Sign in to follow this  

From a liter bike to a "SM", convince me to do it!

gsxr 1000 to drz400sm. Best thing I ever did. riding is more fun than ever. cant wait for a trackday on the sm. More fun to ride the snot out of the 400 than have the gsxr laugh at you and say "that's all you got?":eek:

I have to agree with J-S and EricZ.... I used to have a big bore gixxer which I loved and my last bike a R6 that I sold after my second son was born. I just bought a 2007 DRZ 400SM threw a pipe & jet kit and can't get the smile off my face! Super low maintenance 85mpg and definitley not slow in the twisties & you can still do track days, Save youself the headache with the maintenance of a Husky, KTM, Aprillia etc. I ride mine down logging roads and do jumps. learn to back it in and make the sportbike guys jealous. you and your family won't regret it.

I have to agree with J-S and EricZ.... I used to have a big bore gixxer which I loved and my last bike a R6 that I sold after my second son was born. I just bought a 2007 DRZ 400SM threw a pipe & jet kit and can't get the smile off my face! Super low maintenance 85mpg and definitley not slow in the twisties & you can still do track days, Save youself the headache with the maintenance of a Husky, KTM, Aprillia etc. I ride mine down logging roads and do jumps. learn to back it in and make the sportbike guys jealous. you and your family won't regret it.

85 MPG? you mean 85 MP tank right? Which still seams decent after jetting changes, i maniged to drop my gas milage from 46-48 down to 36-38 on my XR650R after uncorking.

hi there ,ive read this like a story waiting for the result.

I to am deciding weather to buy a 690 smc,ive had sports bikes last one was suzi 1000.i sold this and started moto cross and enduro ,but i still want to trick out a supermoto they look so cool .

ive played with buying 450 exc and 530 and converting it but the 690 stomp pulls me more.. keep posting lol .

......my head hurts with all the thinking what to do ooooo come on lotto numbers .........buy the lot ,atoms blades supermotos ....

I bought a DRZ SM last year and don't regret it. The thing is so much fun. I still have a R1 for the speed "fix" but have been thinking of selling it since I ride the DRZ most of the time.

Tee-dub, I suppose I'll be seeing you up on the mountain. I ride up to St Helens as often as I can. Now you can go explore some of the dirt Forest Service roads too!

hi there ,ive read this like a story waiting for the result.

I to am deciding weather to buy a 690 smc,ive had sports bikes last one was suzi 1000.i sold this and started moto cross and enduro ,but i still want to trick out a supermoto they look so cool .

ive played with buying 450 exc and 530 and converting it but the 690 stomp pulls me more.. keep posting lol .

......my head hurts with all the thinking what to do ooooo come on lotto numbers .........buy the lot ,atoms blades supermotos ....

Here is the thing; a converted 450 or 530 will be razor sharp. But they are not designed for the extended high speed runs of street riding. They require extensive maintenance and rebuilds to keep them running for extended miles.

The 690 is built for the street. It will be more than potent enough for most coming from sportbikes. Just don't expect it to cruise at 120 on the highway. IMO the 690 in the right environment will be almost a handful (tight gnarly twisty environment). I doubt it will by quite as looney as an SXV 550, but those who I know that have ridden the SXV 550 have said it is actually too much, absolute lunacy.

having the joy of having both a "slightly modified" DRZ-SM and insane turbo'd liter plus bikes, I say it really depends on the person

Sure the DRZ feels like its in reverse compared to my 250hp street bikes, and sure there are faster SM's out there, but once you get your expectations adjusted for the DRZ....well, I'll put it this way. My DRZ gets ridden a lot more than my other bikes lately, and I forsee it continuing that trend.

Not saying that a different SM wouldn't make you happier, just saying the HP step between liter bikes and DRZ's or what-have-you isn't as big of a deal. A lot of that depends on the attitude and personality of course.

I really don't notice much of a difference in power between my 1200 bandit and my KTM 525 - Its all about the power to weight ratio. Hell the KTM seems faster because it lofts the wheel in ANY gear just twising the throttle.

I live in the San Bernardino mountains, and I just can't imagine anything more suited to the local roads here, then a Motard. I used to hate driving down the mountain. Since aquiring my Hussy, I look for an excuse. As far as freeway driving goes, this thumper has enough snap to keep me clear of 4 wheeled iron all the way to San Clemente. A 16 tooth counter gear let do about 75mph@5500rpm

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2175057040042223612EwJzOu

Propshaft

The great thing about a motard is that it is almost exactly like a dirtbike: It is there for the ride, not the power or speed. Some people get their jollies off while doing 120 MPH power wheelies on highways, others get off on seeing how far over they can lean before they start getting the rear swirley. Some people mix both and try to mix highest speeds with furthest lean angles. The SM's generally do best in the last 2 situations; Lack of wind protection and therefore weather protection make them not so much fun above 70 MPH. If you want both speed, and the SM look, you'll want a bigger bore bike.

The KTM 690 is getting excellent reviews. Almost every aspect of the bike is being praised as the perfect street compromise. It could be my step up to a factory made SM after I get out of college. It'll be like going from an early 90's Metro to a 2007 Corvette when that time comes haha, but patience is my enemy. Enjoy the 690 Dub, I've not even a doubt you will love the bike. I saw a super clean 625 KTM with polished headers and akrapovix exhaust, and the sound and look of the bike made me so jealous. The 690 SMC will be worlds better. You'll enjoy riding it, far past 130 miles (assuming KTM got a good seat on it, if not, Corbin is probably already making a replacement as we speak...err type.) and it will do wonders for your back. The only stress is holding your body upright will being a wind sail for your bike at 70 MPH plus haha.

