Sign in to follow this  

Seal between the two different oils...

After having rebuilt my top end and replacing the crankshaft, the oild from the transmission has been making its way over to my engine side....the oil seal was replaced on the right side behind the starter clutch gears off the crankshaft... but the problem has not been fixed... is this seal the only point of contact between the 2 oils???? i ordered another seal just incase it was bad or damaged upon reassembly... it should be in on thursday.. when i was driving it it made a squealing noise almost the way it sounds like when theres poor lubrication on gears... uh oh... i hope this turn out to be another big problem after replacing the entire top end (except head).

well... after having replaced the crank seal twice, the problem wasn't solved at all... I folded, swallowed my pride and took the engine in to get diagnosed. Turns out that the gasket between the 2 case sides had a large chunk missing by the crank. Thats the last time i let that guy work on my engine. But I am glad that it was that minor and as easy of a fix... Now if only this snow would so away so i can ride....

I've got to ask...

How'd you notice this issue? (oil making it's way to the other side)

Was it capacity? Or color? or...?

And this must have been a costly error. Bummer.

Did you go back and let the 'guy' know about his mistake?? Maybe he didn't notice, or maybe he knowingly put it back together with a defunct gasket.

Let's hear more details... there's got to be a story behind this one. :busted:

The same thing happened with my bike (04R)...but it was the previous owners fault. They threw a rod, broke the cases and threw it back together with a new gasket. I looked at the site glass and noticed it had oil in it, I thought it was good ...now you know why I'm putting in that 05 X engine

I've got to ask...

Did you go back and let the 'guy' know about his mistake?? Maybe he didn't notice, or maybe he knowingly put it back together with a defunct gasket.

Let's hear more details... there's got to be a story behind this one. :busted:

I noticed this problem as the oil was makingits way from tranny to the engine side. the oil on the engine side after 30 mins of running after a complete oil change was at the threads where you screw the dipstick and cap in an inch and a bit too high on the stick. ...

I have not had an opportunity to speak with the guy who threw it together yet...

After my fix attempts with the crank seals, i brought the engine to the dealer and their mechanic tore it apart and noticed the problem as soon as the cylinder was off. He said that the holes in the gasket were oval shaped suggesting that the "guy didnt know what he was doing" and that the gasket wasnt on properly and the bolts must have been forced through and this either tore or made a kink in the gasket by the crank and it somehow got ripped out...

I haven't gotten a price tag yet for the repairs but i took the engine out of the frame to save some labour costs... i dont imagine it will be pretty...

I noticed this problem as the oil was makingits way from tranny to the engine side. the oil on the engine side after 30 mins of running after a complete oil change was at the threads where you screw the dipstick and cap in an inch and a bit too high on the stick. ...

I have not had an opportunity to speak with the guy who threw it together yet...

After my fix attempts with the crank seals, i brought the engine to the dealer and their mechanic tore it apart and noticed the problem as soon as the cylinder was off. He said that the holes in the gasket were oval shaped suggesting that the "guy didnt know what he was doing" and that the gasket wasnt on properly and the bolts must have been forced through and this either tore or made a kink in the gasket by the crank and it somehow got ripped out...

Ahhh... wow... gotta' be frustrating!! And yes... spendy!

Sorry to hear your issues. I too went down this road once, but with an XR650R. Some of it my fault, some the mechanics, and some the parts supplier. I know all too well the issues and costs that come from poor service.

... good luck with it all! :busted:

Ahhh... wow... gotta' be frustrating!! And yes... spendy!

Sorry to hear your issues. I too went down this road once, but with an XR650R. Some of it my fault, some the mechanics, and some the parts supplier. I know all too well the issues and costs that come from poor service.

... good luck with it all! :busted:

Thanks, i am more upsaet about the riding time i lost with this, it happened in the fall and i lost about more than a month of riding due to the chain of events, but now theres a couple feet of snow on the ground on top of ice... now i'm waiting to get the engine back to thrown it back in the frame and then for the snow to melt... i wish i live in Cali...:worthy:

You say you can't ride becuase of the snow, yet you signature says "Conquer the Terrain". Get some studds or something. :busted:

I've got to ask...

