DRZ-SM Miles to a tank (before reserve)

My last fill up I put as much in as I dared, and I hit 104 miles last night when I had to switch to reserve. I'm 5'8, 180lbs, and I only have 300 miles on the bike so I am taking it a bit easy. My first tank hit reserve at ~75 miles, but that was from the dealer so who knows how full they made it. next tank was ~90 if I remember correctly, then I filled up again before hitting reserve.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi smoke, :busted:

What you saying is not true.

The current standard in California is only 6% ethanol, and had only recently been approved in June 2007 to be raised to 10% beginning in 2010.

Sometimes the ones who accuse others of being untruthful the loudest...

...are in fact untruthful themselves. :banghead:

Take Care,

Greg

I thought about my post, and yes, it is not exactly in tune with the Holiday Season, and I believe we've had this discussion before, Greg.

So I guess you win, because I don't care. I will stop waterboarding you, and let you on your merry way.

Of course, one point must be made... Just because 6% is mandated, doesn't mean that 6% is actually the amount in your fuel. Anyone that trusts oil distributors is a complete fool. Here I participated in legislation that requires testing of ethanol levels. We found that many distributors and retailers were selling up to 20% ethanol blends (they were supposed to be 10%.) Also, many were selling the 20% blends as pure gasoline.

We now have laws and testing to combat these criminal fraudsters that saturate the oil and gas industry. Unfortunately, this temporary reprieve for the consumer is only going to last until the weights and measures officials get yet another bribe... And probably a much more lucrative bribe than before.

It is sad, I know.

Of course, 68.5MPG adjusted for 6% ethanol (rather conservative,) is still 69.87MPG... Which I just don't believe.

But as I'm sure you'll say... "It's okay if you don't believe me."

Fair enough. Happy Holidays.

Wow. In years upon years of riding, this idea has never occurred to me. :banghead: Thanks Greg! No more '"sputtersputterchugplbbbb.. what the...? Oh for Pete's sake, nice move, Slick" moments for me.

(Of course, when that moment DOES happen again with New Plan, Scott will be hitch-hiking to get a Big Gulp cup full of gas... :busted: )

BTW: I would normally get 85-100 miles before reserve, contingent on how I was riding.

Rather than risk running completely out just do what I do. I leave it in the on position until I see the mileage on the odo hit about 75-80, than I just go ahead and flip it to reserve and hit a gas station on the way home from work that day and fill up and then put it back to the on position. That way if I forget to fill up I still have a reserve.

Like clockwork I run out at 83 miles every time.

I thought about my post, and yes, it is not exactly in tune with the Holiday Season, and I believe we've had this discussion before, Greg.

So I guess you win, because I don't care. I will stop waterboarding you, and let you on your merry way.

Of course, one point must be made... Just because 6% is mandated, doesn't mean that 6% is actually the amount in your fuel. Anyone that trusts oil distributors is a complete fool. Here I participated in legislation that requires testing of ethanol levels. We found that many distributors and retailers were selling up to 20% ethanol blends (they were supposed to be 10%.) Also, many were selling the 20% blends as pure gasoline.

We now have laws and testing to combat these criminal fraudsters that saturate the oil and gas industry. Unfortunately, this temporary reprieve for the consumer is only going to last until the weights and measures officials get yet another bribe... And probably a much more lucrative bribe than before.

It is sad, I know.

Of course, 68.5MPG adjusted for 6% ethanol (rather conservative,) is still 69.87MPG... Which I just don't believe.

But as I'm sure you'll say... "It's okay if you don't believe me."

Fair enough. Happy Holidays.

Hi smoke, :D

You're right...:banghead:

...your belief that I'm a liar is not a problem, because each of us chose a fundamentally different view of the world around us.

In contrast to your expressed oil company sentiments...

I don't regard myself as a helpless victim of conspiratorial corporate oil cabals who are out to "get me", because I simply don't buy enough of their product for it to matter... regardless of the cost.

