KDX200/220 Jetting Database

hi_im_sean

The drz forum has one, so lets have one for the kdx. it would really help a lot of people out.

PLEASE POST IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT:

year

model- 200 or 220

conditions where you ride- altitude and temp

engine modifacations you have done

pilot jet

main jet

needle number/type and clip posistion (clip position is from the top of the needle as it is mounted in the carburetor, top being #1)

air screw turns out

hows it working for you?

someone make this a sticky!!!

Washington state, 0-6500ft, 32f-90f

FMF Desert pipe and TC-II, power reeds, FRP torque spacer

RB carb and head, modded airbox lid

PJ-38

MJ-152

CEK or CEL needle, can't remember, will check my notes

Air screw near the SSS ~ 2.75 turns out

Runs fat at high altitude, runs good at sealevel, the thumb adjustable air screw from RB really makes quick adjustments easy. I got a little bit of mid-throttle detonation during a 24hr race at night when the temps dropped in the 20's. Never fouls plugs, spooges a bit.

• Like 1

year: 2005

model: 200

Eastern Kentucky // 900 ft +- 300 // year 'round

engine mods

Wiseco Standard Piston & Rings

Airbox lid: snorkle removed, ten 1/2" holes drilled

Boyesen 607 Reeds

UNI Air Filter w/ No Toil Oil

FMF Gold Series “Gnarly Woods” w/ stock silencer

pilot jet: 42 (>50 degrees) // 45 (<50 degrees)

main jet: 150 (>50 degrees) // 152 (<50 degrees)

needle number/type and clip: CEL-2 (>50 degrees) // DEL-3 (<50 degrees)

It's gone now, but here is where I was at

year: 2003

model: 220

Southern Arizona // 600-3500 ft

engine mods

• Wiseco Standard Piston & Rings
  • Airbox lid: snorkle removed, ~2"x4" hole cut
  • FMF torque reeds
  • Twin Air filter
  • FMF rev pipe and Turbine Core II silencer (sometimes stocker)
  • 36mm bored carb
  • Fredette Racing porting and modifed head

pilot jet: 42

main jet:

• 2500-3500 ft, 90F+, 152 main
  • 2500-3500 ft, 50-90F, 155 main
  • 600-2500 ft, 90F+, 155 main
  • 600-2500 ft, 50-90F, 158 main (although I usually left the 155 main in, when it's that hot out I die, and having 1 more hp doesn't matter)
  • Dunes, 600 ft, 175 main (that's right! Even at 170 I could get the thing boiling and starting to detonate)

needle number/type and clip:

• Most riding - Stock, 2nd clip
  • Dunes - Stock, 4th clip (or I would get mid range deto once really hot)

Slide - stock

I probably should have been running a higher octane fuel in the dunes, I always used pump 91. On trails and even in faster/sandy wide open desert it was fine. But in the dunes I would be holding it wide open for a long time on end and getting the engine really hot. Playing with timing helped a little, but going real rich is what I needed to keep the thing alive. Made great power with those jets, but if you putted fo even 15-20 seconds it felt like the plug wanted to foul when trying to get back up on pipe, even though I never touched the pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't give up - give it some time and bump it every once in a while if you have to . . .

2003 220

MODS: no airbox lid; RB-modified carb (bored to 36mm, divider plate, etc); Dual Stage Reeds; RB-mod head shaped for race gas (run 50/50 VP110/pump); timing is slightly retarded; 12/45 gearing with a 110/100 Pirelli in the rear; FMF rev-profile pipe

JETTING: for colder temps, 150MJ, 40PJ, CEK w/clip @ #4; warmer temps 148MJ, 38PJ, CEK w/clip @ #3; A/S range 2+5/16 (tweaking all the time).