I, and everyone here, demand pics when you get it :excuseme:

(As reference, I ride an 83 XT550. I ride highways often, but try to keep it to back roads for fun. I've got only 35 WHP even after exhaust mods and an aftermarket CDI with Jetting. I switched from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 16 tooth; the rear is a 42. I basically only use up to 4th for acceleration; 5th gear has become the gas saver. I average 50 MPG on cruising days, and lowest I've calculated was about 43 MPG on engine abuse days. Top speed is an estimated 95 MPH, but my speedo ends at 80 MPH :confused: The bike weighs more than almost every SM, with a wet weight of 320 lbs. and I still love riding it!)

Turning my CRF450R into a part time motard was the best thing I ever did.

Ride with my daughter in the dirt most weekends and slap on the 17"s and hit a track day when the itch arises.

My Ducati SS sat in the garage for 7 months while I had the same internal debate. It sold last weekend and I couldn't be more relieved.

I too have lost my taste for the street.

Do it!!!

ive read al sorts and yet dont see posts from owners.however i did get a go on a 640 lc4 wich is down on power to smc, also will be lighter .

the bike went well and it fel like i could have fun

ive read al sorts and yet dont see posts from owners.

That is because no one owns one yet.They haven't been delivered. :confused:

ha ha, bringing back an old thread.. I've got to say, I dropped from a R1 to a XR650r just resently. Did it for all the reasons here. I was sick of going fast, riding to hard and then getting home with that sick feeling in your gut wondering how you got away with it and what if! The only way to really have fun and get a rush on a litre bike is to go fast. With my new to me super moto just riding around town is fun again. There is no other way to have this much fun under 50mph. I do miss highway wheelies though, havn't figured that out on the XR yet.

i came across this post and thought i would drop my two inexperienced cents. I live in SW pennsylvania and i have owned an R1 for 3 years. I sold it the other day and not two hours later, bought a drz400SM. I have had it out two long hard days and i can't believe how much more fun this bike is. My ass hurts because of the seat and my face hurts because of the smile. The R1 was essentially useless around here. There are plenty of twisty hilly roads but all are dangerously covered in gravel, potholes, frost heave, no shoulder, dead deer and single lane hazards. Plus, no matter who i passed, it seems as though i was always stuck behind another car. All that power gets you nothing but frustration here. Now the SM is 180degrees. I actually welcome all those hazards. Not that i can really even ride the thing to it's fullest potential yet. I can tear down any road in the area, paved, semi-paved, gravel, dirt, railroad bed, and i really have no problems with going on a trail, slowly of course. But the fact for me, is that i finally feel as though i can get some serious riding time in. Riding season typically being at best, March--October, and truly only being about 30% of that time. Now i feel as though i can up that to about 80-90%. Not to mention, insurance, maintenance, price of upgrades, is all way cheap. The R1 was nice to sit on at the local sheetz, to try and pick up girls, not that i really ever did that, but as far as utility is concerned, it was useless for me. I can't believe i wasted 3 whole years with that thing. Like a big-fat-high maintenance girlfriend! Good riddance. I'm better off without you.

I've been lurking here off and on since 06 but have just started posting. I've owned a number of bikes over the years, mostly 1000cc bikes and all twins with the exception of a 2004 Honda CBR1000rr. This list includes four Aprilias and a Ducati.

The motards have really caught my attention the last couple of years, but I have hesitated to make the jump.

Labor day 2007 my little brother was hit by a car while on his SV650 while he and I were riding together. He was in critical condition and now, almost three months later, is just starting to walk again. Due to this and the fact that I have a two year old at home, I freaked and sold my 2007 Aprilia Tuono.

Well, its only been a couple of months and the bug is getting to me. I know I have to buy another bike. I feel now is the time to get a Motard. It will be capable of hooligan behaviour, like the Tuono, but lighter, more maneuverable, and without the capability of insane speeds. Maybe not necessarily safe, but safer, if you know what I mean.

I've started looking at ZX10's and GSXR1000's, but stopped myself short, thinking, "what the hell do I need that for". So, I'm back to the motards. The Husqvarna sm510 and the 08 KTM 690 SMC in particular. Also, would either of these bikes be capable of doing light off roading? Gravel roads in particular, no mud or dirt.

For those that have made the jump from a supersport liter bike to a motard for daily duty, what are your impressions? Are you still happy you did it? Thanks for any tips, I have a feeling I know what you'll say, but I need reassurance before I make the leap!

Brother I went from a 1999 Honda CBR900rr(with alot of performance parts) to my DRZ400sm and I LOVE IT!!! I grew up racing bmx, MX, harescrambles and I can't believe how comfortable I am on the Supermoto bike! It's like they invented it just for me! I don't regret it, I doubt you will either! I can't believe how well this bike handles, carves, corners etc. It's NOT fast compaired to a liter bike but it's fun as hell!:D:)

Go for it. I have road gsxr 750's since 88 and i love my supermoto bike. I bought the 250x mostly for my girlfriend at the time to learn on. She is gone so i have been riding the hit out of it.We have awesome raods in northern wyoming and its been a blast. I just wish yamaha would have come out with a bigger bike 450-525cc.We dont have dealers for any of theeuropean bikes anywere close or i would be heading that direction. Buy one and have fun.

I went SV1000S to XR400.

For me, it wasn't a question of will the XR have enough power, it was will it be slow enough?! I was a hooligan on the SV because, being mainly a commuter, I was bored. And it was too easy to wheelie.

The XR in comparison is so slow that you have no expectations of speed. You're happy to sit around the speed limit and enjoy it, rather than looking down to find you're at twice the limit and it feels slow!