Sign in to follow this  

Never give up looking.

I was looking for a DRZ400s, to get back to the street side of duel sporting. My 02 400s was stolen 2 and 1/2 years ago. I replaced it with an 02 DRZ400e, that I never got around to putting lights on or titling for street use. I Picked up a mean 525(now 540) exc KTM last year. Again I just didn't make it street legal. So I cheeked ebay and craigslist regularly to find a 400s on the cheap. I found a guy selling an 02 DRZ400s on craigslist for $2000. I went to look at it as a buyer. I did not know it was my DRZ. What are the odds of going to buy a bike and it's already yours? I now have my 02 DRZ400s back with new tires and all new plastic. The point is I had given up long ago on getting my 400s back. But I got lucky. Don't stop looking. If you are unlucky enough to have a bike stolen keep looking.

I really would like to swap the motor and suspension from my 400e to my 400s. is it that big of deal or should I just duel sport my 400e. I have an idea how to mount the race big gun exhaust off my E to my S, but I want to keep the pass pegs. My S is painfully stock. I forgot or never realized how corked up it was. There is no comparison between the E and the S. It's like the difference between my 525 and my E. The KTM 525(540)exe is the meanest dirt bike I have been on in the 28 years I have been riding. But on an 8 hour long ride in the 105 degree desert that I call home I'll take a DRZ any day, and I do.:worthy:

My 02 400s was stolen 2 and 1/2 years ago....

I found a guy selling an 02 DRZ400s on craigslist for $2000. I went to look at it as a buyer. I did not know it was my DRZ. What are the odds of going to buy a bike and it's already yours? I now have my 02 DRZ400s back with new tires and all new plastic.

More details :worthy:

Was he the one that took it? How you got it back? Etc...

Wow... Was he the one that stole it?

Is he in jail now?

Congrats on getting it back. Did you have to pay for it?

I don't believe He was involved in the theft. Though He should have used beter jugment. I don't think he thought it was stolen. He has helped the cops in traking the bike back through 4 would be owners. So I did not press charges. I went to his house to buy the bike, only I recognize sevral mods and then mached the VIN to an old reg. I had. So we called the cops and they let me take it home after 5 hours of waiting and paperwork.

That's great. Really good story. I hope they catch the scumbag that stole it.

I think I may've heard something about the S frame being different.

If you want to get rid of your S subframe... I'll take it off your hands for a few $

Awesome story i hear ya on never giveing up my klx 400sm got stolen a month ago i never thaut id get it back a week after it got stolen i got a ktm 625 smc then 3 weeks later the cops caught the scum bag after he wrecked it now im keeping both bikes :worthy:

what was his reaction when you informed him it was yours and stolen from you?

he was selling it with out a title?

what was his reaction when you informed him it was yours and stolen from you?

he was selling it with out a title?

The guy that was selling the bike seemed as though he was going to have a panic attack. He was not a threatening man in the least, but he got so freaked out that I wasn't to certain of him at first. I called the cops standing in this guys garage. I didn't know what to expect from the cops. This guy very likely could have gone to jail, and he knew it. In the 4-5 hours that followed the guy helped to track the bike back through 4 different guys. He was very helpful to the cops and me. He even gave me a strap to put the bike in my truck. I had forgotten mine and had an old one under the seat. If this guy leads the cops to the thief I think I made the rite choice in not pressing charges. We will see

Selling any vehicle in america with out a title is a bad idea. And I said earlier this guy was stupid wither he knew the bike was stolen or not. No title, no keys, gas cap jimmied open, come on.:worthy: Then lets sell it over the internet

.:worthy:

I think I may've heard something about the S frame being different.

If you want to get rid of your S subframe... I'll take it off your hands for a few $

I am very familiar with the difference I want both the pass. foot pegs and my big gun. I have seen this done but, would like any new input on the upgrade. As it is I think I'll need to make a heat shield to keep the pass. foot safe

Selling any vehicle in america with out a title is a bad idea. And I said earlier this guy was stupid wither he knew the bike was stolen or not. No title, no keys, gas cap jimmied open, come on. Then lets sell it over the internet

he may not have known it was stolen but he had to have known the deal wasnt right when he bought it or whatever.

the morons could have at least bought the key/lock set.

im sure he was real helpful when figured out the cops were coming.

The guy was in possession of stolen property, depending on the dollar value, in most states thats a crime against the state and only the DA's office gets to choose to prosecute or not.

My opinion is that this man/seller is a guilty as the person who stole it. Let a judge or jury decide if he helped the police enough to go easy.