Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a Twin Shock and info

I haven't ridden trials for years, although I still get a lot of miles in on my DR650

God spoke to me in a dream last night and told me I need to start riding in vintage trials events, so if anybody has a twin shock they aren't using any more let me know. I used to have a couple of Sherpa T's so I'm familiar with their characteristics, but what's the scoop (weight, power band, turning, etc.) on yamaha TY's. Somebody sell me a good twin shock.

I went from a 350 Sherpa T to a TY175 back in the early '80,didn't have to change my riding at all.The TY250 was hardly ever ridden competitively in trials over here,but the TY175 was everywhere.They were the perfect beginners bike,and that's why I got rid of the Sherpa T for the TY,it was too much for a first trials bike.The TY175 is often seen in Twinshock trials here,and good riders win expert events on them.The engine is a gem,they are really let down by the forks...but in this century we have the knowledge to sort that out.A bike from the end of the twinshock era would be my choice....Fantic.

A bike from the end of the twinshock era would be my choice....Fantic.

I sold my running condition 1985 Fantic Pro 300 two years ago.

By the end of that model year they went single shock. Couldn't kill that bike!

Big huge flywheel and loads of low end. It could lump along on single engine pulses..

Sold for $750 on Craigs list in ten minutes to a collector. Needed oil change and air filter and some TLC.

Just found out there's now "new" twin shock class to compete in..:worthy: :worthy: Oh well..

Yeah, I agree.

The TY 175 is one of the best low cost vintage trials bikes there is.

I ride one in AHRMA Trials events and do well on it against the Bultacos, Montessa's, etc. Parts are easy to find also.

In my opinion, the TY 250 is too heavy. A lot of people ride them though.

Good luck.

I just decided to put my TY175 up for sale if you're interested. Cosmetically, it is a solid 9 (yes, it's in that good of shape). I even have the original tool kit and completed documentation. It also has the original and working headlight and taillight, seat, tank, etc., all in exceptional condition.

Send me an email if you're interested...armoredveh@aol.com

Regards, Bill