Toyota tacomas?

I am looking at buying a tacoma between 1997 and 1999 and was wondering if anyone here knew what to look for with these trucks. As in what problems they had and such. Also, what kind of difference is there between the 2.7L and the 3.4L in gas mileage and power.

Thanks in advance.

I had a 1998 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Auto. with the 3.4 L V6.

It was a good truck. It had around 120,000 miles when I sold it.

I had to replace the water pump but that's it (besides the normal belt changes). The motor still didn't use any oil and the truck was tight.

As for mileage, if I kept my foot out of it I could get 15-16 in the city and 19-21 on the freeway. It had pretty good power for a 3.4.

I had a 3" lift and 32" BFGs on mine. They are great off-road. They have pretty good clearance for a truck.

Hey man I have a 96 Tacoma 3.4 5 spd 4x4. I've driven the 2.7l before and dont get me wrong its pretty peppy but when you start to go up hills, its all downhill from there. I would deffinatly recomend the 3.4 v6 cause wont have a issues with the power up hills and throwing a couple bikes in the back. You dont really have to worry to much of what to look at except really the timing belt and water pump when it was last changed. I think they recomend it like every 70-80k. Theres a bunch of stuff you can do with them to... i have intake, exhaust cut after muffler, short throw shifter, all blacked out, grill and list goes onnn... Anyway heres a couple pics

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/rid3hard/?action=view&current=all237.jpg

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/rid3hard/?action=view&current=all236.jpg

I had an 02 x-cab 4x4 4cyl, and now I'm driving an 04 d-cab 4x4 V-6. The 4 cyl is slower than the 6 but not bad at all. I wouldn't tow any more than a pop-up with a 4 cyl.

Watch for rusted frames, and trucks that have been used to tow. The rear section of the frame will bend if it's been used to tow much unless its been reinforced. There are pre-cut plates that sell for <$100 made for beefing the rear frame. Otherwise they are great trucks, I work the crap out of mine and it's been bulletproof so far.

I had a 1998 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Auto. with the 3.4 L V6.

It was a good truck. It had around 120,000 miles when I sold it.

I had to replace the water pump but that's it (besides the normal belt changes). The motor still didn't use any oil and the truck was tight.

As for mileage, if I kept my foot out of it I could get 15-16 in the city and 19-21 on the freeway. It had pretty good power for a 3.4.

I had a 3" lift and 32" BFGs on mine. They are great off-road. They have pretty good clearance for a truck.

did you use to live in San Diego? I think i bought your truck ?

is that it:

101_0648.jpg

101_0649.jpg

i added a few stickers.

I have an 04 V6 extended cab and love it. My friend has a 98 4cyl and it needs more power. We live in Western PA and have a good bit of hills and mountains. He puts the pedal down to the floor and can barely keep the 45mph speed limit in some areas. He got passed by a semi on a hill last time I rode with him!

There is a part that goes bad on these trucks and, for the life of me, I can't think of what it's called. I know the 98-99 trucks have problems with them. It's not a cheap fix either...about $800. I believe it has something to do with keeping the engine stable and the fan belt. If it goes bad, you feel the truck vibrating and eventually it damages the rad. It has a terribly funny name...one where you would thing the shop is pulling your leg for telling you it is going bad!

Maybe someone else on here knows what I am talking about. Otherwise, I'll post when I talk to my friend.

The other major problem is rust! My 2004 already has a great deal of rust underneath.

I have an 04 V6 extended cab and love it. My friend has a 98 4cyl and it needs more power. We live in Western PA and have a good bit of hills and mountains. He puts the pedal down to the floor and can barely keep the 45mph speed limit in some areas. He got passed by a semi on a hill last time I rode with him!

There is a part that goes bad on these trucks and, for the life of me, I can't think of what it's called. I know the 98-99 trucks have problems with them. It's not a cheap fix either...about $800. I believe it has something to do with keeping the engine stable and the fan belt. If it goes bad, you feel the truck vibrating and eventually it damages the rad. It has a terribly funny name...one where you would thing the shop is pulling your leg for telling you it is going bad!

Maybe someone else on here knows what I am talking about. Otherwise, I'll post when I talk to my friend.

The other major problem is rust! My 2004 already has a great deal of rust underneath.

LOL anyone buying Toyota should know that. Found the same thing with the ones I've had, and they were brand new! The new Yamaha Edition 07 TRD Tacoma I've got is in great shape after getting it special ordered in June. Mainly because I try to wash it at least once a week. And a good wash at that, if not, I at least give it a rinse whenever I can. And I had the undercarriage treated with the protectant stuff. BIG rust blocker there. Cost me an extra $300 (would have been more if I didn't get the deal from my uncle who owns the dealership) after the OTD price, but definitely pays itself off after a year... even less!

• 4 months later...

Partner; You Are About To Do Yourself A Great Service By Buying That Tacoma I Have A 99 Sr-5 4x4 With A 3.4 And I Love It It Has 154,000 On It And Im Not Thinking About Selling. I Live With A Ideal In My Life "if It Works Don't Fix It" These Toyotas Just Run Andrun. You Won't Be Disapointed. Nothing Runs Like A Toilet!

x about 100 on the 3.4L! It's good on gas, has good power (I can get going just fine with 33" M/T's on my 4runner) and in 4 years of ownership, I've spent $6 on repairs - starter contacts (not including maint.) Keep an eye out for a TRD edition if you do any offroading - it comes with a locking rear diff!?

A Yota thing it is, understand you would not.

I bought a brand new (in the day) 1998 extra cab, SR5, V6, 4WD, and the TRD Off Road Package, ie electric locker, Bilstein shocks, progressive springs... has all the power options, plus ABS. I get 23 mpg highway, and about 19.6 combo. I still own it today. It has 56K miles and resides in a heated garage. Has all its life. I will get bored with it long before I can ever wear it out. I pull a 7X16 enclosed trailer with it to a race track all through the winter.

I have a 98 Taco SR5 4x4, manual transmission and a TRD supercharger. The blower makes a HUGE difference, especially around here in the mountains. And it pulls a loaded 5x8 enclosed trailer pretty good, too.

Legendary reliability in Toyotas....I've never had any major problems. It's tempting to upgrade to a new one, but I have to keep reminding myself that this one is paid for, reliable, cheap to insure, and I can put that money toward another bike..or something...