Bleeding My Brakes?

I know that this may be a stupid request but I can't seem to find any info on what the process of bleeding the brakes is. I need to change the fluid in the rear and thought that I will flush the front too as long as I am at it. The only problem is I don't know what the process for doing it. Any help would be great... Thank you...

Hudman,

Bleading your brakes or flushing your brake fluid is fairly simple. First get a wrench that fits the bleader valve, you will probably want to use the box-end side. Get a piece of tubing to slide over the fitting unless you want to make a mess. Then pull the brake lever, if there is air in the system you may have to pump it a few times to build up preassure. Then open the bleader valve a little, you will notice the lever will pull further, when you feel the lever stop tighten the fitting then release the lever. Keep the fluid at a good level and you may want to put the cap/lid back on the master cyclinder because brake fluid might want to squirt out. good luck. :)

Eli

Bikes:03 525sx, 88 yz 250, 86 tt600, 78 sr500

Hudman I've never did a ktm but I fiqure all brakes should be the same. find you a long clear plastic tube that fits over the nut where the fluid leaks out(the clear tubes on the cans of fix a flat work great). tie a very loose loop in the plastic tube.place the tube on the nut.push down on the brake and loosen the nut. the loop should be on the top side with the two open ends about the same level.the loop serves the purpose of not letting air back into you brakes.just add fluid and pump.unless you pump your supply dry there is no way to mess things up.just add the new right on top of the old. gravity will take care of the rest.when you start to notice the clear color coming through the tube ,top off and your done

Thank you guys for the help... I've done what you've said when I put in my rear brake light switch and it worked great but I now want to change all of the fluid out. Do I put the tube over the zerk fitting on the brake itself, loosen the nut, pump the brakes forcing out all the old fluid while adding the new? I'm just a little confused. So what else is new right. :) Thank you again for the help.

Hey Hudman,How ya been???One way that I use to change all my fluid is to take all the fluid out of your resevoir(soak it up with paper towel or rag),at this point make sure not to touch your brake lever..Then I take my syringe full of new motul 5.1,open my bleeder,put hose and syringe on and reverse fill the resevoir..Not only are you filling your resevoir,your pushing out any air that could possibly be in your line..Thats just one way.. :)

I bleed brakes and the clutch pretty much like Fen says. Just a couple of notes. Make sure you back off the lever adjuster before bleeding the front brake. It doesn't take much engagement to make it impossible to push the fluid up. Same with the clutch if you ever bleed that. Push the caliper against the rotor so that the caliper pistons are pushed all the way in before you begin. That will get all the old fluid, and any air that may be in there, into the lines to be pushed out.

Once you're done, pump up the brakes and forward bleed them carefully once or twice to get any air that may have entered from the bleeder threads, etc.

You can get the large syringes at farm supply stores pretty cheap. I keep seperate ones in labled ziplock bags for brakes, clutch and sucking the oil out of the filter cavities in my 4 stroke.

Does anyone know what make of brake fluid is in the KTMs? I would like to bleed my lines as well but do I have to drain the fluid and start over with new if I don't know what is in my lines? I'm worried about cross contamination. :)

Thank you for the added information... It really helps.

dp400,

From what I've read and been told you need to change it all out rather than just adding old fluid to new. I was told, by a local dealer, that the old stuff will break down the new fluid and that the new fluid will boil faster just like the old once it's mixed. Just what I was told buy the local shop. Let me know what you find out. Good luck.:)

I always use Motul 5.1 but 3, 4, 5.1 and Motul 600 are all completely compatible. Just don't use 5. One of the beauties of back bleeding is that you're sure you have fresh fluid all the way through the system.

Here's a great article on brake fluids. I've been putting this link out for years. I'm actually a little surprised it still works.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/readridingtips.asp?id=106

I use the Motul 5.1 also - got it at the local Suzuki dealer because the Honda/Yamaha dealer did not have anything rated 5.1 After reading that article, Jeb, I would be willing to pay even more for this stuff :) - thanks for the link!