2006 300xc or stay with 4 stroke

Looking to come off my YZ250F 06. Great bike, with the heavier flywheel it is great for woods. love the smooth strong power, not the huge snappy hit. The bike is plenty strong since it is worked. Able to chug down and power is there when needed. Just trying to go plated so I can go from trail to trail on fire roads and also when going to Ga, SC and NC and be able to ride roads just to get something to eat and gas.

Not sure what to go to though, go with the 06 250xcf or go to a 06 300xc. I like the light feeling of bikes and being able to man handle when needed. I weigh 215 with no gear. I rode my buddies 300ecx 2002 just down the road and seem to have a lot of snappy hit but I guess you could smooth it out with a heavier flywheel. I had an 07 250xcf-w, but seemed to be lacking low end hit that you need for the sand, of course now they fixed that with jetting and wiring. But I have always had 4 strokes so I'm a little confused on the 2 stroke route and if I'll like it. was thinking of the 250xcf and plate that.

I do mostly single track in Florida sand and take trips to GA once in a while. Once is a blue moon I go to a track, but I'm getting too old to jump anyway (38 LOL)

Also, does anyone else have thier 2 stroke tagged and street legal. Is it leagal to have a 2 stroke street legal? I know you need the light kit, blinkers and DOT tires, but will it be street legal?

I want the power, love the 4 stroke smooth power but never really ridden a two stroke , confused

That's for sure a tough decision, I've even got another post in the forum on the same subject. I'd really like to have both to be honest and try the 2t out for a while. If I end up liking it more then I would sell the 4t or visa versa, however I'm not that wealthy, it's one or the other and I have to live with it.

I hear ya, would be nice to be able to afford both

That's for sure a tough decision, I've even got another post in the forum on the same subject. I'd really like to have both to be honest and try the 2t out for a while. If I end up liking it more then I would sell the 4t or visa versa, however I'm not that wealthy, it's one or the other and I have to live with it.

if you think your 250f had a hit then you wont like a 2st unless you are willing to ride it a few times and then go back to the 250f and see the difference. You may be thinking you hate the bike, but then ride the old one again and you will then be able to truely tell the difference.

Im just the opposite of you, I wont have a 4st until I cant have a 2st anymore, cuz they are heavy, no power, hard/expensive to work on. Also if you fall over a 2st will start in one or two kicks. Try that on most big 4st. Look at the pro MX races when they fall off, kick n kick.

I guess mine is a little different then the normal 4 stroke, motor has been worked at Yamaha of Troy, full duback exhaust, etc. So it has more power then most 4 st 250's. Heavier flywheel weight , larger rear sprocket for more woods friendly.

As for starting, I guess I'm lucky here too. Always in two kicks, even after I fall. Now I had a 06 KX250F and you would kick your leg off. If I could plate the Yama I would just keep it

if you think your 250f had a hit then you wont like a 2st unless you are willing to ride it a few times and then go back to the 250f and see the difference. You may be thinking you hate the bike, but then ride the old one again and you will then be able to truely tell the difference.

Im just the opposite of you, I wont have a 4st until I cant have a 2st anymore, cuz they are heavy, no power, hard/expensive to work on. Also if you fall over a 2st will start in one or two kicks. Try that on most big 4st. Look at the pro MX races when they fall off, kick n kick.

In Florida you can get the KTM plated and titled. Just have to put DOT tires on it, lights and your ready to go. Heck, they don't even check emmisions in Florida anymore. You should see some of the cars that drive around. If I was to go that route I would probably look harder into the XCF 250

Still wondering, xcf250 or 200xc

I don't know about SC and GA, but you won't get a 2 stroke legally plated in NC, or a motocross 4 stroke for that matter unless you have somehow gotten a clean title.

In Florida you can get the KTM plated and titled. Just have to put DOT tires on it, lights and your ready to go. Heck, they don't even check emmisions in Florida anymore. You should see some of the cars that drive around. If I was to go that route I would probably look harder into the XCF 250

Still wondering, xcf250 or 200xc

the only reason I stated that was in case the other states were a concern. I know FL has very laxed emission standards.

I'm with Gator, 2 stroke from now on. If you look at my sig, I tried going back to a 4T, I knew almost immediately I made a mistake. 2 strokes are too much fun, too easy to maintain, and too cheap to rebuild for me to switch again.?

