Sign in to follow this  

Crash-frequence increase

Hi,

I'm a beginner and I train to learn good offroad technique / skill .

I started last year and I did not went down one time durng the first 4 months of riding.

I belive my technique have got much better and often I manage to drift through corners and it feels very much better compared to in the beginning. My crash-frequence have increased with my feeling of improvement though :crazy:

In the last month I have crashed 6 times, low sides and one highside in tight low speed flat corners. 98% of the times I corner at my training track It feels controlled and my confidence rises but then comes a crash and I wonder what I did wrong:banghead:

Is it normal to crash that much or am I riding to agressive ?

Any advice appriciated !

I dont know about other riders on the forum, but i crash all the time...as long as its not a big crash where you get injured...why worry?

Your skill is improving and you're probably just polishing it up, so keep at it, crashing is a normal part of dirt biking IMO.

I'm lucky if I can get the bike out of the box trailer without crashing. It is so funny, the last time me and my buddy Nick went riding, he and the bike went down in the gravel parking lot, before he even got the motor started. Everybody was stunned, we stood around dumbfounded for a few minutes before we busted out out laughing. But the joke was on me, because once we were underway, I crashed and went down hard not more than a hundred yards from the truck, I was stoved up for the rest of the weekend. I say if you aren't crashing, you aren't riding to your fullest. (that is my excuse for falling down so you guys just shut up!!!!)

Soot

if you aren't crashing, you aren't riding fast enough.

if you're improving, dont sweat the litle wash-outs and low sides.

it happens to me all the time when im trying to push the limits on tight corners.

either that or the back tire spins to much, and i kinda launch into the woods all out of shape like a maniac. :crazy:

the only way to learn is by pushung yourself crashing is part of it i always crash.i like to ride right on the edge of gravel roads and at least 2-3 times i end up over the bank in a tight corner.flat track and wreck, flat track that corner again right after u wreck trying to do it all the same butt the wrecking part.hit it over and over if u have to.

Nothing sucks worse than bailin' and having to go home after just getting started! I've done it twice this year.

Well, there's "crashing" and then there's "going down". To me, a crash is hitting another object that takes you from your riding speed to ZERO is half a second. I've done that a couple of times, most recently last weekend when heading down an extremely rocky trail and getting deflected off into a small tree. (Bike ended up vertical, all caught up in the branches.)

Then there's losing control all on your own, without help from another object, and "going down". Losing the front tire in a turn is the most frequent instance of that, and like the other guys said, that's a big part of becoming a better rider. I love it when both tires slide, although I only manage that rarely. More often, I make the mistake of trying to steer the front end through a turn and the front tire ends up washing out, and I end up on the ground.

I've just started playing around with counter-steering through turns when I can. That seems to work well and keeps me from turning the front wheel into a turn and going down.

Statistically, somebody that rides fast on dirt bikes a lot is going to crash X number of times for every Y number of hours riding.

So every time one crashes without injury or damage, he's keeping with the odds, on the fat side of luck.

If you're not wearing a plaster suit, it's alllllll good.

this thread makes me feel so much better about last weekend:bonk: still waiting for parts and gotta get a little welding done :D Dang Rocks, Went from 30ish to zero :crazy: yup just like that!!!!!

Dauntae

i find trying 2 ride smooth works best for me:ride: i start off slow but try and be as smooth as i can, then later after the ride my mates have all had trouble keeping up,but theyve all been out front in the beginning.if i go hard from the start and fall which talking from experiance will happan then i will be falling all day and have a crap ride:cry: start of slow build up a smooth rythem and you will be amazed at how quick your actually going. as for you crashing, back it off 20 % untill youve got those corners down ,if your like me and only get 2 ride once a week this should take a month,then step it up to 85% and so on.also only start getting fancy once youve found your smooth rythem. ive had my new wr250f for 4 mnths now and havent dropped it yet, have lost controll once but it got caught in a viney shrub, but scared me shitless but the bike didnt fall over,lol:eek:

• Like 1

muffinman I started doing that a month or so ago and you are completely right and I was faster (The group didn't have to wait for me as long LOL) Last weekend was really wet and and got into a rocky section I have aced many times and it just slipped out from under me (My poor new CRF:cry: ) poked a hole in the clutch cover and put a small dent in the swingarm with a pointy rock, It has a small crack in the center of the dent (the welding part before it cracks even more) but I have been riding a gear higher and ride so much smoother now, I have been keeping up with the group much better now and have gotten a few compliments from the guys I ride with on how much better I am riding (these guys have been riding for 25 years without stopping and are fast ...and crazy LOL) really good advice. Gas for you.

