XR400 Sprocket / Gearing

Ok,

I'm new to the XR400 and have done a search but would like to know what you think.

I believe the stock gearing on my 03 XR400 is a 15/45. I would like to know if there is an optimum set-up for the sprockets where I could just make a quick counter sprocket change without changing chain length each time.

This bike will be used for dualsports and some single track. ?

Regulator, how do u find the gearing u have atm?

I realize u r looking at changing, but can u elaborate as to y?

'Our' standard gearing here is 15-40, this thing does 150+, i ran out of road when i tried for top speed once yesterday.

I want more snap, and i also want to be able to idle down steep hills at less than walking speed if i choose to.

I had a go at this hill out the back of town where a fire crew punched in an emergency firebreak during a fire last year, it starts as a turn so there is no run up, and it twists and turns on the way up and gets progressively steeper, so steep the only way i got up there on my 270 was with a brand new tyre and i ended up using nothing but the bottom end grunt to get me past the steepest bit, as in idling,but uphill.

Anyhows, i didnt make on the 400, check the r/tyre in the photo in another thread, and the road gearing didn't have the bottom end grunt to get up.

That was one problem.

The main problem which i'm finally getting to, was on the way back down.

Even after i screwed the idle down so far that the motor was barely turning over, with that gearing it wanted to go faster than what i wanted to so i had to clutch it, which cost me the rear engine braking that i have learnt to love[with 4t].

Don't get me wrong, if the trail allows it i will hammer going downhill, but this wasn't the hill for that.

So anyhows i went to 'the shop' today and had a look at some sprockets, a 48 looked like too big a jump from where i'm at now, and long story short, i ended up totally befuddled as to what to get.

I went down there with 14-46ish in mind, should i still be going for that?

If so, what will that put my top end speed at roughly?

[this is an open Q, not just for Regulator]

Cheers [man i love my 400:worthy: ? ]

i run 15/45 everywhere. My dad likes his 14/45 combo, but i prefer the taller gearing because i can get for out of each gear. My bike lugs really well and i can snap it just goes. the only time it gets to be a problem is when it is really really tight, but even then it isn't too bad. of course it is like someone asking "what gear should i use going up that hill?" Well you got to listen and find where engine is making its power, right? You wouldn't lug it and risk stalling? So really its all up too how you want to do it and how it applies to your riding style. I myself, tend to be a hammer down kind of rider that likes the tall gearing. but someone else might want to be able to go slower and crawl up over stuff vs. wheeling over it ?

pick up a 14 and a 15 tooth sprocket and try them, you never know what works for you until you try it.

I have the same bike and it was setup for the road as well. I found that the only problem I have with the gearing is when I need to lift the front end over a log. I'm looking to change the chain and sprockets for the days when I'm going to do a group ride, If need be. If someone can answer the question about what works best for the XR400 let us know! Thanks

Omg, what a hijack, soz about that, i think i thought i was in my chain thread.

I do know i just got off my bike when i posted that, maybe a bit of adrenaline was still running thru me.

Don't worry about it. Its all good info.

Some great stuff here guys - According to the chart a 14/42 = 15/45 so I'm leaning towards a 15/47 with a counter sprocket change to a 14 but I need a little more seat time to decide. Keep them comming! ?

well i have just gone to a 45 on the back, still 15 on the front.

i feel as tho i just wasted 80 bux on it.

should've at least gone to 46.

i know i'm planning on putting a 14 on there, but that only leaves a 13 for an option for real nasty snotty shit and i don't know if it will be enuf.

just impressions at this stage, tomorrow i'm off for a 180km run to Mt Emu from Sandy Crk, that will be a good get to know her run.

safe riding this weekend ya all. ?