DR-Z400S inseam requirements?

Could be. I'm 5'9" 160 pounds, w/ a 31~32" inseam, and I feel perfectly comfortable on the SM, but it is almost 2 inches lower. I'd definitely be extremely tippy toed on an S. You may have to go w/ lowering links in the rear, and raise the forks up in the triple clamps a bit, and possibly the Suzuki low gel seat, or one of the other custom seats (Corbin or Renazco). You can also have the suspension lowered internally by one of the better suspension shops.

From my experience you are right at the limit. With a 29" inseam I'm used to motorcycles being tall. But I had to lower the DRZ 1" to be comfortable. Plus a little off the seat. More rounding the edges than cutting off the top. That's what worked for me. I would advise take a look at the Suzuki low seat before you buy one. I though it was terrible and I like the stock seat better even for long rides.

You should be fine. You should, however, have the bike sprung for your weight. Stock is it designed for a 175# rider. With he correct spring, you will be a much happier camper. Do both the shock and forks.

I have a 27" inseam. After having the correct springs on and lowering via shortening the shock and forks 3", I put on a Corbin seta, which lowered it an additional 1" (plus it made it more comfortable), it is just right for me.

I am 5'5" with a 30 inch inseam and all I did was get the Corbin seat and ride, ride and ride somemore till the height didn't matter anymore. I can stand with both balls of my feet on the ground now when I am wearing my Navy issue flight deck boots....they have thick soles and weigh 170 lbs. I was going to lower the bike, but glad I didn't because in the end it was not a big deal.

Hombre:applause:

Little more info.

I didn't go with a lowering link for fear of altering the geometry in a negative way. Haven't changed the springs, haven't changed the seat. I have yet to set the preload.

I dropped the forks in the clamps 2-3mm untill they were flush for stability, and bumped the compression adjustments up 3 clicks on both ends (helped to keep the front end planted).

I think I need to bump up the rebound so more, and definately need to set the preload. As it's set for a 150lb rider I'm guessing the static sag will be out of tolerance once I set the race sag. I can't see myself going with a softer spring though.