Sign in to follow this  

Maico making a comeback

Has just been announced in the UK this week that Maico are making a comeback with the introduction of a new line up of 2 stroke motocross bikes including a all new 500cc a 250cc and a 320cc all to stroke . the return of the big 2 stroke will be a welcome site. :crazy::D

My dad raced Maico's throughout the 70's and early 80's. I actully had his 82 for awhile but never rode it (in college). I'd love to see them come back. They were on top of the world in 81-82 then completely imploded in 83. Amazing to see them disappear within a few years.

They're probably hitting the market at the right time since the big 4 seem to be ignoring the 2 stroke revival (some more than others) while KTM is picking up big 4 converts (like me) left and right with their 2 stroke line up.

Does anyone have a link to there site?

Don't know the new link but here's the story of the rise and fall of Maico for some of the young guys. It's a great read. Recently, a young (22) friend of mine (and a great rider) said he had never even heard of Maico and doubted they even existed. Punk kid...:crazy:

http://www.vintagemaicos.com/whatkilledmaico.htm

In the Primm collection in Vegas sits a mint 1990 500cc Maico. Blue and yellow. Very trick and modern looking. I had no idea Maico was building bikes at that time, post M-Star.

Has just been announced in the UK this week that Maico are making a comeback with the introduction of a new line up of 2 stroke motocross bikes including a all new 500cc a 250cc and a 320cc all to stroke . the return of the big 2 stroke will be a welcome site. :crazy::D

It will be intersting to see if they are truly all new because they have been making 2 strokes in these displacements since around 97 all along without much change . Just not in very high quantities .

Don't know the new link but here's the story of the rise and fall of Maico for some of the young guys. It's a great read. Recently, a young (22) friend of mine (and a great rider) said he had never even heard of Maico and doubted they even existed. Punk kid...:crazy:

http://www.vintagemaicos.com/whatkilledmaico.htm

good read.

I would buy a 500cc

if the 500 is a good mxer and has parts available....ill be first in line:applause: :crazy:

We need to have somebody selling a modern 500 smoker, its too good of a powerplant concept to just let go away.

We need to have somebody selling a modern 500 smoker, its too good of a powerplant concept to just let go away.

yeah i agree 100%...not everyone can afford an 8000 dollar 500AF

im just worried they're parts availability will hold them back

I read one time that the last version of the CR 500 made 18 horsepower in 1000 rpm in the powerband. Not for the faint of heart and they proveD to be exhausting to ride. Start working out alot RIGHT NOW and maybe you'll be ready if they do make them again !!!

OMG! That bike is just plain sick! best looking UK bike ever, IMO:worthy: :crazy:

nothing new about these bikes except the fork,same bike since '98.My '01 500is the same bike as the '08,minus the different fork. I love my Maico and hope to see some success,but won't hold my breath.The fenders and side panels are Yamaha circa '96 to '01,the seat is almost identical too.Viva la Maico!

While I'm a long-time Maico fan, I wouldn't be too quick to buy the "new" Maico. These look (from what little you can see in the photos) to be the same bikes as the last attempt to resurrect Maico. That was some Dutch company a few years ago. They shipped a couple over here for the magazines to try out and the bikes were junk with fragile gearboxes and not at all sorted out.

The "new" Maico seems to be emphasizing horsepower, as if that's what mx is all about. Not a good sign. "Hand-built" means "expensive." Great Britain is filled with small bike and car-building businesses (think CCM for one).

Would I buy one if it was a competitive mx bike and parts were easy to get? You betcha.

Would I pay a huge premium to do so. Nope.

Interesting.......

I've been told that Maico never really stopped building bikes, they just went to very small production numbers. I know a racer at my local track who has a 2006 Maico 500. I didn't believe it either when I saw it, but there it was. He imported it himself from Germany. I haven't taken a ride on it, but when John rides it, it goes like hell!