Sign in to follow this  

keeping feet dry

Whats the best way to keep your feet dry is wet conditions? I was thinking gore tex socks but i cant find any that go to the knee. Any help?

Wrap duct tape around the tops of your boots. Either with Gore-Tex socks or with normal socks. Wear over type pants, will help also. Bread bags. Or don't ride when it's wet, that's 100% fool proof! I personaly hate it when it rains soo hard that water pools up in your crotch and runs slowly out the back! That's when I head HOME.:crazy:

I feel for you guys in the northern states. Living in NC now, I never worry about my feet getting wet. I used to live in Illinois and fall and early spring rides were the worst when your feet got wet. It sure could make a day of riding shorter.

Anyway to answer your question - have you ever heard of gaiters? They are a nylon tube with elastic at each end that you put on over the gap between your boots and pants. They were desigend to keep snow and mud out of your boots when walking through the woods. They work for riding as well. That's what I used when I would ride in cold wet weather. I never had water get in my boots once I started using them - even on stream crossings.

I always wear liner socks under my regular socks, whether I'm mtn biking, riding or hunting. They don't really keep your feet dry, but they wick moisture away from the skin and into the outer sock, making your feet feel dry. No matter what I do to keep water out, my feet get soaked from sweat anyway.

I live in the Northwest and ride in the wet all the time. I started using Gore Tex sock from REI about 2 years ago. Best investment I ever made, dry feet means your feet stay warm. I just purchased Gore Tex pants but have not tried them out yet, I'll keep you posted.

when i had my thor boots i couldnt go through damp grass without my socks getting soaked. now i have alpine stars and unless i fall off a bridge into a river i stay pretty well dry hahaha

i've always had good luck with a wrap of duct tape around the top of the boots for river crossings. unless your standing in the river it works pretty good. the breadbag idea sounds pretty good too.

Hi,i use army issue 100% water proof goretex boot liners or now the new issue socks they sertainly do the job, get them from army surplus shops or seal skin socks.

I just tried to find water proof off road motorcycle boots. I was surprised that they don't seem to exist! The goretex (or similar) liner can be found in hiking boots, work boots, trail runners, friggin dress loafers, but not mx boots.

It sucks to have your feet soaked from the first couple of puddles at the start of a long day of winter riding. I ended up with the Gaerne SG10. I sprayed them with silicone water proofing. I love the boots, but have not been in very wet conditions with them yet.

I like the idea of Gators over your boots. I used them back in my skiing days, before over-the-boot ski pants arrived. I only wonder if someone makes DB specific ones because the inside part against the bike would take a beating.

Duct tape will achieve a similar result.

Here's a crude example if you don't know what they are:

boot2.jpg

I regularly ride in wet conditions and plan to get a pair of Klim OTB pants. I think that will solve my problem but they are bit pricey.

As far as the bag idea, if you are talking about putting your feet into them, it will not work. If you sweat, the sweat will have no way to escape and will accumulate inside the bag. Condensation will also form inside the bag and keep your feet wet. Putting the bag outside your boot would work the same as a gator or duct tape.

Seal the seams on your boots with sno-seal. Over the boot riding pants keep most of the splashed water off the top of the boots. Ride on the sides of the puddles or wheelie through! Feet in the air on stream crossings.

Plastic bags???? Sweaty, rotten feet will result!