my new XR650R....

got this bad boy for pretty much dirt cheap from a really cool older guy who was thinning his fleet. need to get some dirt wheels and i'll be set. i thought about taking the e-start off and selling it but i'll wait on that, might grow on me:ride:

227514484-X2.jpg

227512822-XL.jpg

227514944-XL.jpg

Hallo

upload a picture of the mounting of the steering dampner. haw is the "pin" located on the frame, problems with the oilplug?

If you want to sell the E start, let me know!

Does the E- start work well, no problems?

Regards

/Lars

looks to me like the standard oilplug / dipstick mount?

Here's mine... (not the bike shown in this thread, as you can see by the dirt..? )

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Hallo

upload a picture of the mounting of the steering dampner. haw is the "pin" located on the frame, problems with the oilplug?

Regards

/Lars

my mount looks similar to the other poster's mount and yes the e-start works great. it adds about 13 lbs but it's down low and not really an hindrance. i thought i'd sell it but i'm going to give it more time, i'm not missing kick starts yet.

Hallo

Regards

/Lars

i guess you have to remove the arm that's in the oil tube to add oil? there is an adapter to mount it forward so the oil tube is free and i may get that instead.

227905203-XL.jpg

http://haggeo.smugmug.com/photos/227905327-XL.jpg

i guess you have to remove the arm that's in the oil tube to add oil? there is an adapter to mount it forward so the oil tube is free and i may get that instead.

227905203-XL.jpg

Yeah there are a few different mount options for the damper. Another is with the damper under the handlebars, and there is a forward mount as well.

I went with the dipstick mount because:

1) It was cheaper where I live ?

2) It's seems to be the most common on 650R's

3) Everything is visible and easy to access

4) It takes 2 minutes to remove the damper oil cap mount to fill with oil - very quick & easy

The only problem is that you need to carry your original plug with dipstick with you if you want to check your oil. The damper bolt that screws into the oil filler hole does not have a dipstick to check oil level.

Or (even better) you can fit the oil sight tube, so you can check oil level without removing the cap.

http://www.barnumspro.com/servlet/the-350/650R-OIL-SIGHT-TUBE/Detail

I fitted the damper and the oil sight tube in one go. If you dont wanna get the sight tube, probably better to get a different mount for the damper.

Haggeo, sorry to hijack the thread.

Great looking 650R...

227905203-XL.jpg

Haggeo, if that close-up pic posted is your bike, it seems you already have an oil sight tube fitted, I can just see the top of it.

Previous owner obviously spent $ on the right things. Dipstick mount damper and oil sight tube should kind of go together.

Yeah there are a few different mount options for the damper. Another is with the damper under the handlebars, and there is a forward mount as well.

I went with the dipstick mount because:

1) It was cheaper where I live ?

2) It's seems to be the most common on 650R's

3) Everything is visible and easy to access

4) It takes 2 minutes to remove the damper oil cap mount to fill with oil - very quick & easy

The only problem is that you need to carry your original plug with dipstick with you if you want to check your oil. The damper bolt that screws into the oil filler hole does not have a dipstick to check oil level.

Or (even better) you can fit the oil sight tube, so you can check oil level without removing the cap.

http://www.barnumspro.com/servlet/the-350/650R-OIL-SIGHT-TUBE/Detail

I fitted the damper and the oil sight tube in one go. If you dont wanna get the sight tube, probably better to get a different mount for the damper.

Haggeo, sorry to hijack the thread.

Great looking 650R...

thanks for the info i was wondering if taking the oil cap mount off was a quick thing or what, good to hear that it's a quickie. yeah, the previous owner put a bunch of money into the bike and is fortunate not to have to recover any of it in the sale :busted: he said that the bike does not seem to be charging the battery for the e-start and sure enough the battery goes dead after a day of use. he put a charging pigtail on it so plugging it in at the end of the day is a must. it does start on the first kick but i'm going to contact baja designs and ask where i should start looking for the problem. i do my own wrenching but i'm no expert at it so if anybody has an e-start and knows something i don't do tell.