Husky warm start procedure?

I have a 1993 WXE-350 Husky. I love the bike and it starts up with 1 kick when cold (fuel enricher on). Never a problem when I first start it up. However, after riding it for 20 or 30 minutes, God help me if it stalls out or I shut it off. I usually have a hell of a time getting it restarted. What is the correct procedure for starting oneof these?

I read somewhere about using the compression release (it does have one) to get the piston to a certain location prior to starting. I am pretty new to big four strokes and don't really know how to use the compression release properly. How do you know where the piston is?

Any advice on warm starting this beast? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Frank Nye

I just got off the phone w/ George @ Up-Tite Husqvarna, and we got on the topic of “hot starting”.

Here is what he shared with me:

One of three ways:

1: Start like normal, using the compression release and kicking as you normally would. Hopefully that works. (My opinion is that Husky’s aren’t critical with piston location, unlike the YZF’s, never have been for me anyhow)

2: Hold in compression release, and at same time, pull the throttle back all the way. Then, while doing that, kick it over easy 7-10 times. Then try step (1) again.

3: If (2) fails, then pull out the choke, use and use starting procedure (1) as always….

A hot start system is not something you need to install according to George….(I have it though, don’t say that too loud)

Hope that helps…

:)

Hey Frank,

I have the same bike, only a 1992. Hot start, pull compression release and give 2 kicks with lever pulled. Give one more kick and release compression release when kickstarter is moving. I just purchased my used bike a few months ago. I really like the bike. I took me a while to get used to starting the bike. It always starts cold like you say. Also, I had troubles starting my bike warm at first. I live at 5700 feet above sea level. The guy I bought it from lives around 200. I had to set the air screw as described in the factory manual. It seems to make a major difference in hot starts. I can send you copies if you don't have the book. The carb setting seems to be very important.

I have a question for you. The front tire rubs on the rear front fender when the forks bottom. Does yours do this????. Thanks, John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GB1073
      Check out the updated web site by ATK USA. Lots of information, pictures and manuals, for ATK motorcycles and Rotax engines etc.
      atkusa.com

• By 76ossa350
      It has become very hard to find an atk speedo, although I just got one off ebay after watching for a year. I just saw the exact same speedometer on a Yamaha XT550. I looked on eBay, and there are several Yamaha xt speedometers, some new. So in all,  atk speedometer is also a Yamaha speedometer for those of us looking and unaware of the part crossover.
    • By 76ossa350
      For those who may be still playing around with street legal XRs and looking for a Speedo, the Atk Speedometer has been thrown around as being a good option. It has become very hard to find one, although I just got one off ebay after watching for a year. I just saw the exact same speedometer on a Yamaha XT550. I looked on eBay, and there are several Yamaha xt speedometers, some new for sale. So in all. "the" atk speedometer is also a Yamaha speedometer.
    • By infernalspark6699
      Hi all, first of all I'm new here and I thank you all in advance for your time and any advice you may have to offer me. heres the deal- I recently purchased a 2013 KTM duke 690. love the bike, not a thing wrong with it, BUT- originally was looking for something a little more towards the supermoto end of the spectrum and something I that could put knobbies on and go offroad every now and then. Was also looking real hard at a drz400sm but I settled on the duke because I got a good deal on it and I love the look and the ride and im about 85/15 street/dirt so it made sense for me to go with something more street oriented rather than sacrifice the power that I would need on the highway. Now im entertaining a trade offer- a 2007 bmw xmoto g650. The bmw has 9000 miles and has been well kept and maintained. My duke has 5000 miles. obviously the KTM is worth more, but it should be noted that the KTM does have a rebuilt title which affects the value- although the bike is in perfect shape. The bmw has a clean title. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has experience with both bikes what the pros and cons of each would be in your opinion. I have only been riding for less than two years, started on a yamaha 350 dual sport and have not riden much besides that and my KTM so I am still figuring out what my preferences are. I know this is a question of personal preference but I'd like to hear opinions from folks with more experience riding than I have. Factors I'm looking at are the ride and feel, performance, maintenance, reliability, and anything else you can think of. top speed is not an issue, 105 on the BMW is more than enough for me. as far as look goes, I honestly prefer the look of the bmw (don't hang me for saying that, orange just isn't my color)  I'm supposed to go check out the BMW tomorrow. attatched a pic of the actual bike im thinking of trading for. Thanks in advance to anyone whos got an opinion/advice for me. 

• By Romanian Tractor
      Made a motovlog about pushing oneself beyond our comfort zones... even had a slight mishap near the end.  Hope you enjoy.