Dauntae

When I ride within my abilities, I don't typically go down. When I push past the envelope of my abilities where my comfort zone is, I'm more prone to go down. If you don't push past your comfort zone occassionally do you still progress? I think you do, but it comes slower than if you test the water once in a while.

Making myself slow down, staying calm, and working on being smooth and consistent, has pretty much gotten me past the spaz phase where I'm trying to go as fast as I can to keep up and being totally out of control and all over the place - yee haw.

The strange thing for me is that it feels like I'm riding longer from my limit now than when I started training 1 year ago. But it's proven false:confused:

Fortunately I' ve only gone down without hitting anything.

Have broken 2 shift-levers in 1 week:censored:

Hey NUN ;0), I'm with you. I ride slow enough to be safe (cuz I have kids to raise), but I do try to push myself, and have my stupid tip overs, laying it down on turns or missed turns into the bushes--and I learn from those. And actually "surviving" them takes the edge off the fear of crashing so I can go a little faster next time, and I usually make it. I think though if you're having serious crashes you're going too fast. It's not worth breakign your neck.

And most get-offs make great stories, like the time a branch caught in my helmet and picked me up off my bike, bye bye bike off by itself down the trail! (of course nobody saw this or was video taping!)

And most get-offs make great stories, like the time a branch caught in my helmet and picked me up off my bike, bye bye bike off by itself down the trail! (of course nobody saw this or was video taping!)

LOL PP that happened to one of the guys I ride with, I come around a corner and he is standing in the middle of the trail so I stopped and asked, Where is your bike??? He just nodded and pointed into the brush, Over there someplace:cry: It went a good 50 feet before stopping in the brush.

Dauntae

I'm lucky if I can get the bike out of the box trailer without crashing. It is so funny, the last time me and my buddy Nick went riding, he and the bike went down in the gravel parking lot, before he even got the motor started. Everybody was stunned, we stood around dumbfounded for a few minutes before we busted out out laughing. But the joke was on me, because once we were underway, I crashed and went down hard not more than a hundred yards from the truck, I was stoved up for the rest of the weekend. I say if you aren't crashing, you aren't riding to your fullest. (that is my excuse for falling down so you guys just shut up!!!!)

Soot

That was hilarious! :crazy: I usually start crashing went I finally break that plateau and start improving my speed again. Once I'm comfortable, I stop crashing then I learn something new to increase my speed and the cycle starts all over again.

That was hilarious! :crazy: I usually start crashing went I finally break that plateau and start improving my speed again. Once I'm comfortable, I stop crashing then I learn something new to increase my speed and the cycle starts all over again.

That's the way it was when my progress-curve was steep in skiing. When I hit a plateu in my skiing progress I almost never fell.

The fact is that I'm beginning to learn how to drift trough corners but I have definately not mastered it fully yet.:D

Seems logical...

In that case I will drop my bike many many times in the future if my ambition still is to really learn advanced off-road-riding:cry:

In that case I will drop my bike many many times in the future if my ambition still is to really learn advanced off-road-riding:cry:

Count on it. I'm super happy if I don't crash but I'm not surprised when I do. I just did this morning:ride:

i always end up crashing on the most random shit, a week after i bought my 07 yz250f this summer me and my buddy were climbing a hill and a log went in my front spokes and i flipped over frontwards and faceplanted into the hill and slid down the side of it into a tree :worthy:

and when i find myself going too fast in corners i lean into them and my back end slides WAY out i havent fallen yet but it always scares me.

making mistakes is learning

if you're hurting yourself more than you should, maybe you're pusher too hard. I lowside through a turn once in awhile. That's ok, cos I know it's just bad posture going through the turn, not sticking my foot out to balance and just a simple lack of focus for a split second.