Sign in to follow this  

My Homebrew Lighting

I do a bit of night riding on long trails, so its real easy to outride the stock light. I'd like to buy some nice lights from baja designs or some other company, but I am doing the whole broke college guy thing.

Before:

100_0968.jpg

First thing I did was made a template to bend the metal around.

100_0969.jpg

100_0970.jpg

I origonally used the torch to heat the metal, but it was too hard to get the whole bar heated up evenly and the wood burnt too quick (who would have guessed that?). I ended up just bending it cold around the wood and using C clamps and a LOT of trial and error to hold it in place while I welded it up.

100_0972.jpg

100_0973.jpg

So far, I have $5 in it. The lights were $62, but I already had them. When its done, there will be 1 fog and 1 driving light. When they are mounted, it will be stet up so they are easily removed. I'll keep the stock light incase I decide to sell the bike and keep the lights. I already have the wire to rewind the stator. The one question I have is will the stock voltage regulator handle 125 watts or do I need to purchase a larger one? I figure running some new heavier gauge wire would not be a bad idea, but the leads from those lights are already quite small (16ga maybe?)

Everything is just tacked in place right now, so let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Looks good, I like what your doing!

I am contimplating something close to your set up for my SUMOXR400 project I have under construction at this time.

Baja Design have great lights, but at $1,200 dollars for the dual 8 inch light set is really a bummer. I know their lights are the best on the on this planet for off road bikes but who can fork out that kind of money, I can't.

I really think your on the right track, yes you are going to need to use a heavier gauge wire and make sure you use relays or you will smoke your switches.

Are your lights one spot and one flood and what size are they, 8 inch?

Baja Design has a hand adjuster on top of each light are you installing an adjuster?

I would try the OEM voltage regulator before buying a new one, TT parts store has them starting around 20 bucks, I used a MS V.R. it was cheap and did the job. Search the web and see if anyone has the Baja Design wiring diagram posted and use their wiring layout as a guide.

good luck and let me know how it works out and I will do the same.

Yeah, I was wondering what you were doing with that hotwrench out,all I seen was some small gauge metal! give us a full detail on the set up and where to get them lights,I like it enough I just might copy yours,if your ok with that of course.

These lights have an adjuster built in (im sure its not as fancy as the BD), I'll try and get a picture of that tonight. It is basically just a ball/cup design with a bolt/nut through it to clamp it in the right position.

I got the lights from my local discount auto parts. For now, I snagged them off of my scout. They are both driving lights, but I am going to get another fog light kit and run one fog and one driving on both the scout and the bike. Yes, the scout will have the same lighting power as my dirt bike. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v341/JustinL/Scout/?action=view&current=100_0751.jpg

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=HLA&MfrPartNumber=76110&CategoryCode=3151A

If you want to copy them, hold off for a while, when I am done I'll make some drawings of everything I did with dimensions (although they will most likely be in engligh units :banghead: ).

That is JUST lights.

"For stock kick-start only bikes, order part#'s 61-0012 (racelight), 61-1048 (wiring harness), and 2 of part# 12-9008 (toggle switches). The light will come set up with a compact, pre-wired charging system mounted on the frame, a bike specific wiring harness, and triple-sealed toggle switches."

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=610012

Why would I do that? I can have better lighting for around the same price. The stock housing mounting sucks with those tabs that slip into the lower clamp and they are busted on mine causing it to flop around. I don't even know why you are bothering with this, I'm already set on doing this and I already had the lights so I didn't have to buy anything but some steel. These are simular in size to the PIAA lights so if I decide, I can upgrade to HIDs. I decided to try this because I get more satisfaction out of building something myself. I don't "casually" ride trails at night unless you consider spending most of the time in 4/5th on moderately tight trails casual.

Anyways, everything is welded up now. Ill throw some paint and a couple of switches on it tomorrow and possibly start rewinding the stator. I hooked up just one light and rode around the yard real quick. It has no problem lighting up far away but the beam is a little concentraded for lighting up everything right in front of you.

Upclose of the mounts. I still need to brace the back of the light mounts.

100_0975.jpg

Mounted up. I sorta forgot to check and make sure I could get the bolts out before welding it.... :banghead:

100_0977.jpg

100_0978.jpg

Overall

100_0979.jpg

I guess whoever it was decided to delete his posts?

Anyways, I decided I don't like how they are mounted so I am going to redo that tonight. Hopefully it looks better and I can get the lights tucked in a bit further. Now that I have done one, I could make the next one so much better... Oh well.

• Like 1

:banghead: great Job man!!!! Finally someone that has a little enginuity and style. I built a set years ago on my xr 250, with a set of dual 55 w rectangular blazer lights. I sent my stator out to ricky stator for a 150 w rewindd. back then I didnt know you could rewind em urself. Now adays, if I need something custom for my bike, I just build it. where abouts you live that you ride at night so much? Im west of Gainesville, by the suwannee river. KEep it up!:busted:

:banghead: great Job man!!!! Finally someone that has a little enginuity and style. I built a set years ago on my xr 250, with a set of dual 55 w rectangular blazer lights. I sent my stator out to ricky stator for a 150 w rewindd. back then I didnt know you could rewind em urself. Now adays, if I need something custom for my bike, I just build it. where abouts you live that you ride at night so much? Im west of Gainesville, by the suwannee river. KEep it up!:busted:

Hey, thanks. I ride in south west Palm Bay which as lots of long sandy trails and some moderately tight woods sections. Im in Fort Myers for the break and looking for some places to ride but no luck so far. Main reason I ride at night so much is I have school during the day.

