Perry 11/10 Saturday

So here's my race report.  Ouch lol  Nah, it wasn't that bad.  The course was pretty good, especially by AMC standards.  Fairly open and fast, yet not too sketchy.  It was Greg H, Brad C, myself, and Bob Bates (new guy in my club) on our row and we were all pretty evenly matched in speed.  After the first 3 races where I felt like I was too conservative, I told myself I need to push harder at the start.  So I went down twice and got hung up on an off camber log in the first test, costing me more time than if I had just rode smooth lol  2nd test I pushed again and wrecked twice again!  Both of those wrecks hurt.  They had a long grass track section and twice coming out of a sweeper I lost the rear and had fairly high speed low sides and with as dry as it's been, the ground was hard like concrete.  Knees, hips, and elbows on both sides are pretty bruised up and sore today.  After that I kept it on 2 wheels except for the last section.  1 thing that was really frustrating is that I effed up Waldo hill twice yesterday.  Been racing there since '06 and have always cleaned it before.  That was in a section with an Emergency check on the back side.  Dropped at least 2 extra minutes in that section.  The last test I was really hauling and we had a down hill quad trail that was one of the few wet spots due to a spring, got to the bottom and low sided in the mud and coated my hands in slop.  I missed the flip by 10 seconds on the back side, so there was another point.   I finished 4th with a 23.  3rd dropped a 23 with less Emergency points and 2nd was a 20.  A bit frustrated that I still got a crappy result due to my mistakes, but it's better than getting a crappy result because I rode like a pussy!  

Edited by CBus660R
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl012865 said:

Hello, was told to check the Perry thread to find rides in Southern Ohio... can someone point me in the right direction?

I am a newb to dirt sp I need to learn and ride "green" trails for a while.

Thanks

Copperhead dual sport this weekend in Logan Ohio. Next weekend is the Little Burr Enduro in McCarthur Ohio. They will have a sportsman class where you can just trail ride it.

Edited by ghog
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ghog said:

Copperhead dual sport this weekend in Logan Ohio. Next weekend is the Little Burr Enduro in McCarthur Ohio. They will have a sportsman class where you can just trail ride it.

That might be a little much if he is a noob, but if you feel up to it Crazycarl then by all means you will get a better ride than most public areas. Street legal is needed for connecting trail sections.

As for "green" trails, Wayne Ntl forest or Pike state forest would be a good starting point. Be careful of on coming 4 wheel traffic. When you get bored with those, Perry forest is next. Then look at dual sport rides as mentioned by ghog.

There is a small riding area/club (aka DDR) in Dayton some guys here belong to if that is near you.

• Like 1

Just now, CrazyCarl012865 said:

Thanks guys... I will for the time stick to trail riding and continue to learn. Where is this Little Burr at?

Geez, feel like I'm going to crash alot.. lol

Enduro NE of Chillicothe. 

• Like 1

The majority of the OH dual sport and enduro events are in the area between Chillicothe and Athens with the remaining events being in the Zanesville area. Almost all will require street legal or the appearance of it at your own risk of getting a ticket. A natl enduro would be the exception.

These are bike only events with a variety of virgin single track, two track trail, old dirt roads and street connector sections. Most of the trail is on private property that the owners allow the club to use for the event so it is your only chance to ride those trails. Unlike public trails that are beat to death daily by quads.

• Like 2

Normally as long as you have headlight, taillight, and license plate you will be good. Ohio law also requires left hand mirror and horn, but most don't have that. A lot of the money from the events goes to the community, so the police are really cool about it. From the pics of your bike it looks street legal, so your good there. The Little Burr starts at the Vinton county airport. There's a thread about it in the Midwest section. A lot of guys on here help set it up. 

Edited by ghog
  • Like 2

Cool, the bike is street legal, plated and insured. No problems there. Just got back from my suspension techs shop, we lowered the front 1/4" and the sag was 1" too much so it was reduced as well. I can now plant both feet on the ground evenly I am 6' 200lbs. Rebound and compression set too, feels plush now. Ordered a 12 tooth front and a 53 tooth for the rear as I don't like the lack of low end torque.. I want it sooner.so that should put me in the ball park we'll see.

I will look at the flyer for the upcoming enduro, sounds like it all goes to a good cause(helping the needy)... 

Can't wait to get out do some serious learning.. getting comfortable with how it feels already.

Edited by CrazyCarl012865

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl012865 said:

Cool, the bike is street legal, plated and insured. No problems there. Just got back from my suspension techs shop, we lowered the front 1/4" and the sag was 1" too much so it was reduced as well. I can now plant both feet on the ground evenly I am 6' 200lbs. Rebound and compression set too, feels plush now. Ordered a 12 tooth front and a 53 tooth for the rear as I don't like the lack of low end torque.. I want it sooner.so that should put me in the ball park we'll see.

I will look at the flyer for the upcoming enduro, sounds like it all goes to a good cause(helping the needy)... 

Can't wait to get out do some serious learning.. getting comfortable with how it feels already.

What bike, that sounds like really low gearing unless it's a 250 or less. A 12 front is going to wear fast. I know low gear sounds good but dirt bikes aren't jeep rock crawlers, you're better off with a little more speed, keep your ars to the front of the seat, elbows up, think bench press position, feet on the pegs, COMMIT, COMMIT,COMMIT to make the obstacle. Believe me that is easier than dragging you bike back and trying again. 

• Like 2

What bike, that sounds like really low gearing unless it's a 250 or less. A 12 front is going to wear fast. I know low gear sounds good but dirt bikes aren't jeep rock crawlers, you're better off with a little more speed, keep your ars to the front of the seat, elbows up, think bench press position, feet on the pegs, COMMIT, COMMIT,COMMIT to make the obstacle. Believe me that is easier than dragging you bike back and trying again. 
+1, before trying ridiculously low gearing, try riding faster.
  • Like 1

Oh dude, that's 17 years old. I hope it's well cared for. You should get on KTMtalk and do some reading, you will have to dig into the old stuff, I think the RFS section has some pinned post at the top that will be full of info.

Edited by Uknow
  • Like 1

It seems to have been verywellcared for, the forks have been reworked and the rear spring has been replaced.with a progressive 250 from what we saw today while setting up sag.

It seems to have been sitting for some time, the clutch plates were not releasing until late this afternoon after I rode it hard for an hour. Plus I immediately changed the oil, filters, cleaned the screens, cleaned and lubed the air filter, flushed and.replaced the clutch with mineral oil(magura mineral oil is recommended but just bought 100% mineral oil instead). 

Lubed chain and topped off the radiator... the temp was around 185-196 while riding before I turned the fan on(manual switch). There is no binding of the steering head or any deficiencies that I can find as of yet...

I think i will check the valve clearances as soon as possible. I also am considering getting new clutch plates/fibers(Barnett or Ebc).

I will check the other forum for pinned info on the rfs to see what info may be available... 

All I know is the thing is tall! Haha...

Edited by CrazyCarl012865

I don't like being a dream smasher but there are very small amount of green trails at the Little Burr.

If you want to show up at the start and ask if you can help you will meet some good people and get some good advice. It's a great way to network your way into what your looking for.

• Like 3