scott summers ends with honda

October 22, 2007

Scott Summers and Honda End Relationship

- press release -

Orange, Ca., (Oct. 22, 2007) – This weekend’s final round of the Grand National Cross Country Series in Crawfordsville, IN will mark the end of an era. The relationship between Scott Summers and American Honda Motor Company will come to an end. Scott Summers first started receiving support from American Honda Motor Company during 1989. This has been one of the longest professional relationships between a sponsor and individual in our industry. During his time with Honda Summers has earned nearly 100 overall national off-road event wins as well as 9 AMA National overall championship titles.

Summers did much more then win races and titles, he set the standard of what a professional off-road racer would be measured, He will continue to be active in GNCC racing as a team owner for the next three years with a new motorcycle sponsor. Summers’ GNCC team for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons will have two riders in the XC1 class.

Statement from Scott Summers:

Over the years I had the pleasure to meet and work with a lot of great people at Honda. I have many wonderful memories from my years at Honda and have friendships that will continue. I want to personally thank all the people at Honda here in America as well as around the world for the great support and effort they put into my program during the XR years. There will be several announcements coming in the weeks ahead that I know will be as exciting for many of my friends and fans when they hear them as they are for me now. I'm very excited about my new career path and the opportunities it will allow me. My new relationship will provide an opportunity for me to attend a lot of new events and meet a lot of new people. It will also give me the opportunity to catch up with a lot of old friends, I've not seen in a while.

OMS Sports is a global, full-service sport marketing agency specializing in athlete representation, strategic marketing partnerships, industry relations, licensing and merchandising opportunities in the world of Extreme Personal Powersports. For more information, contact Sharon Richards @ (714) 538-1803.

so paul whibbley will be on what team?

That's the assumption. BMW were particularly interested in the pair because of Scott's reputation and professionalism and Paul's experience and success on a 450F in GNCCs. Whib's is the only rider to win a GNCC on a 450F outside of KTM's hired guns (Watts and Knight).

That's the assumption. BMW were particularly interested in the pair because of Scott's reputation and professionalism and Paul's experience and success on a 450F in GNCCs. Whib's is the only rider to win a GNCC on a 450F outside of KTM's hired guns (Watts and Knight).

According to last week's Quick Fill report on the GNCC website, Whibley is still talking with Honda about 2008.

Honda's racer support for offroad is minimal. I heard they are cutting back on contingency. Whibley would be better off on the BMW. IMO honda likes selling bikes and ATV's,but they don't match the support like other companies do. I have been reading up on the BMW 450 as much as I can and it sounds pretty good.

the bmw is supposed to be very lite.

The silencer slip on itself looks like it weighs 30 pounds. They have the right guy to ride it, or is he managing the team? That guy used to haul the mail on a XR600 porker.

Just looking at it, I would guess the 08 G450X is a 260 lb sled. I would ride it for sure, but no thanks to racing it, at my old age (52) yeah I know- might as well be 152 years old.

Where are the optional luggage racks?

Just looking at it, I would guess the 08 G450X is a 260 lb sled.

I heard 250lbs. For racing-afermarket exhaust,get rid of street stuff and lighter battery-you'd have a pretty light bike. The way the motor is mounted and gas tank is positioned, it should "feel" lighter than what it is. It's a good start, but I'll wait a year or 2.

Mr. Summers sure does like heavy 4 strokes. He rides them well.

He was my offroad hero back in the early to mid '90's, I had two different XR600's. I would read all of his articles on how to take advantage of the extra weight and make it work for you. I really learned a lot back then. A friend of mine used to race A class mx locally on his stock suspended XR600, he was amazing to watch and had plenty of trophies to back it up. He finally gave them up when the YZ400 was introduced.