06 250 Sxf

im thinking about switching from my 02 EXC 200 to a 06 250 SXF because i do alot more motocross racing than i do woods riding. i was wondering what are some of the ups and downs of the bike and what anyones opinion of the bikes was. Locally there is a 06 KX250F in the paper for 3000, but i dont want to leave the orange bikes. im torn between what to do...

i have an 06 250sxf. some good things are that it has been almost bullet proof when the oil and air filter are changed regularly(mine has about 70 hours, valves are in spec and piston/rings are still fine). any problems that ive had have been my fault and/or lack of knowledge , so i really cant complain.the suspension is pretty good, but could be a little more plush on continuing braking and acceleration bumps. handles great to me. the motor is fast but in a sneaky way. other 250f 's hit harder, but the ktm will pull em, evem though it feels slow.no bolts have stripped, no parts have worn out, and the fat bars and hydralic clutch are always great. I would go with the ktm if you are a weekender who rides track some and races occasionally and want a bike to last and go anywhere you want to go.i would ony conider the kawi if you have plenty of money and want to be hardcore racer(look at the pro circuit 250f, they win everything but have mechanical falures. thektm never wins i the 250f class but everyone always finishes). the ktm will last longer and will give you less problems, but for two motos and then a complete engine check the kawi will last a while. coming from some one who does some of everything(moto, desert, woods, dunes) the ktm will give you much less worries and maitnence issues which translates into more money for gas and more time riding.

We have 3 '06 250SXF's and not a problem with any of them. Valves are easy to check and haven't moved in 70+ hrs. The KTM gives up nothing to the Jap 250f's.

Handling is very good once the suspension is setup correctly.

Other than oil and filters, have not spent any extra $$$ money to maintain the KTM's.

yeah, ive heard that they are pretty rock solid bikes. the only problem with that is that no one wants to sell them! i cant buy a new one cause im on a budget. i think i just may wait till one comes around. thanks for the replys

I am in almost the same situation, on a budget, no one wants to sell the bikes, and need to upgrade but I want a 250xcf. Good luck with your mission!

• 3 weeks later...

guys just biught a 06 250f and i swear by it, its the best 250f on the market.

i have riden every brand out thier and it is really the lexus of dirtbikes so if u can get the cash grab the bike. mine is completly stock just a few suspension settings to my weight (72kg) and no jap bike can keep up. i even stay right next to a 07 yz450f through the fire trails...... best bike ever.

No real down sides to me. Seams to me to have more engine brake to me when you let off the throttle than other bike ive had and ridden, no linkage and the seats are pretty hard. You get used to that and there is so much i like about my 06 those things seam pretty minor.

hey guys u kno what my only prb frm getin a 06 ktm250sxf :ride:

my 05 rmz250 needs to sell first lol!! ? its up for sale in classifieds bike sounds good always wanted to try ktm dispite the crap talked bou suspension.. need to ride for myself u kno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i currently have an 07 with 14 hours on it. its pulling 3 hp more + more touque that my 06 crf250 that had a hotcam and headwork. it turns better and is easyer to work on ( more room round engine) suspensions great and i haven't even set it up yet

get SXF