2006 300xc or stay with 4 stroke

On the verge of getting a '05 300EXC, swapping straight trade for my 450. Is that a good deal, if so for who?

That depends on the condition of your bikes. If they're equal condition then I think it's a fair deal for both of you.

Well I did it, and yes I gave up the magic button, then again this starts up so darn easy.... Took it out for some laps on a little track I've made in an abandoned new subdivision behind my house. Holly crap this thing really rips!!! The vibration that I was concerned about, not an issue, the power hit, again I LOVE IT!!!! The coming riding season is gonna be so fun, can't wait for my next ride. Might have to be sick on Monday if I can find someone to be sick with!!!!

PC080056.jpg

PC080055.jpg

Still need to add my hand guards, Scotts steering dampner and PMB rear disk guard....!

Also, does anyone else have thier 2 stroke tagged and street legal. Is it leagal to have a 2 stroke street legal? I know you need the light kit, blinkers and DOT tires, but will it be street legal?

Brett01 just bought a 06 300XCW that is tagged.

Well I did it, and yes I gave up the magic button, then again this starts up so darn easy.... Took it out for some laps on a little track I've made in an abandoned new subdivision behind my house. Holly crap this thing really rips!!! The vibration that I was concerned about, not an issue, the power hit, again I LOVE IT!!!! The coming riding season is gonna be so fun, can't wait for my next ride. Might have to be sick on Monday if I can find someone to be sick with!!!!

PC080056.jpg

PC080055.jpg

Still need to add my hand guards, Scotts steering dampner and PMB rear disk guard....!

Congrats! That's a nice looking bike!

When your riding, it for sure feels lighter, picking it up though it's tough to feel the 25lb difference.

I have a slightly differing opinion; agree that riding my smudgepot feels a bit lighter than my YZ400F stroker, but the YZ feels a lot heavier (like at least 25 lbs diff) when picking it up or lifting it up onto a stand.

I have a slightly differing opinion; agree that riding my smudgepot feels a bit lighter than my YZ400F stroker, but the YZ feels a lot heavier (like at least 25 lbs diff) when picking it up or lifting it up onto a stand.

Well I need to change my opinion on this as tonight I've spent a bunch of time working on the bike doing misc stuff. This required me lifting the bike up on my stand quite a few times and I must say, this bike for sure feels lighter after all this lifting.

• 1 month later...

I ride a 200 XCW and love it. A couple of tricks and the power is smooth. FMF Gnarly pipe, Fly wheel weight, and a 46 tooth rear sprocket. Most people love the Rekluse clutch as well.

I had a 300 EXC, dodged a couple of bullets with the hard hit and finally got bit to the tune of a new rotator cuff. The 300XC can be even more of a handful. Not a good choice for a first time 2 stroker. The 250 XCW is the most linear, mellow power of all the 2 smokers.

I went from a 2006 YZ250f to a 2008 KTM 300xc. It is Exactly what you are considering. I wanted a bike for the track and the woods and I need something with a little more power. i weigh 220lb, never owned a 2t before and have only been riding for a year and a half. The 300 is the best bike I have ever rode. I have ridden about 20 different bikes. I love it and I think you should buy one. The only thing I miss is a little bottom end grunt from the 250f comming out of the turns, but i am working on fixing that right now. Other than that i go to bed as happy as a school girl every night thinking about my new bike. Whats really nice is that the power band hit is at the end of the throttle and you have the control of when to trun it on. Rock and Roll!

The 250/300's have the tuneable power valve via the spring, so you can dial the "hit" in to where you want it. You won't go wrong with a 300. great bike. Allows you to pick a bad line and torque through. Lugs like a champ.

I had 3 300's over the years and swore by them. The only reason i don't ride 300's now, I spent a day on a 200 and went home, sold my 300 and bought a 200. I am 210lbs w/o gear and the 200 is just amazing to me. Light weight and handling like a 125 but the power of a 250 in the same package.......

You'll love the 300, it is a bike that does it all good. But just for grins, ride a 200 sometime.......

It's really pretty easy to plate a 2T. I have a 07 200Xc and a plate for it. Got my insurance from Gieco and a plate from Maine. Maine does not require you to be a resident to register a vehicle, nor does New Hampshire but they charge sales tax.....