load the voltage is higher at idle than at 3000, as the load gets higher the high RPM charges better. Of course one would guess that the high RPM's charges better but I have no idea why at low load the idle voltages would be higher. I tested this a couple times and it is real.

If I get a chance I would like to tape the meter on and test this at higher RPM. I was really bummed when I found that the vapor and the other options I looked at don't have a voltmeter, seems like a great feature that would be damn near free once drawn in

Great post, I have been looking for this info for a while to see what accessories I can run.

I was really bummed when I found that the vapor and the other options I looked at don't have a voltmeter, seems like a great feature that would be damn near free once drawn in

The Touratech IMO 100R300 (Rallye computer) has a voltmeter built in (plus oil temp and lots of other features). Of course its about 4 times as expensive as the Vapor... :confused:

I got one that I will put on my DR650 soon, then I will play around with my heated vest etc to see if my measurements are the same.

Cheers,

Lukas

Thanx for sharing. I just got an electric jacket from Aerostitch. I was thinking of trying to put some sort of volt meter on my DR just to keep an eye on things.

An AMP. meter gives and far more accurate reading of what kind of load your electrical system strain will be put under.

Yes you are right. An ammeter will give you a more accurate picture of loads. To calculate the actual wattage draw, measure the voltage, and the current. Then multiply the volts x amps, and you will get the wattage.eg: 13.2 volts x 6A = 79.2W. You can do this for the total load, and also figure out individual loads by measuring the current (amps) on each appliance: lights, hand warmers etc. I should also highlight that unless a heating appliance...vests, seat warmers, grip warmers etc. have reached operating temperature, the current draw may be higher until the heating coils are at temp. If hand warmer wattages seem high, or irregular you may have defective thermistor, which controls the heat in your grips.