Sign in to follow this  

06 - 07 riders with 22" clamps vs. the 08

I'm looking for feedback from any riders who upgraded from the 06 -07 with 22" offset clamps to the 08.

Is there a noticable change in the handling??

Thanks

dont know about the 06 07, but my 08 can run rings around them. line variation is total freedom. turning way inside while they wander outside on the gas. i look back and they are trying too hard.

then WFO and i am gone.

the 08 can pivot and power on. more like a 2 stroke. but thats not all.

its in the powerband too. let them rail the berm. i can drift into the off camber and still come out ahead.

throw in the hpsd and what u got?

dont even try

I'm interested in knowing this, too...as I'm considering Honda and not wanting to drop for an 08 given how cheap used 06s are. The 08s are amazing, though.

There is very little difference in these bikes between 06 and 08. I believe all frames and swingarm and shock linkages are the same therefore good set up is the key. There are disadvantages to steering dampeners as well. not to say a 08 stock is not better but a 05 can be brought up to snuff with little problem. the 06's for under 5 are the way to go, the amount of money saved put into the hands of a good tuner can probably easily outperform a 08!

I have the offsets (22mm) on my 07 and I rode a friends 08 and could not tell a difference in turning.

I have the offsets (22mm) on my 07 and I rode a friends 08 and could not tell a difference in turning.

That's because they are essentially the same bike.

The manufacturers get a minimum of three years out of their designs before they make new wholesale model changes.

I didnt notice the stabalizer either.. But maybe it was on the softest setting. Maybe that was the question that CHIPJ was asking?

I'm running an 07 with --------- 20" ------------- pro-circuit triples and i can carve my initials in in both of my buddys new 08's at will. The true secret is not just in the front offset but rather tweeking the rear trailing to compliment the front.

If you buy an 05-07 and change to 22's you have an 08 ( the damper is a hoax).

and as far as headshake i've never had it exept on my old 99 rm250.

I'm running an 07 with --------- 20" ------------- pro-circuit triples and i can carve my initials in in both of my buddys new 08's at will. The true secret is not just in the front offset but rather tweeking the rear trailing to compliment the front.

Not sure what you mean by "tweaking the rear". What are you doing?

What about the specific 1st and 2nd gear ignition mapping and the tapered head pipe .... surely these make a "noticeable" difference :thumbsup:

Not for me they don't mine has a CR 500 motor in it and the whole point of it is to break traction but in FL in the sand that is what you want!

When I rode my buddies 08, the engine mapping and tappered exaust is something that you can not feel!

And tweaking the rear? what, different sag makes for different stearing geometry, is that what your saying chillydog???

What about the specific 1st and 2nd gear ignition mapping and the tapered head pipe .... surely these make a "noticeable" difference :thumbsup:

Depends on how and where you ride. On the track I rarely use 1st or 2nd gear.

I believe the gear mapping includes 3rd gear, which is the "money" gear for most of us who race a 450.

So, between the '06, '07, and '08, if I'm correct:

'06 is the hardest hitting

'07 got a revised ECM that reduces the hit to make it more rideable

'08 got a system that keeps track of which gear you're in, and has a different igntion map for the first three gears.

Sounds like the biggest change in ignition mapping was between '06 and '07 -anyone ridden all three? And how good of a rider to you have to be to even notice the difference in ignition mapping between the years?

A sub $5k '06 is sounding better and better every day......

Ahhhhh ancient japa-eze secret......

The front end is only 1/2 of the equation grasshopper. The rear is the other 1/2.

Adjusting the rear wheel all the way in or out has an adverse effect on how you bike pivots. IE -> Trailing angle. Of course this will require adjusting the chain to attain perfect tension. IE -> adding / subtracting links, using 1 tooth up or down in the sprocket, etc etc etc. The outcome of this adjustment alone is sometimes greater than adding lesser degree trees. Personally i removed 1 link and have the adjusters almost all the way in. Depending on your home mx track this recipe might not be for everyone. But remember this addage my ol gran pappy used to tell me

" Any jack-ass can pin it down a straight away,, You better learn 2 turn if you want to win"

As far as the average shmoe distinguishing the subtle nuiances between the years. Never gonna happen. Even in completely showroom stock condition no 2 bikes are a like.... It's due to the "PRODUCTION SLOP FACTOR" Your best bet is to find a deal & tweek it the way YOU want it.

I think bikes are like pizza & women........ even the worst i ever had was still pretty good.

I believe the gear mapping includes 3rd gear, which is the "money" gear for most of us who race a 450.

3rd through 5th gear have the same ignition map.

From 06 to 07 they changed the the top end a little. I have both! In 07 they went to smaller intake valves and moved the decompression release to the cam gear instead of right on top of the cam. I have had problems with the 07 but not with the 06.

----06 = 200 hours (no problem) ----07 = 10 hours -----blow up !!!!!

The mapping change thing did not come till 08

yes there is a noticeable difference in handling. I have them on my 05. The bike will actually want to lean into the turns and not stand up when you hit something. Turning is faster for sure.

down side is that on fast rough stuff you can get more headshake then with the stockers. But it has to be really rough.

u must be joking. my 05 is a freight train compared to my feather light 08.

try carving yor initials in my 08 and all you will carve is another notch for your loss my friend

u must be joking. my 05 is a freight train compared to my feather light 08.

try carving yor initials in my 08 and all you will carve is another notch for your loss my friend

LOL! I used to be cocky snot nosed "thought i knew it all punk once too" so i'll just let you slide........................... boy!