Raising Links - KLX300

I'm finally installing my raising links (KLX250s) that I bought months ago to account for the longer KX250 forks. When I rotate the swingarm into position to line up the swingarm lug with the rear link bolt....the lug and the aft bit of the shock arm juuuust kiss one another. Has anybody had to shave the aft bit of the shock arm to make the shorter links fit? Anybody see a problem with shaving a mm or so off of that aft bit for clearance? I also need some thicker spacers cause the aftermarket links are thinner than the stockers.

Dean

As an update - the KLX250S raising links do work on the KLX300. It was an easy matter to shave 2mm from the rear of the shock arm and then it all bolted up nicely. The 115mm links (2mm shorter than stock) raised the rear end by a whopping 7/8" as measured vertically through the rear axle to the bottom of the rear fender. A bit more than I expected. Definitely harder to flatfoot and just about back to level with the addition of the longer KX forks. I haven't ridden it to see how the link change will alter handling. Anybody hazard a guess?

Dean

You may get better stability with the setup. Depending on where you set the forks in the tripples, the front (with stock KX length) will be higher than the rear. I'm sure that it will be much better than stock, if you have changed the valving in the shock.

Ride on

Brewster

I set the KX250 shocks as high as they would go in the clamps and still maintain full pressure on the upper tube. That is, if I went any higher the bottom of the bottom clamp would drop down below the point at which the top tube begins to narrow. That's about 3/4" showing above the top clamp. To my recolection - the KX forks are about 1-1/2" longer - so about 3/4" taller than stock in this setting. Now with the rear 7/8" higher - it's pretty close. The look is very agressive - quite noticeable.

I have NOT changed valving or springs in the KX250 forks or shock. I really need to cause I'm right at 200# and the stock springs really don't cut it. Bucks like a rodeo bronc.

Anybody have a cheap set of stiffer springs laying around for KX forks?

Dean

• 2 months later...
I set the KX250 shocks as high as they would go in the clamps and still maintain full pressure on the upper tube. That is, if I went any higher the bottom of the bottom clamp would drop down below the point at which the top tube begins to narrow. That's about 3/4" showing above the top clamp. To my recolection - the KX forks are about 1-1/2" longer - so about 3/4" taller than stock in this setting. Now with the rear 7/8" higher - it's pretty close. The look is very agressive - quite noticeable.

I have NOT changed valving or springs in the KX250 forks or shock. I really need to cause I'm right at 200# and the stock springs really don't cut it. Bucks like a rodeo bronc.

Anybody have a cheap set of stiffer springs laying around for KX forks?

Dean

Hi Dean

how bout pics and a ride report - where did you get the links, and were your original forks all the way in the forks

cheers hatto

• 1 year later...

I have KX 500 forks that are 1 1/4 inch longer than stock and are raised 1/2 inch in the clamps and the front sits 3/4 taller. Jerry @ FSW did his max travel mod that makes the shock travel longer and tops out 3/4 inch taller to match the front. This increases the rear travel by 3/4 inch. The bike looks and handles great. Now I need to lengthen the kickstand.

I have KX 500 forks that are 1 1/4 inch longer than stock and are raised 1/2 inch in the clamps and the front sits 3/4 taller. Jerry @ FSW did his max travel mod that makes the shock travel longer and tops out 3/4 inch taller to match the front. This increases the rear travel by 3/4 inch. The bike looks and handles great. Now I need to lengthen the kickstand.

Is this a different mod than changing the UNI-TRAK links?

atorrini, yes

Jerry takes the shock apart and machines the shock shaft so it extends more and the length of the shock is about .200 inch longer and with the linkage ratio the fully extended suspension is 3/4 inch higher. Jerry also revalved the shock and put a new 6.0 spring on for $300.00 total. It was a great deal but it did take him 4 weeks to get it back to me.