Sign in to follow this  

Vortex Ignition awesome

I had to say something, after reading a bunch of post where people say they can not feel the difference between the different power or traction settings I have to disagree. Map 1 (best overall power) is quite a bit better than stock and it isn't just the increased rev limit. While the increased rev limit is nice there is still a very noticable difference between map 1 and I think it was map 0 which was stock curve with increased rev limit. Map 9 was awesome IMO and my friends opinion who is a top level A rider, we both thought this map had the most power out of the maps we tired. We also tried 7 which was a lot like 9 but felt like it had just a little less power and was a little smoother. Map 2 which is a traction map for sure does give the bike more traction and we could discribe it as "feels like the clutch is slipping" (the clutch was not slipping though because switching it back to 9 there was no slip) mode 2 you clould hit turns a gear higher with out having to use the clutch. We also tried map 6 which was traction linear power, felt similar to 2 but it sacraficed some torque for more mid range. Bottom line is the ignition really does work well and we tested it with a B level motocross rider (myself) and a A level motocross rider my friend and we both felt the differences and discribed them in similar ways.

thats also what i have been saying you cant see the diferences on the inertia dyno but you can feel them and see the differences in lap times .i have a vortex on the new 07 crf i built.

I also have had great luck with the Vortex. I usually end up on curve 1, the performance curve.

Glad to hear im not the only one who can feel the difference on the track, I ordered one then saw a bunch of post where people didnt like them, didnt feel any difference and people who thought the rev limiter was the only difference. After using it though I can honestly say there was a jump right out of a turn that I could only make everyone once in a while using the stock ignition and after installing the vortex I could make it every single lap. I rode for about an hour with the stock CDI then installed the vortex and I never cased that jump again...

Does anyone have the tuning software? Is it possible to change the map 1 to the x10 map number 9? I thought that x10 #9 was better everywhere then map 1.

i have the tuning software but havent used it much im sure thers going to be advantages when and if i ever get time to work on some new maps .

Mine does not have the updated maps they are just the stock 04 maps. I would be interested in getting it updated but it does seem pretty good the way it is. I know on my sheet it says Changed map 1 to map 6, map 1 now same as HRA map 1.

i heard using the ignitions you have a GREATER chance of blowing uyour bike alot faster???? or whats the deal on that???

I have heard that also, I have not had it long enough to know but I would think as long as you maintain the top end,air filter, oil that you should be ok. I think the problem would come if you are trying to see how many hours you can get out of your top end. I know people say that they have got like 100 hours on a single piston or top end I personally have no problem putting in a top end at 30-35 hours, where you are going to run less risk of the bike blowing up.

I did have to change the pilot jet but I think it was due to the cold weather and not the ignition. It was a 40 and I know most people use 42 but mine always ran fine with the 40. After installing the ignition and the weather dropping into the 30*f range it needed the 42 pilot. It ran really well with the 40 but did bog somtimes when landing a jump now it is flawless and as fast as you can turn your hand is as fast as it will rev in neutral, no bog/hesitation at all. Let me tell you what though with the 42 in there the bike rips.

i dont own one but plan on buying the tokyo mods one. i think the biggest problem with motor reliabilty is the rev limit increase. is there any way to tune the rev limit back down?

If you have the software you can program them so Im sure you can put the rev limit down but it is really nice to have the extra rev limit. If you put it back to stock rev limit it won't be as effective.

Mine does not have the updated maps they are just the stock 04 maps. I would be interested in getting it updated but it does seem pretty good the way it is. I know on my sheet it says Changed map 1 to map 6, map 1 now same as HRA map 1.

Tokyo Mods will update your vortex with the new maps for the 2007

has anyone tested an 08 vortex/ 08 CRF 250?

we tested the 07 version with a changed wire system from an 07, but wasn't as good as it should be...

(on dyno)

we tested the 07 version with a changed wire system from an 07, but wasn't as good as it should be...

(on dyno)

Not sure what you are saying here. You have a Vortex and had to change the wiring for the 07?

(on dyno)

Notice than Ron (RHC) said there wasn't much difference on the inertia dyno but the rider noticed the differences.