Sign in to follow this  

Oil puddling up on rear shock

I went out to the garage last night and notice some oil on the ground under my 06 sm and took a closer look and it seems that there is oil puddled up on the bottom of my rear shock??? Has anyone else had this problem?? Did I blow my shock out ??? HELP....

How is the bike's oil level? It could be one of the hoses from the oil breather box is off and its spraying oil on it.

How does the shock feel when you sit on it and move up and down?

Try cleaning like Bronco said...

Then bounce the shock through its range...

If you see residue on the shaft or bumper, its probably the shock...

If not, try running your bike and recheck...

If you see residue after the ride, its probably from the breather, or other hoses...

Also, if you've recently oiled your chain, that may have kicked up onto your shock too...

Hope that helps...:worthy:

What breather tube would I be looking at I just checked and I couldn't see any oil anywhere else..Do I need to take all of the plastics off??? It looks like the oil is black...THANKS

What breather tube would I be looking at I just checked and I couldn't see any oil anywhere else..Do I need to take all of the plastics off??? It looks like the oil is black...THANKS

The black box is easy to find.... Remove the cover on the exhaust side and then just follow the 3 black hoses from the top of the motor (head), bottom of the motor (crank case) and the one that connects the "black box" to the breather box (where the air filter is).

This is the box.... (found a pic)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=19973

Nice thanks for the picture and how would the oil get from up there to my rear shock?? I guess I will have to see when I take it off...Where does it usually leak from??

Nice thanks for the picture and how would the oil get from up there to my rear shock?? I guess I will have to see when I take it off...Where does it usually leak from??

One of those hoses could be leaking or disconnected.... The oil doesn't "flow" in there it just sprays a little.... So if the top one was off oil would mist out same with the bottom hose...

If they are connected properly, then look at the shock. However, since you said the old was black, I bet it is one of those hoses. Also, its a super easy fix, connecting a hose.... :worthy:

No problem and good luck. When I put my motor back in after Eddie rebuilt it I forgot to connect one of those hoses.... It was a mess oil everywhere. Glad it was only my stupidity.... :worthy:

About what price does that run ???

Well that all depends on what you want done.... I broke my crank case installing a kick start kit (don't ask)... So I got a new case from E bay, sent that, the kick start kit, and my motor to Eddie. Then I said well while he has it there I might as well:

1. get RHC valves and springs in a new E head

2. get manual decomp on my E head machines out

3. put in some hot cams

4. E base gasket

So it was basically a total motor rebuild.... Cost I will not post because Eddie has a business and he makes his prices, but I will say that I asked my dealer to price out the work and it was cheaper to ship to Eddie from NJ to CO than it was to have them do it. Also, I know its done right. :worthy:

Now let me add that my bike is 100% dirt but stays mostly street legal because in NJ you don't want a trailer for your bike. I also didn't want a big bore kit because the bike already dig trenches and its not a racer most of the time....

So in my "leftover parts" box I have a S head with valves and cams, crank case that will work unless you want to put in a kick start kit.... My wife hates that pile.... :worthy:

Oh yea and it my other "parts" pile I have a 2006 HD 88" motor minus the case. If you need any parts or the stock exhaust (Road King) for a 88 inch twin cam HD. Wife doesn't even know that pile exists...

Oh yea and it my other "parts" pile I have a 2006 HD 88" motor minus the case. If you need any parts or the stock exhaust (Road King) for a 88 inch twin cam HD. Wife doesn't even know that pile exists...

I sense another 'expensive' story here, do tell :worthy:

Neil. :worthy: :worthy: :eek:

I sense another 'expensive' story here, do tell :worthy:

Neil. :worthy: :worthy: :eek:

Bought a 2006 HD Road King (EFI), then decided to add the 103" kit to the stock motor, then I though more and got the upgrades clutch, VH true duel pipes, race tuner ignition, K&N intake and filter, upgraded horn (safety first :eek:).

The 103" kit is a 95 inch kit with a stroker crank, so basically I rebuilt the entire motor.... dyno tuned with race tuner with 80+ torque and just under 100 HP. I have new cams for it now that will bring the HP over 100....

Oh yea, it also has hard lockable bags, removable tour pack, removable passenger backrest, removable windshield, spoked wheels, etc....

VERY expensive toys story but saved a lot of money because I bought it when the 07s where coming out. I will not quote the price but I could have bought 3 DRZs.......

I think I have heard this line before, several times :crazy:

VERY expensive toys story but saved a lot of money

All I can say is, I'm glad Harleys don't do it for me, particularly with my very shallow wallet :worthy:

2 wheels is GOOD, doesn't matter what they are

Whatever you do, do it well, and ENJOY, that is all that matters :worthy: :worthy:

Neil. :worthy::eek: :eek:

I had some red oil stuff on the ground under my rear shock area and it ended up being the filter oil off my new K&N filter dripping out of the bottom of the airbox and onto the ground. lol