Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start

Ok so I had a race yesterday (harescramble) and right before the race i was warming my bike up, so the race starts and we head off into the woods, the bike shuts off and is suddenly not starting. By the time everyone in my class passes my I get my bike started and I try to gain my positions back. I passed back a few people because we were going through corn fields topped out so I had an advantage over the 125 2 smokes. when we headed back into the woods my bike stalls again and the same thing happens again, hard to start. Usually my bike starts first kick but it was taking like 20 kicks to get fired up again and it felt like the bike was running very hot. This happened throughout the whole race. Someone told me to check my exhaust valves. What do you think could be the peoblem

Ok so I had a race yesterday (harescramble) and right before the race i was warming my bike up, so the race starts and we head off into the woods, the bike shuts off and is suddenly not starting. By the time everyone in my class passes my I get my bike started and I try to gain my positions back. I passed back a few people because we were going through corn fields topped out so I had an advantage over the 125 2 smokes. when we headed back into the woods my bike stalls again and the same thing happens again, hard to start. Usually my bike starts first kick but it was taking like 20 kicks to get fired up again and it felt like the bike was running very hot. This happened throughout the whole race. Someone told me to check my exhaust valves. What do you think could be the peoblem

Intake valves. Your right intake has gone to zero. Magic, no, this is common, do a search and you will be enlightened. Search for hard starting, or bike will not start, or bike is hard to start, or problem starting, etc.

I'll bet the poblem will be 1 of 3 things..

1~Inlet valves, probably the right one.

2~Inlet valves, probably the right one.

3~Inlet valves, probably the right one.

Check these 3. Good luck!

WR G.

Get used to this, ive kept great care of my x but every 2-3 months the valves zero out and its impossible to startm ive gotten tired of this and am selling the bike and getting a ktm. Good Luck though

My buddy has a 2006 250X that he bought new this past spring. He had only rode it 2 times and the third time we went out he had a similar problem. Nearly impossible to get it started and once we did, it would stall if you didn't keep the rpm's up. It was also very hot compared to mine. Ran perfect before this.

Could the valves be out of spec already?

BTW, he has done absolutely nothing to the engine or exhaust.

I just spoke to my buddy and it seems that with the bike sitting for most of the summer, his jets were clogged. This past weekend he pulled the carb and cleaned out the jets and its all good now. So with the jets clogged the bike was running suuuuuper lean basically starving for fuel.