What did you do to your DRZ400 today?

Crunch406

If your not used to the traction studs give it's spooky riding on glare ice on a bike , then you grab a handfull of throttle and the front pops up and it gets fun.  The T63's are pretty decent on their own on packed snow and ice , but a little too soft of a rubber compound for studs so they may rip out the screws (I have Grip Studs in my set for the street) . The Dunlop 606's are a really good studding tire for screws since they are a harder rubber and suck on their own in the cold.

DSCN0796_zps1fojkfla.jpg

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 4

Here's a shot of my tires .

I watched a you tube video on the installation of ice screws .

The direction of the screwdriver slots is important for traction, braking , and cornering ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453554909.155383.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453554928.236570.jpg

They seem to be working well . I have Motoz Tractionator tires in an IT compound .

Tubliss kits fr/rr .

First test run out I ran about 11 psi in each

• Like 2

I run them on the street on days when it's snowing or when the roads are covered in packed snow and ice (thus why I watch which tires to use so I don't loose any). I turn them a little bit to keep the sharp edges random and wear evenly. I'm liking the Grip Studs because they can take bare asphalt without wearing out , unlike the screw which grind down in a mile of bare roads.

Give them some time and a couple of high power uses and abuse , then look them over for lost screws and ripping tread blocks , I think the T63's may do that, but not positive.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

I run them on the street on days when it's snowing or when the roads are covered in packed snow and ice (thus why I watch which tires to use so I don't loose any). I turn them a little bit to keep the sharp edges random and wear evenly. I'm liking the Grip Studs because they can take bare asphalt without wearing out , unlike the screw which grind down in a mile of bare roads.

Give them some time and a couple of high power uses and abuse , then look them over for lost screws and ripping tread blocks , I think the T63's may do that, but not positive.

I tore up the lake today . I had all 116 acres of it to myself . I topped out at 93 mph today . Not redlining it . 15/47 gearing .

• Like 1

Went to pull back it out of the garage and the steering was locked straight. easily broken but definitely time to replace the stem bearings. No, i didn't wash it after last weekends ride, and i have a weird sense of accomplishment for being the first bike ive ever had to bother with the bearings. Im assembling my SM front end and part of me wants to just wait, but this could be dangerous.

• Like 1

DRZ 400-S 2008

Finally losened sprocket bolts with propane torch and power steering fluid mixed with acetone. Installed dirt trick 47t. Installed DID chain. Ditched chain guard. Ditched helmet lock. Installed DRC smoke rear tail light with 12 o'clock labs program board on TT license plate holder. Ditched rear turn signals. Installed 3x3 mod. on stock exhaust 155mj. 22.5 pilot, blue needle 3rd clip, 2.25 turns of extended fuel screw. Fixed sluggish throttle return. Beer. Test run = outstanding. Beer.

• Like 2

DRZ 400-S 2008

Finally losened sprocket bolts with propane torch and power steering fluid mixed with acetone. Installed dirt trick 47t. Installed DID chain. Ditched chain guard. Ditched helmet lock. Installed DRC smoke rear tail light with 12 o'clock labs program board on TT license plate holder. Ditched rear turn signals. Installed 3x3 mod. on stock exhaust 155mj. 22.5 pilot, blue needle 3rd clip, 2.25 turns of extended fuel screw. Fixed sluggish throttle return. Beer. Test run = outstanding. Beer.

Love that Ironman sprocket.......got one myself not too long ago and I smile every time I look at it.

Your mods are sounding good......couple more and you'll be golden.  ?

• Like 2

I took the plunge!

My Christmas brought a Keihin FCR 39mm pumper carburetor and a MRD Z-Pro muffler and header! I got the carb a few weeks ago and me and the old man installed it.  What a difference it makes!

This past Monday, I got the Z-Pro in, and again, me and the old man installed it this morning. Awe! Some! 

(On a side note, when I say me and my old man installed this or that, I really mean he did most of the work, while I assisted - and tried not to look too much like a "mouth breather."  Fortunately, the old man knows his stuff; he'll forget more about motorcycles than I'll ever know.)

Night and day difference!

Probably the best waste of my money in a long time.

The old man, me, and another buddy have a two-day ride planned next month down in Big Bend, TX.  Can't wait to see how it does in the dirt!

Finally, last Sunday, me and and the old man went for a 75-mile ride.  We're trucking down a dirt road and approaching a curve.  I must have had a brain fart, because rather than down-shift or slide, I tried to hit the turn wide.  Long story short, I hit some soft dirt on the "shoulder" and put the bike down; twisted the forks just a wee bit.  So, once the muffler  was on and the neighborhood sufficiently annoyed, me and the old man straightened the forks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to help the old man install a new fuel sensor on his 1190.  

• Like 3

Bike fell over in the driveway and the shift lever finally met its neighbor. After realizing the wet substance on my drive way was oil, I realized it happend. Went over to the tt store and picked up some oil, filters, and new cases for both sides. Also a new shift fork and mirrors....

What are some simple mods I can do to make my stock as a rock DRZ look cosmetically better? (Not looking for a motard set up)

Thank you

I did the Polisport headlight and Polisport universal front fender. Headlight is plug and play and fender bolted right up........no mods required for either. Improves the looks and drops some weight. Cost me about $100.00 for both. Attached before and after photos..

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2222.JPG

• Like 3

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to What did you do to your DRZ400 today?