Let's hear more details... there's got to be a story behind this one. :ride:

JAT, the same thing happened to my 04CRF450. It started last year at the National. My clutch smelled like it was burning up, so I sat for a while and then road around the backside of Superstition back to the pits. I thought it was just a combination of the rocky sections, heat, and my Rekluse clutch. Anyway, one race later my clutch burnt out around mile 70...it was working on minute then all of a sudden I came rolling to a stop :worthy: . Checked my transmission oil when I got home and it was empty, only like two ounces of goo dripped out and it smelled really bad. Well, I thought my clutch burnt up and cooked all the oil away, so I replace the entire clutch, basket, pressure plate, clutch plates thinking that would solve it.

The next race was in Plaster City East (i.e. faster terrain) and I was able to finished the race but as I rode back to the pit I could hear my clutch squealing. The tranny was empty again and I noticed that oil had spewed out of the engine vent line all over my swing arm; the oil sight glass was also completely full. So, when I emptied the engine oil and measured it there was actually more oil than I had put in???? Turns out after talking with a fellow racer who owned an 02 CRF450R that he had the same problem and that it was a blown crank seal. So much for spending all that money on clutch parts and two DNF's :busted: .

I guess the engine side creates negative pressure when the engine is running that will suck oil out of the tranny if the seal is bad. When I took it to the local Honda shop and explained the situation they didn't even blink. I guess they had come across this problem before and my bottom end probably had 250+ hours on it at the time.

Hope this was the kind of info you were looking for.

Holy Crap Dan'O... you too?

Between the two posts of explanations... I got it. But wow, something I've never had happen (Knock on wood), and it's good to know what to look for.

And an even better reason to often check your engine oil, and level!!!

... maybe a good idea to change those seals more often then :busted: ?? I dunno. ... thoughts?!?!

Now Dan has me worried....I've not encountered this problem with well over 500 hours on the motor...original crank and seals....Maybe that complete rebuild later this year is a good idea after all if she'll go that long. Knock on wood.

You say you can't ride becuase of the snow, yet you signature says "Conquer the Terrain". Get some studds or something. :busted:

been there....studs dont help much when you're in 4 ft of snow

Now Dan has me worried....I've not encountered this problem with well over 500 hours on the motor...original crank and seals....Maybe that complete rebuild later this year is a good idea after all if she'll go that long. Knock on wood.

Yep John, it maybe be better to play it safe rather than be sorry later :busted:. I had only 10 hours on a brand new cylnder, head, valves, cam, etc. (just replaced them after grenading my top end from putting in the piston backwards :ride: during my last rebuild) when I had to take it in so the local Honda shop could tear it all back down again to replace the seals :worthy:. And since they had it open they replaced the bearings as well for good measure.

Thanks, Dan.....A little push in the right direction is what I need. The bike runs better now than ever but I know that won't be forever without some serious TLC....She deserves it. To save on labor, I'm going to take the motor out and bring it to a very good local mechanic to do the work on his bench. I will have all the parts to hand him when I drop off the motor. I'm also thinking of doing the later '06 tranny upgrades at that time too. Might just strip the frame and redo all the suspension bushings and bearings then also. But maybe by then I'll change my mind and just ride it 'til the crank falls out.....It is such a sweet ride though I can't bring myself to get another bike unless it is another 450X set-up just like it.

So i just got the engine back in the frame...She fired right up but i noticed there was a ticking noise comming from the running engine heard most predominantly through the airbox... The mechanic set my valves (needed 2 different shims as i installed the Hotcams stage 2)... any idea on what this could be?

I have no idea...

But... best get it looked into! How :applause: (frustrating)

... just be glad you didn't blow a head gasket... like this new Ford did.

(thank gawd it's covered under warranty huh?!) :)

1-HG-01A1.jpg