98 XR650L 2nd gear gone!

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

• 1 month later...

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

on occasion my 05 650L does not want to shift into 3rd..after I roll off the gas and clutch it a couple of times it shifts, no clunk grind etc, just a "hitch up in the get along" feelin' maybe toe induced ? but I don't think so, I been a shiftin for years....I attribute it to (without technical explanation) the torque that is made by the motor stressin the gearbox. Maybe 1000% wrong, but MHO. Happens less now than when new - as in during break in.

i think alot of times an individual bike may have its own different "characteristics". something it does just a little different than the rest.

It is worth trying different kinds of oil. Sometimes it can make a big differnece in transmission action.

I had an 85 that did this,...nomal fix,2 gears and a shift fork.. but look at the other gears real close.All of mine were in bad shape(rounded engagement cogs),didn't replace because it would of been $900. for all of them.So I machined them as best I could and sold it the next week.

...with a full disclosure to the buyer...right? ?

It could have been any one of us.

OP, if your brother does have to split the cases and have the transmission re-worked...well, he's got a great bike for a grand. :ride: