650R vs 650L

for some unknown reason, a 1982 XR500 seems to rip much faster than the 650L. i tested my buddies 650L and 500 the other day and the 500 seems to wheelie all the way up to 4th while the L barely does it on 3rd! both even have the same gearing, 18" rear wheel and intake/exhaust mods. :crazy:

the L is a real slug stock until reallly opened up. what mods int/exh wise?

Fairly flat and open out that way?

Dave

Yeah until ya get to about hemlock lake. There are no "trails" north that are legal, but along ontario's tributaries there are some posted(state and county) trails that are all hills, water, valleys. These runs we run at night from now on since the penalty if caught is them taking yer sh%t!!!. As it is my 600R can be blacked out(lights), but not my L yet. I am having a Tinsmith, and machine builder make me a physical "black out" mount for my plated bikes that is quick and effective. No more hassles or problems for me.

It is funny though. I cut about 20-30 miles of good MX/off road trails 25 years ago and they were great local legal trails. I had permission from the old timers. As time went on, the state pushed and aquired these properties and now don't allow even mountain bikes. Had a developer, lawyer, police and so called land owners tell me I couldn't ride there for years. They were always shut down by the fact the well to do REAL landowners were friends of my family, until they grew old and died. Now times have changed and it calls for changes on my machines.

The last time I had a problem, a mountain biker tried to run me off the trail by powersliding in front of me. Big mistake, as she took sand and dirt from my 500, and bud's 250. Needless to say the police were involved when just a week later a bud on a wheeler got pushed off his machine in a tight trail by a stalker/hiker. Bad move on the stalkers part as he got his A$$ kicked. This was the start of the end, and now it is tree hugger galore. I even recently argued with a hugger about "where the trails came from". She told me the state made them. Wrong answer, and kindly told her I did. Enjoy my trails you non sharing dicks. I love how my road/dirt/atv/snowmobile/land/house/boat taxes are used for their enjoyment. Walkers/huggers don't pay into the state funds, but get to use my money out of the general fund to pay for the "walking" trail!!!!!!!:crazy:

Sorry for my rant!!!!!

Yeah until ya get to about hemlock lake. There are no "trails" north that are legal, but along ontario's tributaries there are some posted(state and county) trails that are all hills, water, valleys. These runs we run at night from now on since the penalty if caught is them taking yer sh%t!!!. As it is my 600R can be blacked out(lights), but not my L yet. I am having a Tinsmith, and machine builder make me a physical "black out" mount for my plated bikes that is quick and effective. No more hassles or problems for me.

It is funny though. I cut about 20-30 miles of good MX/off road trails 25 years ago and they were great local legal trails. I had permission from the old timers. As time went on, the state pushed and aquired these properties and now don't allow even mountain bikes. Had a developer, lawyer, police and so called land owners tell me I couldn't ride there for years. They were always shut down by the fact the well to do REAL landowners were friends of my family, until they grew old and died. Now times have changed and it calls for changes on my machines.

The last time I had a problem, a mountain biker tried to run me off the trail by powersliding in front of me. Big mistake, as she took sand and dirt from my 500, and bud's 250. Needless to say the police were involved when just a week later a bud on a wheeler got pushed off his machine in a tight trail by a stalker/hiker. Bad move on the stalkers part as he got his A$$ kicked. This was the start of the end, and now it is tree hugger galore. I even recently argued with a hugger about "where the trails came from". She told me the state made them. Wrong answer, and kindly told her I did. Enjoy my trails you non sharing dicks. I love how my road/dirt/atv/snowmobile/land/house/boat taxes are used for their enjoyment. Walkers/huggers don't pay into the state funds, but get to use my money out of the general fund to pay for the "walking" trail!!!!!!!:crazy:

Sorry for my rant!!!!!

In that situation, I'd still be riding the trails, too.

I hear from the old-timers down near ithaca, same thing, the mountain bikers think 'they' built the trails.

Dave

Sorry for my rant!!!!!

adapt and overcome. ny dont let us ride anywhere but they make us register and pay taxes on our bikes. like you i ride anyway.

We haven't had any trouble down in good ole Pennsylvania. The coal and centeral pa region make for too many trails to accomplish in a year or two without even running them twice!!!!!

Another area around southern new york is Salamanca dice run and allegheny state land. Those that have been through Salamancas dice run on a bike know what I mean!!!::crazy:

Agree!

Kickin' a 650R with a healthy leg is cake. Course, I am 6-2 and weigh 250 - maybe that's why it kicks so easy? Truthfully though, you do have to get familiar with the technique. I have heard some say that it's embarrassing to kick a bike in public (hot babe looking at you in grocery store parking lot).

I ask you - what could be more masculine than a man kicking a 650cc, high compression, single???

HA HA HA yesterday I flooded mine [ rare occasion] while waiting for a lift bridge to come down. I was at the front of the trafic when the bridge came down! and people were laying on ther horn! I had to push the bike to the side of the road! and to top it off while I was kicking away with a red face some Ya hoos on atvs came out of knowhere and were yelling to me'You have to pull in the clutch man!'