08 XC-F 505 Impressions

I finally got my 505 yesterday, after it had been lost in shipping. It left Montreal on the 14 and it came in last Monday! Anyway, here's what I've my first impressions after a couple of trail rides.

Pros: -It really does handle like way smaller bike. It turns easier then my 06 KX250F. Although it does have more headshake, so a dampener might be need after winter.

-it feels light.

-the shifting is no way nearly as notchy as my KX

-the brakes are really really really awesome!!!! I hope they stay this strong!

-air filter access, why hasn't everyone done this?

-the power, it is super smooth. I was kinda expecting a really big hit like my 03 YZ450. Maybe this will come as it breaks in since I've been taking it easy. She'll still break the rear wheel loose easy but I was expecting a total gravel road wheelie machine.

-the electric start is wicked! I don't know if I'm going to be able to ride any bike without it again. My KX starts really easy but this is the best.

Cons: -The suspension is not nearly as good as my KX. The back end was swapping all over the place and the for wasn't as plush as I thought it would be.

-they are self tapping screws holding the rad shroud on, it just seems like KTM should have had some inserts with bolts. Maybe it won't be an issue, I don't know

-it sucks to lift this thing with no place to grab it.

-it didn't come with the a second battery that some have stated. I really grilled the dealer on this and he said there wasn't one in the crate.

-the battery is impossible to install. You could get the battery in if you took out the battery tray and installed it then installed them together, or you have to put the battery in as far as you could get it then use a screwdriver the pry the RH rear bottom side of the tray to get the corner of the battery past the tray where it's angled. This is just stupid! Has anyone else had this problem?

-the intake rubs against the shock spring causing a squeak. I know someone else had this problem so it's not just mine.

Overall with an hour and an half on the bike I'm really impressed and with some suspenion tuning I think I'll be really happy (I mean I'll have to be for 9 grand!).

DMN, thanks for impressions, good write-up.

I figurethere aren't many bikes with the hit of the '03 YZ, since that bike is known for that. I doubt your 505 will ever hit like your YZ.

Man that really is bogus that the battery is that hard to get to.:-o

Since KTM has such easy-to-get-to air filter setup, I figured they would do the same with the battery. Guess space would not allow that.

I was thinking about a new 450 sometime in future, after they go fuel-injected. How do the 505 and 450 compare . . . I'm guessing your 505 is a long stroke?

No, it's a bigger bore. I don't know how it compares to the Ktm SX or XC-F 450's. The battery think is kind of a let down considering that KTM is supposed to be at the tops in build quality and stuff. It fit's in fine it's just getting it in that sucks. Getting it out if no problem either. The problem is the corner of the tray catches on the battery.

I finally got my 505 yesterday, after it had been lost in shipping. It left Montreal on the 14 and it came in last Monday! Anyway, here's what I've my first impressions after a couple of trail rides.

Pros: -It really does handle like way smaller bike. It turns easier then my 06 KX250F. Although it does have more headshake, so a dampener might be need after winter.

-it feels light.

-the power, it is super smooth. I was kinda expecting a really big hit like my 03 YZ450. Maybe this will come as it breaks in since I've been taking it easy. She'll still break the rear wheel loose easy but I was expecting a total gravel road wheelie machine.

-the electric start is wicked! I don't know if I'm going to be able to ride any bike without it again. My KX starts really easy but this is the best.

Cons: -The suspension is not nearly as good as my KX. The back end was swapping all over the place and the for wasn't as plush as I thought it would be.

-they are self tapping screws holding the rad shroud on, it just seems like KTM should have had some inserts with bolts. Maybe it won't be an issue, I don't know

-it didn't come with the a second battery that some have stated. I really grilled the dealer on this and he said there wasn't one in the crate.

-the battery is impossible to install. You could get the battery in if you took out the battery tray and installed it then installed them together, or you have to put the battery in as far as you could get it then use a screwdriver the pry the RH rear bottom side of the tray to get the corner of the battery past the tray where it's angled. This is just stupid! Has anyone else had this problem?

-the intake rubs against the shock spring causing a squeak. I know someone else had this problem so it's not just mine.

Overall with an hour and an half on the bike I'm really impressed and with some suspenion tuning I think I'll be really happy (I mean I'll have to be for 9 grand!).

I personally am very disapointed in KTM this year. The xc line should have retained the six speed tranny, kick starter, and been green stickered in Cal.

Your absolutely right about nowhere to grab at rear fender, very lame.

It seems KTM might have been a little over zealous in making big changes.

Maybe in 09 they will re-think a few things or I'm going back to blue, not that they would care.

-it feels light.

I have a 08 505 and the battery is a piece of cake to access. They didnt intend to have two batterys IN the bike at the same time, (if thats what you thought) one bolt removes the seat, one rubber strap and undo battery cables and its out. Bike is great, you have to pick it up by the muffler, which I thought SUCKED but has not been an issue. I have been tunning the suspension a little and found that the stock settings didnt match the manual. The left and right fork were not the same. I reset them to comfort settings and slowed down the rebound on the shock a click or two helped. I have to do more but this was a good start. The carb needs some help if you plan to OFF ROAD it ie.(slow rough) it gets real raspy with to much throttle movement between 0 and 1/4 thtottle. When I get that straightend out I will be a happy camper.

have they turned it into a real 505 or is it still a 478? thats almost as bad(or maybe worse) as yamahas dry weight specs:crazy:

I have a 08 505 and the battery is a piece of cake to access. They didnt intend to have two batterys IN the bike at the same time, (if thats what you thought) one bolt removes the seat, one rubber strap and undo battery cables and its out. Bike is great, you have to pick it up by the muffler, which I thought SUCKED but has not been an issue. I have been tunning the suspension a little and found that the stock settings didnt match the manual. The left and right fork were not the same. I reset them to comfort settings and slowed down the rebound on the shock a click or two helped. I have to do more but this was a good start. The carb needs some help if you plan to OFF ROAD it ie.(slow rough) it gets real raspy with to much throttle movement between 0 and 1/4 thtottle. When I get that straightend out I will be a happy camper.

No I mean mine didn't come with 2 batteries. It only came with the YTX5L-BS. My battery comes out ok, but to get it in is crap! Once in it's ok. One other thing is parts here in Canada are sure coming down. The oil filter is $7.50 in the US right? I bought one here in Edmonton for $7.57 (list). I couldn't believe it. Finally something I don't feel like I got bent over for!!

Its a 477.52.

Watch those tank bolts...mine came stripped from the factory. You do not have to tighten them down like other tank bolts. I also had to order a R&D Power Pump because I could not get rid of the stumble off of idle. The bike doesn't come with a leak jet which causes it to load up off of idle. I also installed a jd jet kit which helped, but did not cure the stumble.