I cut the mount apart last night and rebuilt it. It is now about 2" closer to the handle bars. I'll get some pictures up tonight after I get it wired up with the switches.

• Like 1

Outstanding!

Please don't get upset if I copy your design.

I do a bit of night riding on long trails, so its real easy to outride the stock light. I'd like to buy some nice lights from baja designs or some other company, but I am doing the whole broke college guy thing.

Before:

100_0968.jpg

First thing I did was made a template to bend the metal around.

100_0969.jpg

100_0970.jpg

I origonally used the torch to heat the metal, but it was too hard to get the whole bar heated up evenly and the wood burnt too quick (who would have guessed that?). I ended up just bending it cold around the wood and using C clamps and a LOT of trial and error to hold it in place while I welded it up.

100_0972.jpg

100_0973.jpg

So far, I have $5 in it. The lights were $62, but I already had them. When its done, there will be 1 fog and 1 driving light. When they are mounted, it will be stet up so they are easily removed. I'll keep the stock light incase I decide to sell the bike and keep the lights. I already have the wire to rewind the stator. The one question I have is will the stock voltage regulator handle 125 watts or do I need to purchase a larger one? I figure running some new heavier gauge wire would not be a bad idea, but the leads from those lights are already quite small (16ga maybe?)

Everything is just tacked in place right now, so let me know what you think.

It's so cool to see what guys come up with. The creativity, and skill, is just really neat. Your lights look great, very tough looking, and I'm pretty sure they'll give you lots of candle power when there's no moon. :banghead:

Thanks for sharing, you deserve some gas in your tank. !!!

Well, here is the almost final product. I am going smooth out everything and round the edges tomorrow then put on a coat or two of paint. It is fairly heavy, but like Im worried about that with an XR :busted:

For those if you who are considering doing this yourself, and going to use the triple clamp bolts to hold it on, you will not want to bolt it strait to the upper clamps as I had before because it will jam the clutch and throttle cables. It also is easier to get them tucked in close if you put the mounting bolts on top instead of on the bottom like I originally had.

More pictures to come tomorrow after its painted and installed :banghead:

100_0982.jpg

Well, this is what I ended up with. The epoxy on the stator is curing right now. Tomorrow I'll have to pull the plug and clean it, not sure why I have because I've only ridden once or twice on that plug.

On some of the pole, you can see two or three windings going down, this is because I was not able to fit enough windings in the 11 up/down/up for a total of 33.

100_0992.jpg

Gas tank is pulled while I change the plug and run some heavier gauge wire up to the lights.

100_0993.jpg

100_0994.jpg

100_0995.jpg

thats a kickass looking XR4 you got there!!! you have my dream bike and how i wish i were you!! :banghead:

btw, how much wattage does your stator pump out right now??

Heres is what I ended up with, you can see the larger gauge wire I am going to run off of the stator. Can someone verify that I have the coil indexed right? I forgot to take a picture last night when I pulled it apart.

100_0996.jpg

Once again great job!

I am in the Hot Tub right now so your indexing will have to wait till I get out and check my photos, it looks right but I will check and make sure for you this evening.

I stopped by wally world Friday and picked up a set of 6 inch hellas 55wt for my project. I am going in a slightly different direction with my xr4, it will be street legal so I need high and low beam lights for it to be legal.

I am going to keep the 55 watts as high beam and install one H3 35w bulb in each light as low beam or running light, so each Hella light will have 2 lights.

I am contimplating running all 4 bulbs as high beam and that would get me around 180 watts 20 under Ricky Stator max out put, I will see once I get it together and checked out, it might be to much of a amp draw.

Now are you going to run a battery? Or will you direct connect the lights and let them dim down at idle. You could install a small 12v nicad battery in your airbox and run it through the charging circuit and this will help keep your light bright at idle, that's the route I am going.

XR's only parts store has one for sale (battery), it's small and it looks as if it will fit in the xr4 airbox, I am pretty sure thats the battery I will use. link

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=745&category_id=343&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

Once again excellent job!

They are direct wired. Apparently I indexed it right as it runs. I rigged up the lights to test and they do not even dim at idle. I am real happy with them, I just need to find a set of the Fog lights as opposed to the driving lights I have on there now so I will have one focused far away and one focused close.

here it is overall. I still need to tidy up the wiring and get the switches wired. I'll jet it and adjust the valves while I am at it as well.

100_0997.jpg

Reguarding the forks, How much should I spend? I had a guy quote me about an hour of labor each for a total of 140 or 150 plus parts. I can send them off to precision concepts for $209 including bushings, seals, oil, etc.