So my own personal approach is to do my best to find simple ways to live free of those kinds of negative situations altogether, rather than to be a helpless victim who blames others for the natural consequences of their own actions.

Over the years, I've learned how to be useful, productive, and how to prosper and enjoy a good life regardless of economic political or moral conditions in the world.:busted:

Take Care,

Greg

I guess the thing that prompted me to argue with you, is I'm still pissed off that your BS gave me the expectation of at least 60MPG with my DR-Z before I bought it. I've yet to break 50MPG and that is riding around in the 40-50MPH zones on a real hot day.

How many others has this info screwed up? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is reminded of the fact when I fill up my bikes gas tank.

As for conspiracy theories about the petroleum industry, it is hard to quantify something as a "conspiracy" when I was the one that prompted the investigation, and one of my relatives was the one handing out the fines for the violations. Half the gas stations in the area were defrauding customers by 10-20%, and continued to do so with ethanol blends, because they thought the law wouldn't be enforced.

Remember the old saying... People are the same everywhere, and so it follows that business people and local government officials probably are the same everywhere as well. It is just too easy to rip off the consumers with blended fuels, BS, and denial of any wrongdoing.

So, I just finished reading this entire thread--all seven pages--and it baffles me that there's such a broad discrepancy in fuel milage. I did note that those riders claiming higher milage also fell into the "higher" age group; i.e. north of 50. I'm 53, 200 lbs., and 6 ft. tall. I ride tall bars and a tall seat, so I'm up there in the wind, but from day one my 2005 SM has given me 55-60 mpg in mixed riding conditions. I have 9000 miles on the clock and it pulls stronger now than when it was young. It has absolutely box-stock aspiration, no airbox mod, no re-jetting, and OEM exhaust. I'm at 800 ft. above sea level (it's called Iowa) and run the 10% regular ethanol blend. I broke the bike in per instructions in the Owner's Manual (which, by the way, recommends the ethanol blend--read the fine print). It's probably the way I ride. Though I perceive myself as a pretty frisky rider, I'm not going to make it into any Marvel comic books; for me, over 80 mph is stupid fast on a 300 lb. up-right bike, and my adventures for this bike are hard leans into tight corners at 30 mph, so not a fuel-intense exercise. I also got over 5000 miles on my first rear tire (no, I'm not lyin'; and, yes, I'm only on my second D208) and, sure, the center looked pretty bald by that point, but I still had grip on the sides. But that's another thread. . .

So what if the DRZ does 30,50 or70mpg.If people are that bothered about fuel consumption then why not buy a 4 stroke 50cc scooter!

As for buying a bike because somebody said it did 60mpg..........................i for one would never buy a bike based on fuel consumption figures.Just my 10cents.:banghead:

I don't care what kind of mileage I get on my drz, but I regularly get mid to high 50's while running 80-90 mph on the freeways. I also accelerate at traffic lights a lot harder than I need to. Maybe this spring I will actually make an attempt at 70mpg by accelerating like a normal human being and driving the speed limit on the freeways. There is no doubt in my mind that I can get 60 mpg easily, high 60's or even 70 would not shock me one bit.

So what if the DRZ does 30,50 or70mpg.If people are that bothered about fuel consumption then why not buy a 4 stroke 50cc scooter!

As for buying a bike because somebody said it did 60mpg..........................i for one would never buy a bike based on fuel consumption figures.Just my 10cents.:banghead:

I am not surprised that you'd make that assumption and type it in a disparaging way. I guess it is okay for the BS about MPG as long as you guys are pals. Same garbage on every forum. Few have the balls to tell the truth for some really weird reason.

I did not buy my bike based upon gas mileage, but rather I needed a bike that could handle several miles of sand whoops every day, without me having to bother with the pickup, the gear, mixing gas, and other stupid stuff just to go from point A to B. I get bored riding road bikes, and if they are not very expensive, eventually trash them, by abusing them on trails, and off-road situations.

The gas mileage thing is the same on every forum. I suppose your Ford/Chevy/Dodge V8 gets 24MPG on the highway, because it is magic just like your DR-Z. I've seen this @#$% on EVERY forum...

