Stripped sprocketshaft

So I bought new chain and sprockets and tyres for my 1997 xr600r last week.Got back all stoked and started to take off old chain and sprockets...only to discover my front sprocket shafts teeth 90% worn away.I bought the bike 2 yrs ago 2nd hand.I only use it for commuting and as this is the first time I have replaced the drivetrain I only picked it up now.

Does anyone have advice as to where the best place to get a new shaft would be and also what gaskets and seals I should get before starting this nightmare job?

Thanks in advance.?

There is a guy on ebay selling countershafts. Do not buy one. Get a Honda one. The best price that I know of is from Service Honda. You also need a complete gasket set as you have to totally dissemble the engine. I have used aftermarket gasket kits and so far they have worked for me.

Take a real close look at everything when you have it apart. If any gears look bad replace them. The shaft is about $80 and each gear set runs about $100, but some gears are more expensive than others.

Thanks for all the info.Its much appreciated.

I am going to do the replacing myself.Just cant afford the labour costs od a mechanic.Money is always tight here in South Africa. If there are any points to look out for could you please warn me before I dismantle my darling.

Cheers.