sliding out around corners

im hvaing alot of trouble hooking up coming out of corners. i go into the corner, shift down, weight out, leg out, up on the tank, and if i get on the gas and im not 100% straight, my back end is wayyy out. i cant control it. even if im in a way high gear like 3rd or 4th, i still slide out.. even when im low in the gear. does anybody have any recomendations? ive tried leaning back once out of the corner but its too much shifting too quickly.. in fast corners ill never be able to do it that way to hook up. so if you guys have any suggestions, speak up

BTW im on a brand new tire ?

im hvaing alot of trouble hooking up coming out of corners. i go into the corner, shift down, weight out, leg out, up on the tank, and if i get on the gas and im not 100% straight, my back end is wayyy out. i cant control it. even if im in a way high gear like 3rd or 4th, i still slide out.. even when im low in the gear. does anybody have any recomendations? ive tried leaning back once out of the corner but its too much shifting too quickly.. in fast corners ill never be able to do it that way to hook up. so if you guys have any suggestions, speak up

throttle control my friend..master it, then you will rail like no other.

either that or your suspension needs tuning.

This is my problem...I'm an animal with the throttle. I started riding in sand (dez of Cali), and that required much less throttle control than in other conditions.

My other problem is that I just get out and enjoy on the bike, and catching a berm where you can just blast on the throttle is just so much fun. Also, when I'm riding tracks, I concentrate less on learning than I do on having fun.

I really need to slow down to go faster.

more momentum through the corner,then ROLL the throttle on don't wack it open or bang the clutch. Practice on a flat area that's slick with someone that's a little faster then yourself.

last time i was in 4th.. a gear or two high for that corner, and i got a nice tumble through the mud. i thought i was golden, so as i exited the corner i started rolling on the throttle and it came right out from under me ?

Weight the outside peg more and make ur butt light on the seat, also tire pressure, make sure when u poke ur tire u can press down a bit, just make sure it doesn't feel too solid or too soft an it should be right, or just check with a guage, also what have u done to your bike? is the gearing standard? How heavy are you? is your suspension setup properly?

Weight the outside peg more and make ur butt light on the seat, also tire pressure, make sure when u poke ur tire u can press down a bit, just make sure it doesn't feel too solid or too soft an it should be right, or just check with a guage, also what have u done to your bike? is the gearing standard? How heavy are you? is your suspension setup properly?

my tire pressure is as it should be.. i dont have a low pressure guage, only 20+ but it feels good. my bike is geared stock, 13-49, im 140 and sadly my suspension is not done for me at all.. my forks are sprung/valved for 200lb and my shock is stock off of an 02. its oversprung big time, i know.. but i thought as long as im weighting the outside and not going throttle happy id be good but i guess not

The stiff rear spring will keeep the back end from settling and it will want to slide out much more than it normally would- have you tried lightening the preload as much as possible? And spend the $3 to get a pressure gage! Without one you really don't know if it's "as it should be" or not- there's a huge traction difference between 11 psi and 15 psi.

The stiff rear spring will keeep the back end from settling and it will want to slide out much more than it normally would- have you tried lightening the preload as much as possible? And spend the $3 to get a pressure gage! Without one you really don't know if it's "as it should be" or not- there's a huge traction difference between 11 psi and 15 psi.

i know but its one of those things that im in the hardware store a few times a month and i remember it as i get home. ill be sure to remember it now for next time. well, i set my sag to about 100mm then loosened it up a few turns from there. i think it measured out to about 150mm. im (hopefully) getting new springs for christmas, other then that im too broke to afford it. between premix, gas, chains/sprockets, tranny oil, and everything else, i guess you could say i ride pay check to pay check.. i got no money to spare

I'd also try experimenting with your positioning on the bike. Since the rear is breaking loose on you, try staying back a bit further on the seat than you normally would. If weighting the outside footpeg doesn't work for you I find it easier to adjust my "angle" on the bike to get the results. For example, if you've got the bike leaned over at a 45 degree angle, make your torso upright and perpendicular to the ground- that forces you to sit on the outside part of the seat and helps weight the tires. Good luck!

I'd also try experimenting with your positioning on the bike. Since the rear is breaking loose on you, try staying back a bit further on the seat than you normally would. If weighting the outside footpeg doesn't work for you I find it easier to adjust my "angle" on the bike to get the results. For example, if you've got the bike leaned over at a 45 degree angle, make your torso upright and perpendicular to the ground- that forces you to sit on the outside part of the seat and helps weight the tires. Good luck!

thanks

Good advise by others, but it's real tough to say without seeing you ride.

I would add that you would want to make sure you are crouching your back,

and try crouching a little bit more to put some more weight down low on your back end.

Try giving that a shot if you haven't already, along with what others have said (primarily weighting the outside peg).

Let us know...

thanks all for the help. looks like i have to weight the rear/outside. and for the last poster, i come in to the corner at various speeds but always have to brake to a certain level as to not blow by the berm.. i really cant' play with corner speed too much

I would second the tire pressure check. In addition, if you are on the 250 2 stroke, use the clutch to help smooth out the throttle roll on. If you get the sag and everything set up you can also try adding some rebound damping to the rear shock. It will help keep the rear end from unloading as you exit the apex of the turn, especially with your weight. The key is going to be getting the suspension to settle upon entry/ under the braking and stay that way through the turn.

I would second the tire pressure check. In addition, if you are on the 250 2 stroke, use the clutch to help smooth out the throttle roll on. If you get the sag and everything set up you can also try adding some rebound damping to the rear shock. It will help keep the rear end from unloading as you exit the apex of the turn, especially with your weight. The key is going to be getting the suspension to settle upon entry/ under the braking and stay that way through the turn.

ill be getting the guage soon, and the compression and rebound are both all the way out (softest)

No, I am saying to add rebound. Your spring is too stiff for your weight so when you get set for a corner, sliding up on the tank and getting on the brakes, the suspension compresses. As you transition from being on the brakes to off the brakes, the heavy spring is going to cause the suspension to "unload" thus becoming light when you are trying to accelerate. With the rebound all the way out, it isn't going to slow down the shock when the spring starts to unload. Adding rebound will help keep the shock compressed and the suspension settled.