I guess forums are the same everywhere as well. Maybe that has to do with people being the same everywhere?

It wasnt meant to come across as desparaging at all,sometimes comments, come over as offensive when its just tongue-in-cheek or whatever.Maybe i should have added a :busted: after my comments.

What started out as a question about mpg figures has turned a little sour because somebody gets more milage than somebody else,i for one did not mention what mpg i get.

I originally posted that i get to 100 miles then fill up,if i remember right i went out for the day over to Wales with Neil Claydon,when he had his DRZ,and we both went onto reserve around the 110mile mark.That was pretty slow riding but normally i dont make a habit of going onto reserve.Nor do i own a chevy/dodge/etc,as for the magic DRZ that a secret.:banghead:

I am not surprised that you'd make that assumption and type it in a disparaging way. I guess it is okay for the BS about MPG as long as you guys are pals. Same garbage on every forum. Few have the balls to tell the truth for some really weird reason.

I did not buy my bike based upon gas mileage, but rather I needed a bike that could handle several miles of sand whoops every day, without me having to bother with the pickup, the gear, mixing gas, and other stupid stuff just to go from point A to B. I get bored riding road bikes, and if they are not very expensive, eventually trash them, by abusing them on trails, and off-road situations.

The gas mileage thing is the same on every forum. I suppose your Ford/Chevy/Dodge V8 gets 24MPG on the highway, because it is magic just like your DR-Z. I've seen this @#$% on EVERY forum...

I guess forums are the same everywhere as well. Maybe that has to do with people being the same everywhere?

Wow, don't hold back, just say what you mean :busted:

Fuel consumption is a very hot subject it seems, personally the very most I ever got on my DRZ was 105 miles to reserve (once), the norm was around 80 miles.

And that takes in the stock BSR, the 3x3 and D/J kit, and an FCR, the Edelbrock was pretty consistent at 60 to 70 miles.

I have to say that I have always doubted most of the claims I see on here, the US gallon is nearly a litre smaller than a UK gallon but everybody seems to get more MPG than me :busted:

That alone tells me something is not right.

Neil. :banghead::D :D

Hi Smoke, :banghead:

First you said...

I guess the thing that prompted me to argue with you, is I'm still pissed off that your BS gave me the expectation of at least 60MPG with my DR-Z before I bought it. I've yet to break 50MPG and that is riding around in the 40-50MPH zones on a real hot day.

How many others has this info screwed up? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is reminded of the fact when I fill up my bikes gas tank.

Then you said...

I did not buy my bike based upon gas mileage, but rather I needed a bike that could handle several miles of sand whoops every day, without me having to bother with the pickup, the gear, mixing gas, and other stupid stuff just to go from point A to B. ?

So which one is the truth?

And do you really live in the Cayman Islands.

Take Care,

Greg :busted:

ok = so based on this thread, i can assume:

1.) The average mpg for a DRZ400 is about 45-55mpg

2.) Greg has the only "magic DRZ" that somehow gets 70mpg

3.) Fuel quality/Ambient temperature/mods/and riding style all have an impact on MPG, but we are all still averaging 45-55 mpg, (except for Greg)

whatever. i get 50 mpg, whether i ride like greg or beat the bag out of it.

i guess my DRZ is just "normal"

maybe i should sprinkle some of the magic 70mpg pixie dust on my DRZ....

I 'm running about 90 to 95 before the switch to reserve. What octane rating are you running?

another with 45-48 mpg

i personally run super (93) at times and regular (87) at others...all depends on my mood and my wallet :banghead:

I saw a big difference in mileage when I swapped out the cams and added a FCR. It may not be such a drastic difference, but when you only have slightly more that two imperial gallons at your disposal, the addition of the performance add ons affects the distance you are able to travel. This thread confirms for me that the FCR I bought is giving me the mileage that others are getting so my jetting is fairly close.Thanks to all those that have posted so far, I learn something new everyday.:banghead: vanram