Sign in to follow this  

Rim Damaged! Need Advice?

During a recent hair scramble I hit a large, large, large rock. The impact dented my back rim(See pictures below). A mechanic in the town I live in told me he thought it would be alright for a while and that I didn't need a new rim right away. Anyone have any advice. Will it be okay for a while or will I need a new rim. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Save your pennies for a new rim, they run about $100....Make that $160 and pop a new tire on the order as well.

And make sure the cook who mounts the tire lines up the balance dot with the rim lock where it is supposed to be. :crazy:....That dot is the lightest point on the circumference of that tire, so line it up with the heaviest point on the rim, which would be the rim lock. If the wheel does not use a rim lock, then align with the valve stem as pictured i guess. If you run dual rim locks, go half way between the 2 locks.

if it affects your riding then get a new rim, but if it doesnt i guess you will be fine. personally i would just get a new one

cjxrider125,

It rides fine. It doesn't wobble, and I tightened the spokes. Just wondering what would happen. Trying to save some money here. I know eventually I would need a new rim anyway, just trying to get by for a while.

Hey Camp,

What do you think will happen if I don't get a rim and tire?

If the dent was anywhere except the drilled holes or the seam, I would say you could probably run it. You may be able to get away with it but I wouldn't feel comfortable. I was joking about the tire. It's just worn out.

Thanks CamP,

I probably won't feel comfortable, so, I will probably splurge and buy a new one. You've been a big help. And also thanks to the rest of you that responded.

I had an Excel rim that I did that to this season racing. Way worse than that.

I ended up clamping it in a vise and squeezing in straight again. That and a 2lb hammer. Excel rims are tough.

I've straightened those with a large crescent wrench before on the OEM wheels.

have you ever seen a wheel collapse? not fun to be on the bike when hit happens. i would say if you are doing just trail rides and no big air hits you are good on that rim... maybe try to straighten it out...if you do th mx thing GET A NEW ONE! trust me the price for a new rim is waaaaay less than the trip to the hospital, helicopoter ride, surgery, and pain meds. just my $.02

Racing in the desert that sight is a common thing. I have seen bends much bigger than that and the rim was still used. If I replaced a rim everytime that happened I would go through almost a rim a race in the desert.

Save your pennies for a new rim, they run about $100....Make that $160 and pop a new tire on the order as well.

And make sure the cook who mounts the tire lines up the balance dot with the rim lock where it is supposed to be. :crazy:....That dot is the lightest point on the circumference of that tire, so line it up with the heaviest point on the rim, which would be the rim lock. If the wheel does not use a rim lock, then align with the valve stem as pictured i guess. If you run dual rim locks, go half way between the 2 locks

MMI show off :D

yeah, I would replace it... That is physically bending the whole thing... If it was just a little flat spot off to the side, no problem... I have had one of them on my 06 250r...

i would replace it.look into warp9 wheels i just bought a set and saved about $300 bucks less than excel wheels. couldnt have found a better deal,and im very pleased with the wheels.

Hey,

Actually I bought one yesterday off of ebay. Was fairly cheap. I believe it is a warp9. I am going to keep the old rim and try to repair it as a spare. I may need it desert racing.