Hauling a bike in cold weather

I'm thinking about hauling my bike in the back of my pick up and traveling about 2800 miles. I'll be traveling from the Nebraska to the Arizona. Any special things I need to do to prep my bike for the trip. The weather might be in the teens for a least 1/2 the trip.

I see this Dirt Bag advertised on Thumpertalk. Anybody used one before?

http://dirtbagdesigns.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Any comments would be appreciated

the conditions you stated are basically better than here where I live 8 out of 12 months and I do most of my riding in the winter. I've never used anything more than a tarp to cover my bike and I only use a tarp when it's either raining or snowing, most of the time when it's just raining I won't even bother but as for bike prep if it's traveling in a bed the two things I do are plug the exhaust with a silencer plug made for powerwashing to prevent water from building up in your pipe and I also stick a rag in my airbox inlet just incase aswell as I run my bike with gas in the off position to drain lines so no gas pisses out of the overflow while loading/unloading/traveling.

hope that helps and have a good trip. :worthy:

imo he wont be getting hit with salt unless he's tailgating the car infront of him the whole way, after all he did say he was hauling in a truck not a trailer and unless his tires illegally stick out more than 4 inches on each side without fender flares then I doubt assloads of salt will be flying up and then back down into his bed.

imo he wont be getting hit with salt unless he's tailgating the car infront of him the whole way, after all he did say he was hauling in a truck not a trailer and unless his tires illegally stick out more than 4 inches on each side without fender flares then I doubt assloads of salt will be flying up and then back down into his bed.

I can attest that it will-it gets in the air, passing cars spray it up, and envision a passing 18 wheeler goes by-SPPPLLLAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!

My tires on my PU are nicely tucked within the wheel wells, but I still get spray all the way up the side of the truck on the side of the topper.

But, if the road is dry all the way (it won't be-Murphy's Law) then the salt spray would be minimal.