Squirells

DR200se modifications

13 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd drop a line about some mods I've done to my '04 DR200se, considering there is virtually no information about it.

-I used to have this really cool panier system made ot of army surplus ammunition boxes and plumbing hardware, but then happytrails came out ith a rack for the 200s and I picked one up. Really cool and extremely rigid. I'm going to mount ammo boxes on them again, since the paniers they sell are essentially he same thing, just $250 compard to $20 or less u can find the ammo boxes for.

-I also got Jessie over at KienTech to work his magic with the muffler and send his jet kit. YOU NEED THIS... I loved my bike before but this makes a huge difference. Alot more power and the sound is priceless (sounds like a motorcycle now instead of my vespa, but not to a level thats offensive to a reasonable person).

-I've been attempting to mount a 15 tooth front sprocket to it (for highway use) but, as of yet I haven't bought the right length of chain (needs more inks than the stock size)

Alot of people seem to be turned off at 200cc street legal bikes but these, ESPECIALLY with the mufler and jet mods, are damn awesome (and inexpensie compared to others). Mine is getting around 75mpg highway and has been from Asheville to the the coast (9.5hr each way), not to mention galavanting all around montana and Wyoming for a summer. There versitle, light-weight (very big consideration when u drop it by yourself on huge grade, which has and will happen if u ride alot), and Efficient. Onlly quarrel I have is the height, its pretty short--another 6 inches would be better.

Anybody else done any modifications to their DR200?

Cheers

I bought this bike brand new in '87 when I was in the military. There never were any after market items for it back them either. I used to ride all over the Washington state area. I get 75 mpg plus I can pick it up when I drop it. I also have a 2001 DRZ400. So much better for the street BUT the 200 is a great trail bike. Believe it or not I used to race enduro races/poker runs with it. Great for tight trails but it never had quite enough power for tough hills. I think I will have the Keintech mods done and see what happens...I was wondering if anybody owned one other than me!

Bob in Texas

I may just break down this winter and do some modifications to my 200. I've always liked the economy and quietness of the 200, but I may take it on a longer road trip next summer.

I've got over 11,000 miles on it now.

I've done the airbox/exaust/jet mod from Jessee. It sounds better, but I dont know how much more power it has give it. We put the cycleracks.com rack on my wifes. Was going to go to a lower front sprocket, but we need to be able to do around 50 on the highway. So using stock for now.

heres few pics of hers.

2007_06_02_DSRide13.jpg

2007_06_02_DSRide14.jpg

2007_06_02_DSRide16.jpg

2007_07_16_DSride05.jpg

2007_07_16_DSride12.jpg

2007_07_16_DSride18.jpg

2007_07_16_DSride30.jpg

2007_02_24_DSride13.jpg

Vist Tennessee's (and Surrounding Areas)

Online offroad/dualsport community at ...

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com

I just picked up a nice 97' SP200H- I have a couple questions... ive already did the airbox mod , but i cant find any performance parts for it... Anyone know where i can find a JETKIT and a PIPE ??

Thanks

oh BTW I have had a 2006 DRZ400s and I actually like the SP200 better..:worthy:

I just bought a '97 DR200SE with 10700 miles on it. I almost looks new and runs like it too. I'm looking forward to learning more about this little bike. I plan to take it down to Big Bend this fall. I've had two XT225's and a F650GS. I am really impressed with the Suzuki.

I just bought an 01 DR200SE with 71 miles on it for my 16 year old.I may have to break it in though. Initial impression is he has the better seat.He can't wait to take the MSF course and go riding with me on my DR400S.Now to start reading all the upgrade suggestions.

I have a DR200SE that I cant get started. I have noticed that gas accumulates under the air filter. Checked petcock and determined that it is bad. The bike will turn over but wont start no matter how much throttle you give it. I am really wanting to get this bike fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

I have a DR200SE that I cant get started. I have noticed that gas accumulates under the air filter. Checked petcock and determined that it is bad. The bike will turn over but wont start no matter how much throttle you give it. I am really wanting to get this bike fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

If your petcock is leaking and letting fuel under the air filter you can bet that it is also getting into he crank case so you might want to check what the oil looks and smells like before you try to start it. When we first got my wifes it leaked bad enough that the first oil change netted 3 quarts, 2/3 gas, 1/3 oil! After disassembling the petcock and cleaning it real good it works just fine now and the inside of the crank case is real clean! I still don't know how to dispose of the oil/gas mixture from the first oil change.

If your petcock is leaking and letting fuel under the air filter you can bet that it is also getting into he crank case so you might want to check what the oil looks and smells like before you try to start it. When we first got my wifes it leaked bad enough that the first oil change netted 3 quarts, 2/3 gas, 1/3 oil! After disassembling the petcock and cleaning it real good it works just fine now and the inside of the crank case is real clean! I still don't know how to dispose of the oil/gas mixture from the first oil change.

Thanks will try

On 11/23/2007 at 10:14 PM, Squirells said:

Just thought I'd drop a line about some mods I've done to my '04 DR200se, considering there is virtually no information about it.

-I used to have this really cool panier system made ot of army surplus ammunition boxes and plumbing hardware, but then happytrails came out ith a rack for the 200s and I picked one up. Really cool and extremely rigid. I'm going to mount ammo boxes on them again, since the paniers they sell are essentially he same thing, just $250 compard to $20 or less u can find the ammo boxes for.

-I also got Jessie over at KienTech to work his magic with the muffler and send his jet kit. YOU NEED THIS... I loved my bike before but this makes a huge difference. Alot more power and the sound is priceless (sounds like a motorcycle now instead of my vespa, but not to a level thats offensive to a reasonable person).

-I've been attempting to mount a 15 tooth front sprocket to it (for highway use) but, as of yet I haven't bought the right length of chain (needs more inks than the stock size)

Alot of people seem to be turned off at 200cc street legal bikes but these, ESPECIALLY with the mufler and jet mods, are damn awesome (and inexpensie compared to others). Mine is getting around 75mpg highway and has been from Asheville to the the coast (9.5hr each way), not to mention galavanting all around montana and Wyoming for a summer. There versitle, light-weight (very big consideration when u drop it by yourself on huge grade, which has and will happen if u ride alot), and Efficient. Onlly quarrel I have is the height, its pretty short--another 6 inches would be better.

Anybody else done any modifications to their DR200?

Cheers

I have a 2015 dr 200s and it came stock with a 15 tooth front, will it not fit well on the se? All I thought they changed around were the plastics. I'm going down to a 13 bc I couldn't find a 47 for the rear. It's primarily a trail bike and I figured that was the best way to wake it up. I can barely get the wheel off the ground in first which makes is pretty difficult to hop logs and keep stability over choppy stuff like roots. The passenger foot pegs are too high and my girlfriend says it gets pretty uncomfortable in the woods. 

If you are looking for more pop the front wheel up power jetting and exhaust make this a whole new bike. I was running a 15/39(yes i went 6 teeth smaller on rear bc i was mostly highway driving) and after the jetting and exhaust I could clutch up the front in 2nd gear with without any trouble.

I started a thread recently on suspension upgrades as this little bike has not let me down even when doing some ridiculous hill climbs. It just needs better suspension so its not bouncing all over the trails