Crunch406

What did you do to your DRZ today?

Sounds like it's over fuelling a bit, a cheap way to work that out is to turn your fuel tap half way between on/off and restrict the flow and from there you can work out which way to go with your jets or fuel screw etc, etc, always remember if you change one thing from standard then there's a domino effect which usually results in a very light weight wallet

• Like 1

I did the same on my 2018 sm a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I am about 230 lbs. There is a thread titled “3x3 mod no change?” If you want to check it out. There were some good pieces of advice. That being said, I am also a bit underwhelmed and looking into cams and a new exhaust.
Bought mine new in 2002. Within a matter of days, got a DynoJet stage1 kit, and full FMF exhaust. No 3×3, just ripped the snorkel off, bike ran good. Next mod was stage 2 HotCams, nice lilttle gain.

Then I decided to get a Namura BB kit $300 (bad idea). Blew head gasket twice, so I put the stock top-end back on. The BB kit was about an equivalent gain as the cams, for reference. THEN I finally did the 3×3 mod & JD jet kit and tuned it in.
I think you'll be happy with exhaust & cams..
  • Like 2

I don't think I'm having the same issues you were. I guess my expectations were too high. It def smoothed the bike out. It'd pop like crazy on decel and that yoshi slip on is loud AF. I thinking about putting the stocker back on just so everyone in my neighborhood will stop thinking I'm an &%$#@!. It would surge/stumble a little bit on mid power but once it was super warm it'd stop.
Think I have the stock gearing so I may drop a tooth like they mention in the other thread. I don't mind sacrificing a little top end for more grunt. Riding on the highway sucks anyways.
Put your needle on 4th groove from top.

I did the same on my 2018 sm a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I am about 230 lbs. There is a thread titled “3x3 mod no change?” If you want to check it out. There were some good pieces of advice. That being said, I am also a bit underwhelmed and looking into cams and a new exhaust.
Ah cool. Thanks I'll go check it out.
I bought my SM new 12 years ago and 100% understand what you 2 are going through. As someone that has purchased 3 different exhaust systems, re-jetted the stock carburetor and has bought the Edelbrock Quick Silver, FCR Slant 39, FCR-MX 39, FCR-MX 40, FCR-MX 41, 8 different camshafts, 2 aftermarket CDI's and a few other odds and ends, I'll offer this small piece of advice. DO NOT bother with any other aftermarket performance parts until you replace the stock carburetor. Either ante up and get brand new FCR or the 40mm CV carb from the KLR650. A larger carburetor is the foundation that you need to build from.
  • Like 1

I bought my SM new 12 years ago and 100% understand what you 2 are going through. As someone that has purchased 3 different exhaust systems, re-jetted the stock carburetor and has bought the Edelbrock Quick Silver, FCR Slant 39, FCR-MX 39, FCR-MX 40, FCR-MX 41, 8 different camshafts, 2 aftermarket CDI's and a few other odds and ends, I'll offer this small piece of advice. DO NOT bother with any other aftermarket performance parts until you replace the stock carburetor. Either ante up and get brand new FCR or the 40mm CV carb from the KLR650. A larger carburetor is the foundation that you need to build from.

• Like 2

I am definitely doing the fcr39 mx asap. Gotta get the wife on board with an 800 dollar kit right after buying the bike. Don’t wanna wake up with half my beard gone haha
  • Like 2

Finally adjusted the rear brake. Previously I had to lift my foot off the peg completely and press down on the rear brake as I couldn't keep the tip of my foot high enough to rest on the brake lever and the rear peg at the same time without pressing down on the brake lever and riding the rear brake all the time.

All it took was adjusting a threaded bolt with two nuts. That dropped the level of the brake level down so that I could keep my foot on the peg and relax my ankle enough where its not engaging the rear brake.

• Like 1

I can somewhat agree with this. But it was nice in my experience to add the exhaust then cams first, to feel a little boost. Then I fed it with an FCR39 slant. And that's what really WOWED me ! It's been a few years now, still smiling..  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diverdown said:
1 hour ago, FullTilt151 said:
I don't think I'm having the same issues you were. I guess my expectations were too high. It def smoothed the bike out. It'd pop like crazy on decel and that yoshi slip on is loud AF. I thinking about putting the stocker back on just so everyone in my neighborhood will stop thinking I'm an &%$#@!. It would surge/stumble a little bit on mid power but once it was super warm it'd stop.
Think I have the stock gearing so I may drop a tooth like they mention in the other thread. I don't mind sacrificing a little top end for more grunt. Riding on the highway sucks anyways.

Read more  

Put your needle on 4th groove from top.

Are you saying this will help with performance? I'm basically at sea level.

• Like 1