Sign in to follow this  

Anyone go from a DRZ to a DR650

Debating on whether I should get the larger tank and Corbin seat for mine, or just trade my DRZ400S for a DR650. Right now, to do more than 100 miles with the SDG seat I have on the DRZ, is painful. I would like to do some longer adventure rides, so I am contemplating on what to do. Anyone on here come from a DRZ???

I have both. I like the DRZ better in tight trails, it feels lighter and handles better for me. Better suspension as well. The DR for me was just too heavy and bulky for the types of trails that I have around here, but I absolutely LOVE it on the street. Very smooth running and better for long trips. The stock seat on the DR, while rather uncomfortable is MUCH better than the stock seat on the DRZ for long rides. I still upgraded my DR to a Corbin seat and it made all the difference in the world. If I had to choose, I'd probably just go with the DR and stay out of tight trails. If you can afford both, that would be a great option.

I went from DRZs with seat foam & tank to DR with seat foam. Would like to add the IMS to the DR in the future. I would still have the DRZs if it had a wide ratio 6 speed instead of a semi close ratio 5 speed! Been pissed at Suzuki about that since they came out (must be 10 years). I used the DRZs for dual sport (no single track) riding with my wife (plated CRF150/230 hybrid) and wanted more comfort and relaxed 60ish cruising. Easer to make the DR long haul comfortable then the DRZs, easer to make the DRZs dirt worthy than the DR. I think Suzuki is missing sales by not giving the DRZ Fuel Injection, 50 more cc's and a 6 speed. The thing also ate batteries even with a Battery Tender. In the DR's favor is simplicity (valve adj & air cooling) with bullet proof durability. I also like the adjustable ride hight option on the DR. If it makes any difference I have a KTM EXC for when things get dirty. I should also say that even though the DR has a wide ratio 5 speed I've never met a WR 6 speed I didn't like!

MCNut

My first Bike at 16 was a 2005 400s the next year i bought a 2006 650 something that is really hard to get in saskatchewan canada had to wait 6 months. Things i liek about the 400 the looks are better the technogly is better, the full option speedo was nice to. Seat height was way to high for me and im 6'2", felt really top heavy compared to the 650, cost more money then the 650, littel more maintaince, i found the temp light and the quick check air filter compartment was nicer then on the 650. The rear fender on the 400 looks way better after you take off the mud guard, carb mounted choke is way sweet then the handle bar mounted, take up way to much room. There are more mods for the 400, but there are still tons for the 650 too jsut have to look alot harder. Comfort they both feel like sitting on a brick and make ur butt go numb in an hour. The 650s street manner are way nicer, i even liked it more off road finding it much easyier to pick up after biffing when the stock tires dont put out, grab on the set and on the passenger hand hold and she get off the ground nicly. Less technogly on the 650 mean less stuff to brake off. 650 is defenly the bike for me specialy after spending a grand on parts. One last thing plates for the bikes here are 400= 40bucks a month and 650 cost 88 bucks a month which i thought was rediculous.

I had an '06 DRZ400S and although I am a dirtbiker, I couldn't find anything I liked about the bike. Although I was looking for something more street-worthy, I wanted something that could do both street and trail. The DRZ was not the bike. If it had a lower cg, better seat options, much more power, more top speed, better stability it would be great! But then it would be very much like the DR650, and Suzuki doesn't want that.

My suggestion is this: If you want a street-legal dirtbike to do single track, get a plated KTM and have a blast on the trails. The DRZ just can't cut it. But for some people, that doesn't matter, so the DRZ is just fine.

I push my DR like a dirtbike, and I can say that it is definitely a big handful for any rider, and much harder to deal with than the DRZ400S. However, the heavier DR650 is MUCH more stable on a gravel road at high speeds. The DRZ was horrible, and that's why I sold it. The DR650 may be the most enjoyable street bike/dual-sport bike that I've ever ridden.

The DR650 may be the most enjoyable street bike/dual-sport bike that I've ever ridden.

+1. I'm seriously considering putting my Tuono up for sale. :thumbsup:

+1. I'm seriously considering putting my Tuono up for sale. :thumbsup:

I sold my sport bike and my dirt bike after owning the DR for a year. I never had time to ride them because I was always on the DR. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I guess it's because it's so versatile and easy to handle. The really tight curves that made me a little nervous on the SV are ridiculously easy on the DR.

I put my 919 up for sale because I find myself having more fun on the DR. I like the versatility, and I feel safer on the DR because I grew up on dirtbikes. I think for me the DR is about the perfect weight. I don't get blown around too much on the road, yet it feels worlds lighter that my 919.

I saw your post and thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have a 2005 KLR 650 and a 2007 DR650. I traded my 2004 DRZ400S for my DR650. I love the DR650. The DR650 is not water cooled or high tech like the DRZ but for me it is a better bike. I ride 90% paved and 10% offroad. The DRZ was really good offroad but not too good past 70mph, it had too much vibration and seemed like it was straining. My DR650 has no problems running at 80-85, (my KLR is a lot slower than my DR650). I really think the DR650 is faster than the DRZ. The DR650 is a mechanically sound motorcycle with an excellent reliabilty. I am getting around 50-58mpg on the DR650 and I got about the same on my DRZ. If I had to pick only one between a DRZ400S, DR650 or a KLR650 I would pick the DR650.

Longest trips.

DRZ 280 miles

DR650 400 miles

KLR 750 miles

if it matters I am 6'1" and weigh about 190.