Emissions...

Got the bike fixed.

I rebuilt the carbs today and got the bike running. It ran like shiznits. Worse that it was before.

While I was rebuilding them I noticed that the throttle slides could go in two ways. As in you could turn them around. I consulted the manual and found a diagram that indicated the way they went in although it did not actually specify any instruction on this. I found the primary carb to be like the book. The secondary carb was reverse of what was in the diagram so I flipped it around. The secondary float was low so I raised it a tad to spec.

Assembled it and that's when it ran like shiznits and had the stink of fuel.

I cam home and bitched to ken about it and started searching for any information I could find on the net about it. I came to the conlcusion that they were both now in backwards. I ran back over to my dad's and flipped them.

She purrs like a goold old school XR should and has no smell of being rich. It should pass emissions now and I'm super happy.

Hi John. The fuel screw is to the left of the bowl, up underneath the carb if you haven't put an extended fuel screw on.

Here's what the extended fuel screw looks like (red thing):

hpim0902ko7.jpg

Here's a pic of the original fuel screw (blue arrow):

fuelscrew.jpg

Without an extended fuel screw, you'll have to find a very, very short flathead screwdriver and try to get it in there past the starter motor housing.

If you have any other DRZ questions, post them in the DRZ forum. It's very active and has lots of helpful people.