What did you do to your DRZ400 today?

Crunch406

Well we're getting into summer here. So I rode over to a friends house at 10pm Sat night 5km tar followed by 10km of Blue Gum forest to Bollarra, spotted a few small black Wallabies and a wombat nothing jumped out, so it was all good.

Loaded the bike on the Landcruiser, with his in the dark. Got to sleep about 12pm. Up at 5am and on the road for 1 1/2 hrs down the Freeway West to Neerim to the 2007 Blue Light Rally.

We pulled in, unloaded the 4wd at 7am for registration and scrutineering. Approx 1000 bikes lined up warming up was a sight to behold. I was setup with the 28lt aqualine tank and Dunlop 606's, thanks to TT, also the only one I saw with casesavers too, thanks again.

The conditions were 25degC, with thunder storms building and overcast, with light spits of rain. The track as I headed of surprised me with how wet it was in sections considering it hadn't rained for 5 days. Leaving me with not many options but follow the ruts as going around them only caused the front or back to slide into it.

Didn't stop me, just left me having to go with the flow a bit. Came to a group of 10-15 modern enduro bikes on a corner at the bottom of a hill. Thought it must be a check point, only to turn the corner and see the first decent bog hole. I just kept going, and left the fancy bikes still in contemplation on the other side. This happened a few times much to my amusement, worse though was on a single track and you had to wait for 10mins to cross a bridge and up a boggy rut the other side.

The worst section was a 3ft rut across a 10ft gap that everyone was being sent through. My friend hit it first on his DR650. Caseing out and sliding to a stop. Unable to get it out, I jumped off and gave it a shove out the other side and went back jumped on my bike. Hit the rut with a good burst of first, clutched it as it reached the far side, popped the clutch and jumped on the back of the seat lauching me out the other side and past my mate still going up the other side. Thinking he'd be catching me as we got to a winding gravel road, I got on it using all the road with confidence as all traffic was in one direction. Thinking I was doing real well maintaining 50-60km/h through the corners, only to be rounded up by one of the police sweep riders sideways at 65-70. He got up to 90ish on the next straight, got it sideways 5-10 meters before the next corner and blasted away, motard style. Most impressive riding i've seen on gravel.

I get to the next check point and waited for Davin, i'd made about 10-15mins on a few others that had started with us but Davin never arrived. After hitting a rock at 90 and corksrewing the bike into the track. Handle bars went in first destorying his speedo, both indicators, clutchlever and new polisport handgaurds, I was told I may have to go back for him after the last sweeps came through so waited 1/2 an hr only to be told he must have been DNF'd and driven out. So I got back on and kept going. With some specky views of the Baw Baw Ranges.

When I get back, Davin is at the car with the bike, as they rigged a clutch of sorts and sent him out on the main roads. But i'd missed the cut off for the second loop. I'd completed 62km's, only putting a foot down a few times and no get off's so it was a great day out. I hung around for the prizegiving where they gave away a 08 Yamaha WR450 and heaps of fox and shift gear.

Once it finished at 4.30, I jumped on my bike and rode through a burst of rain and hail back up the freeway to Trafalgar at $1.20 turned right and blasted some damp tar twisties back to Mirboo North. Took 1/2 an hr off the trip and was home in 1hr.

A true dual sport day, and I could not have been happier with the way the DRZS performed. Even catching and passing a few pure enduro bikes. The only time I felt that it wasn't as good as an enduro bike was on fast rough woops, where it lost a bit of traction compared to the lighter bikes.

Cheers Kem

• Like 4

I feel you pain, that is why I moved a little farther south. Was close to 70 today....

Ditto, used to live up in cold NY, but I moved to Charlotte NC a little over a year ago, love it. 70's hear today too. I installed the MSR three finger levers that I ordered from the TT store. The brake lever did not have the brake light switch actuator, so I had to fab one. I really like these levers as they are shorter than the stock ones with silicone rubber strips on them. Although I have hand guards on my bars, they're the plastic kind and flex just enough to bend/brake the tip off of the full length levers. This mod should solve this. ?

Took the SM out this morning. Looked nicer out than yesterday. Roads were still wet. Took it easy until I got to town on drier roads. Damn cold. Got cussed out by some road rager for no good reason. I liked how he had his window cracked enough two blow his cigarette smoke back to his two kids in car seats behind him. I extended him a left handed gesture as I passed him getting on the freeway.:ride: Gave another SM a wave as we crossed each other on I-5. Practiced shifting up during my wheelies on the side roads home.? Now I'm here on TT, planning my next mods.

• Like 2

Installed my new enduro engineering handguards,MCCT, oil change and filter

cleaned it ,installed new front fender(polisport yz blue) matches color reaL well and much better shape, went down hard last weekend and completely folded the stocker. Oh also lubed all cables and stil waiting for my IMS TEAM TANK. I think thats it.

Almost forgot new foot pegs ims and moved the shifter up one notch!

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to What did you do to your DRZ400 today?