Sign in to follow this  

black some/ blue smoke what does it mean

My son has a drz125 with the bbr big bore kit.

He was riding without me this weekend and stated there was smoke coming from the exhaust. It was either black some or blue smoke. He could not remember. I have yet to start it again since he return. What do these color smokes indicate, or possibly indicate.

thx

MIR

My DRZ 125 started to smoke and use a noticeable amount of oil. When I took it apart I found out the oil separator ring, the wavy one between the two plain oil rings, was broken. I know this can also happen if the ends are overlapped and not butted against each other. I would keep an eye on the oil level, if it is going down this could be your problem. Mine smoked a lot though! Hope this helps.

/\ yeah but that was probably white smoke...from burning oil. Blue/black smoke is from leftover fuel not being burt off...ever been stuck behind a desiel truck?

Most BBK's smoke a bit when you hold the throttle WOT and a lot of gas is pushed into the cylinder's combustion area, because there is so much the engine doesn't have time to burn it all and its is all expelled as blue/black smoke. This happens even more when you have a bigger carb on it.

The smoke from mine was blue and was definitely oil. It is worth keeping an eye on the oil level just to rule it out. My BBR carb didn't even come with big enough jets to make the bike run! What a joke, BBR!

interesting. I will keep an eye on the oil, however it has never burned much. The other thing it is doing is flaming out quite a bit. Seems to want a higher rev (mid range) to keep it going. Air filter is fine, might be the jetting. Seems to idle fine when warming up, but once he has ridden a bit, it will flame out. He hates kicking that bike over.

MIR

yeah... if your burning oil you will have a very dark or even black plug...even a presence of oil.