PERFORMANCE: Very strong pull but not violent like a 250; easy to ride; quite powerful and fast in my opinion; bike revs much better with the RB mods (particularly with the race gas head); very easy to get the front wheel up

220 hybrid kdx 05 motor

150 main

42 pilot

6.0 slide

needle can't remember runnin on 2nd clip from the top

35mm 200 carb,

pro circuit platinum pipe

pro circuit 250 kx 304 silencer,

13/47 gearing

Motor has a nice pull from bottom all the way to the top, does not flatten out, stock gearing, 1st and second very short, motor still very torquey but has a long spread of power.

1997 KDX 220

1000 ft +/- 200ft

33mm Keihin

135 main

2nd clip from top of needle

40 pilot

Mods:

Boysen power reeds

FMF Gnarley (woods) pipe

FMF Turbine Core II

Removed Airbox Lid

Missouri Weather (hard to explain)

110 to -10 F

30 to 95 % humidity (happens in all in one day occasionally)

I know it sounds a little lean, but man it runs strong!!

was a

2000 KDX 220

700ft

Jetting

pilot 42

main 158

needle CGM on the 3rd

MODS

FRP

cylinder: plated, ported

head: squish band milled

CARB: bored from 33mm to36mm

Other bolt on mods

FMF rev pipe

VForce 3 reeds

Steathly 10oz fww

Performs like a four stroke, with a short power band,makes the bike feel lighter, D needles change it to more mellow power, easy to run a gear high.

will flat out kick but on anything in slippery muddy conditions.

plug runs mocha pipe runs charcoal with minor spooge on wake up does more aggressive spooging on drastic temp swings 20-30 degs in a few hours.

2000 KDX 220, flat at sealevel

airbox lid on, snorkle on

42 pilot

145 main

stock needle on second down clip position.

crisp throttle response down low, awesome pull on top. I'm expecting my new full FMF knarly pipe with power core 2 slip on to arrive next wednesday, I plan on keeping the lid on and snorkle on and just adjust from there, not worth the potential risk for meltdown removing the lid.

kdx200

300ft.

42 pilot

155 main

clip on number 3 position

about 2 and a quarter to half on the air screw

mods: fmf fatty pipe and fmf silencer,athena piston kit,hot rod,smoothed and bored carb,no airbox lid,uni filter.

it only has about 10 hours on it but the bike runs great.plug is perfect.no boggs anywhere and pulls from bottom to top.best bike ive owned!

Just insalled the FMF Knarly Pipe, and Power Core 2 silencer and man the 42 pilot and 145 main is perfect, air lid is still on and snorkle in place, throttle response is alot better, It honestly feels like an improvement all the way across the board, very crisp and responsive, bottom, mid and topend. Also looks awesome. Ive just rekindled the old flame for the 220!:busted::banghead:

Just insalled the FMF Knarly Pipe, and Power Core 2 silencer and man the 42 pilot and 145 main is perfect, air lid is still on and snorkle in place, throttle response is alot better, It honestly feels like an improvement all the way across the board, very crisp and responsive, bottom, mid and topend. Also looks awesome. Ive just rekindled the old flame for the 220!:busted::banghead:

i think i need to drop the main down. seeing everyones post, almost all are leaner than mine with mods... and im stock. im running a 155, maybve ill try a 148-150. the top always felt kinda flat, never fouls a plug though

My goal is to be a touch on the rich side of perfect, since I would rather give up some power for some reliability.

06 KDX200 bone stock. Airbox lid in place; stock exhaust.

I run MX2T at 32:1. BR8ES.

Ride in Memphis, TN 250ft MSL. Temps variable.

Rejetted today when temp was 65F, but humidity was close to 100%.

Went from stock 160 main to 155.

Went from stock 48 pilot to 45.

Went from stock needle clip position 3 to needle clip position 2 (counting from the top).

Air screw 3.5 turns out.

Bike is still rich everywhere except perhaps at idle, where it is about right.

Next step is to drop main to 150, put needle back to 3rd position, drop PJ to 42, and reset air screw, which is what everyone on here told me to do in the first place. But you guys are on the internet and me and my bike are in the real world, so I played it safe.

• 2 weeks later...