What clutch noise?

I have seen posts by Tim f. Balls, and intothumpin that stated that the YZ 450f clutch is making noises, and Yamaha dealers are fixing the problem under warranty. I am a Yamaha service manager, and it's true that I will fix any defects on the machine within the 30 day warranty period. There are no service bullitens on the 450 to date, and I asked tech line what's up with the clutch noise. They did not know what I was talking about. So, (Tim, intothumpin, anyone else) how are your people fixing your clutch noise? Can you give me more info on why the noise occurs, and what specifically is being done to make the noise go away? We have only sold one 450 so far, and I asked him if he was having any problems with it. He said no, and he looked like this :D . It may be possible that there is a small vin range of affected bikes, and Californy was the first state to get 450's (they arrive from Japan on that coast). Anyway, please post more info about what fixes the clutch noise. I would like to be able to help my customers if they experience the same problems. ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clutch noise is very distinct, mine does it when you are pulling out in 1st gear, the bike begins to move and then it hits and takes off. There is a very odd noise thats coms from it when this happens. I had read on TT that someone said that there plates were very dry and that they took them apart and soaked them in oil, reassembled and the noise and hit went away, so I did just that and when I took the cover off there was next to no oil in the case. The plates were almost totally dry? also the steal plates had no wear on them at all. So is this normal or what? I am used to a 2 stroke were there is oil all through the cases. So after I soaked them and put it back together the noise went away and so did the hit, but shortly later it returned, there is defidently a problem and it needs attention so can someone please tell me what the answer is.

Thanks

From what I heard from my Yamaha mechanic, before the inital run of 450's was sent to America, Yamaha found problems with the clutch with symptoms just like those that some people are experiencing. I was told that Yamaha was going to correct the problem before the first run of bikes was released. It may or may not have been released as an official bulletin, because they tried to catch it before release. Obviously, some people are still experiencing the problems, so possibly a few early release bikes were sent to the U.S. (supply and demand) with the hopes the problem would not show it's UGLY FACE ? !!

Mine has been doing it too since day 1, VIN #179. Yes the oil level is correct, and I have since changed the oil 3 times trying different brands with no change. I talked to the service manager today at the shop where I bought the bike and he too is not aware of any service bulletins or problems. He also added that he has not opened any of his mail for the last 3 months with a grin. He also tried to convince me that Yamaha would take care of any known problem related to the specific VIN # even if the 30 days has passed. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think my vin is 0004144???

I havent gotten the origination cert yet and the only # that look like vin # is stamped just behind the kick starter.

Is that it??

Is it one of the # stampd on the steering head of the frame??

where?

Mine is doing EXACTLY the same annoying noise.

Just from being a MECH for most of my life..........I can tell you that it is NOT GOOD!! whatever it is!! ?

I have a european 450 with VIN 0001200 something. I was on my second ride today, and I my clutch was grabby, and somtimes made almost like a metallic noise. I'm going to take it back to my dealer om monday. Someone at Yamaha has got to know what the problem is. Oil level was fine. ?

Ok, This is startin to worry me a bit. :D

I just bought mine yesterday, can't ride it due to a shoulder injury. The dealership told me there was "NO" warranty on the bike?!?!? ?

The serial # is 002594

I really don't want to let my buddy get the 1st ride in on my new bike!!! THat's like telling him "here take my new girlfriend and ........" :D

What to do? Do you really have to ride it hard to show up.

My shoulder would allow me to ride it in the yard a bit not real hard though :D

You can tell them that the owner of Yamaha of S. Illinois has filed warranty claims on YZs before, and will continue to do so for his customers until Yamaha motor corp U.S. stops putting 30 day warranties on their YZs. I'll have to check and see if 450's have a different warrany policy than 426s. P.S. Service managers detest it when people tell them what they heard on the internet.

I think there are a couple of things known here

1: People have been reported problems with the clutch

2: It appears to be at first glance a first ship issue

Based on some of the reports being posted it appears Yamaha may have caught and corrected the issue after the first initial shipment or two.

Any manufacture will-only contact the dealerships were the effected products were shipped to in this case we have isolated dealerships fixing issues that some dealerships are not aware of.

So if Yamaha indeed caught a problem and resolve it there are a few things remaining to be seen

1: How-many bikes were effected

2: what is Yamaha Doing to correct it

3: Does your dealership know.

Here is what I would do:

1: Write a polite letter to the dealership management cc to the sale manager/service manager the local Yamaha Factory Rep and his Boss at Yamaha Corp. You can get the Corp names and Rep names and their emails direct from your dealership. Let them know you are first writing a letter of comendation about your dealership, this will open a door for about anything you want.

2: In the letter stat your concern and confusion and ask for clarification.

3: Highlight the VIN number on your bike and ask if your bike is effected in the "Rumored" big word clutch issue.

4: Then ask for "Politely" what Yamaha is doing to correct the issues with the known customers that have the defect.

If this is a first ship issue then I would assume a silent recall has been made, this means that unless someone asks (aka John Q Customer) or complains they will not fix or advise on the issue.

Any company wants Good Press not Bad.

YAMABEN I work for Vans Yamaha in sparta. We sponsor #184 Charlie Dagner. He just got his 450,and is yet to have a problem.(so hopefully it was fixed) I do believe yamaha will make the clutch good before 30 days. I will check into this .(makes me wonder)

well i did get the thing out on my 4 acres and work it best I could injured shoulder and all, didn't have gear on either so it wasn't really getting nailed.

I couldn't hear anything.....What's it sound like. I worked the clutch a lot under pressure and at idle and the only weird noise i heard is when in neautral and the cluth was out I could hear a little rumbly sound.

I don't care for the action of the clutch(this may because it's not broke in yet) Clutch seems to be semi engaged even when pulled all the way in. Causes stalling easily. There is no forgiveness when it does engage it's like a switch...

Thanks for all comments guys.