Crunch406

What did you do to your DRZ today?

19,287 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, drifteast said:

Very nice, to say the least!! :thumbsup:  I admire you guys with the skills and equipment to come up with something like that!  How are you liking the battery so far?

Appreciate it! The battery is sweet! While I was in the cutting mood, I cut the sub frame and the FMF can too!

The rainbow spokes are a nice touch.

As Jerry Seinfeld once said "Not there is anything wrong with that".

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Ondastreet said:

I went with a lil different cut with the battery in mind. I did put a smaller battery with a custom mounted bracket, still behind the side panel. 

Nice battery and good work on the bracket, but are you keeping those terminals exposed?

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Nice battery and good work on the bracket, but are you keeping those terminals exposed?

Thx, I hadn't really thought about it, may make a cover of some sort. 

21 hours ago, Ctopher86 said:

Smoothie straws are great. They cover the spokes perfectly to keep the paint off of them

I used painter's tape. I taped them up last night and plastidipped them tonight. 

20180710_193037.jpg

20180710_205331.jpg

20180710_220140.jpg

3 people like this

I did the 3x3 mod with the JD kit. After cutting the airbox using a small torch to warm the plastic I decided to hack off that giant fender too. I started by following the line of the "hump" under the license plate, then decided to make it match the lines of the bike. Cuts like butter after heating it a little. There are slots in the fender already for bolting the plate on, you just need to open them up with a drill, running the bit sideways to hog em out. 

42451040665_025e9cac68_b.jpg

43354995101_afaf9431f4_b.jpg

42638245384_b634ba6f4d_b.jpg

41546077420_0cc1e1dea2_b.jpg

Tools needed for this.. 

42451037215_ed7ed1ea05_b.jpg

8 people like this

I had almost forgotten what the stock tail light looked like. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I had almost forgotten what the stock tail light looked like. 

The Horror................:eek:

5 people like this

The Horror................:eek:
Selective memory lol
1 person likes this

I finally upgraded from the stock tires and installed a new set of Dunlop D606’s, I’m not very impressed with the front...IMG_1291.JPG

3 people like this

9 hours ago, KeithDRZ400 said:

I finally upgraded from the stock tires and installed a new set of Dunlop D606’s, I’m not very impressed with the front...IMG_1291.JPG

Sorry to hear the disappointment in the front tyre. This has been stated over and over again in this forum concerning the Dunlop 606 front. For what it's worth, most found that the MT21 front coupled with a D606 Rear provided the best front stability and rear traction. I actually just bought this combo to replace the much cheaper Kenda Trackmaster II's. The Kenda is fairly soft and wore down quickly so I am curious to see how the D606 holds up. I am finishing up putting the last coat of paint on my rims and will be installing the MT21/D606 combo along with the Tubliss system. Should be able to air down well under 10 PSI for maximum traction. If the D606 proves to wear quickly, I may just go to a more 50/50 tyre and get the Shinko 244's which is a kinda "do it all" tyre that may last a bit longer when subjected to 100 degree days on the Tarmac. 

Sorry to hear the disappointment in the front tyre. This has been stated over and over again in this forum concerning the Dunlop 606 front. For what it's worth, most found that the MT21 front coupled with a D606 Rear provided the best front stability and rear traction. I actually just bought this combo to replace the much cheaper Kenda Trackmaster II's. The Kenda is fairly soft and wore down quickly so I am curious to see how the D606 holds up. I am finishing up putting the last coat of paint on my rims and will be installing the MT21/D606 combo along with the Tubliss system. Should be able to air down well under 10 PSI for maximum traction. If the D606 proves to wear quickly, I may just go to a more 50/50 tyre and get the Shinko 244's which is a kinda "do it all" tyre that may last a bit longer when subjected to 100 degree days on the Tarmac. 

I wish I would have red a little more before I bought the D606 front! I will give it some time and play with the air pressure a little, hopefully I find some traction with it. I’m considering picking up a set of trackmasters for mine if I don’t like these, their so cheap I don’t think I can care too much about wear. My actual riding is probably less than 50/50 but when I’m offroad I want the traction! What kind of mileage are you seeing with the trackmasters?
2 people like this

I wish I would have red a little more before I bought the D606 front! I will give it some time and play with the air pressure a little, hopefully I find some traction with it. I’m considering picking up a set of trackmasters for mine if I don’t like these, their so cheap I don’t think I can care too much about wear. My actual riding is probably less than 50/50 but when I’m offroad I want the traction! What kind of mileage are you seeing with the trackmasters?

Low milage, high traction, just like any good dirt tire.

Probably around 1000 hard miles.

1 person likes this

Low milage, high traction, just like any good dirt tire.  

That’s pretty good in my opinion, I only got 1400 out of the stock “Deathwings”. I will gladly sacrifice some longevity for added offroad performance.
2 people like this

40 minutes ago, KeithDRZ400 said:

Well the bike just hit 3000 miles and the rear had about 20% left in the middle and the sides were about 60% (more road than dirt miles).  The front looks about 60% and probably could have stayed on the bike. It felt good and not many washouts in corners or loose gravel/sand. All in all they have great traction and mount easily. No complaints from me.  There is one concern I might comment on and that is that they are softer side walls and I did have a pinch flat with about 15PSI in the front going over a Train track crossing last summer. It probably could have happened with another tyre brand as well but who really knows? I have a trip set for the Colorado Rocky Mountains in two weeks and decided to get new shoes for the trip. Plus the Tubliss system requirements says it is best fitted with new tires and since I had my front off multiple times with tube repair, I was concerned about achieving a solid seal which is critical in the Tubliss system. I felt it best to stick with the combo and get the MT 21/D606 to begin my search for what tire is best for me and my riding style.   My kenda will be a back up in-case I shred the front in some kinda freak accident. 

I am curious if I will get the same mileage or better and will it have better traction/dirt manners than the Kenda. You can seriously buy 2 sets of Kenda Trackmaster 760  or Shinko 244's for the same price as 1 MT21/D606 combo.   But people swear it is the best DOT tire for getting in the dirt.  Let's compare notes as we put them through the gauntlet of twisty trails and gnarly drop offs. 

59 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

Low milage, high traction, just like any good dirt tire. emoji106.pngemoji106.png

True!!  Probably depends on type of terrain too. I have been in areas of Texas that is hard packed with razor sharp rock beds that shred a tire within 800 miles or so and then I have had the same tire in areas of soft/mid top soil around Arkansas that seemed to last forever.

Now that I have added the extra boost of the Big Bore and Hot Cams- I am adjusting my tire budget regardless of dirt conditions.    :lol::banana:

2 people like this

Well I dropped the air pressure to about 12psi and “tested” the tire a little on my way home from work. It made a pretty noticeable difference and I would call the front end tolerable now instead of terrible. I got em in some mud and some loose shale, the mud was actually a little easier than the shale. The rear tire actually seems to grip half decent most of the time.

2 people like this