I want the power, love the 4 stroke smooth power but never really ridden a two stroke , confused

I went from an XR400 to a CRF250R and never thought I'd want a 2 stroke off roader. Then my father in law gave me a sweet deal on a 200EXC and I've never looked back. I did install a 12 oz. flywheel weight and that made all the difference for me. It is really smooth and easy to ride, won't stall and it still rips when I need it too. I can't ride a 4 stroke now without feeling the weight. My bro in law and his son are both CRF riders, but after riding my 200 they are both getting KTM 2 strokes. I think you'd love the 300 w/ a FWW. ?

Looking to come off my YZ250F 06. Great bike, with the heavier flywheel it is great for woods. love the smooth strong power, not the huge snappy hit. The bike is plenty strong since it is worked. Able to chug down and power is there when needed. Just trying to go plated so I can go from trail to trail on fire roads and also when going to Ga, SC and NC and be able to ride roads just to get something to eat and gas.

Not sure what to go to though, go with the 06 250xcf or go to a 06 300xc. I like the light feeling of bikes and being able to man handle when needed. I weigh 215 with no gear. I rode my buddies 300ecx 2002 just down the road and seem to have a lot of snappy hit but I guess you could smooth it out with a heavier flywheel. I had an 07 250xcf-w, but seemed to be lacking low end hit that you need for the sand, of course now they fixed that with jetting and wiring. But I have always had 4 strokes so I'm a little confused on the 2 stroke route and if I'll like it. was thinking of the 250xcf and plate that.

I do mostly single track in Florida sand and take trips to GA once in a while. Once is a blue moon I go to a track, but I'm getting too old to jump anyway (38 LOL)

Also, does anyone else have thier 2 stroke tagged and street legal. Is it leagal to have a 2 stroke street legal? I know you need the light kit, blinkers and DOT tires, but will it be street legal?

Since you want a street legal bike, ya better stick with a 4-stroke.

Otherwise, I would go with the '06 300xc.

Oh, and what are you talking about being too old to jump????

The gang I ride with has mostly turned 50 (including me.:-o, and in the local +50 MX class if you're not doing the doubles, you're not gonna place!

?

Since you want a street legal bike, ya better stick with a 4-stroke.

Otherwise, I would go with the '06 300xc.

Oh, and what are you talking about being too old to jump????

The gang I ride with has mostly turned 50 (including me.:-o, and in the local +50 MX class if you're not doing the doubles, you're not gonna place!

?

I'm a solid B rider (well, I used to be) in mx and I rode with an old guy on a motocross track that was faster than me. He was in his upper 60's I think he said! I feel terrible, but I forgot his name. He still races and places in the 50+ class and I think even the 40+ class throughout the country. He is also an instructor for Tony D MX school.

I personally know 3 guys that rode the 2-stroke, sold it, bought a big 4-stroke, 525 & 450, sold it & now ride a 250 or 300 2-stroke again.

Ride them both yourself. Your rear end will tell you which bike to buy.

Personally, I love the hit! ? It will pull your arms off when you want it to.

I'm a solid B rider (well, I used to be) in mx and I rode with an old guy on a motocross track that was faster than me. He was in his upper 60's I think he said! I feel terrible, but I forgot his name. He still races and places in the 50+ class and I think even the 40+ class throughout the country. He is also an instructor for Tony D MX school.

Wow, that old guy is my hero! Obviously since he's a TonyD instructor, he is not your typical +60 rider.

How does your 300XC work for MX track days?

Wow, that old guy is my hero! Obviously since he's a TonyD instructor, he is not your typical +60 rider.

How does your 300XC work for MX track days?

Actually I have only messed around on tracks a handful of times since I bought my 300. I got back into woods riding about a year and a half ago and haven't been interested in mx much since. When I rode with the old timer, I was riding a CRF250R and he was too.......But to your question, from what track riding I have done the 300 seems to do pretty good. The stock suspension will handle all the doubles and some of the bigger jumps and I weigh 180# before gear. I have bottomed out hard on a tabletop that I overshot and flatlanded. I have my suspension adjusted for offroad, but it may be able to be adjusted better to suit the tracks. I'm not sure because I haven't tried.

I owned a 06 ktm 300xc-w....if coming off a jap bike then it is different..good points are...tough...and basically clean filter and ride...trannie oil seems to never get dirty and they are tough...always start..jetting...really hard to satisfy...best way...race fuel...and with the 06...be ready to spend some money on a dampener and revalve ft/rr...xc model..better...18 degree triple clamps...but best bang for buck...sx250...convet...cheaper...or buy a 08 300 xcw-e....$$$$$$$