Race Tech Suspension? Delta Valve?

6'0", 185lbs, on the weenier side of intermediate skill-wise, but getting better with every mouthful of mud and cased double (dang WR tank gets hard on the nards sometimes).

Determined to keep up with fast son on MX/SX tracks, but will also do woods, hare-scrambles, and honey-do errands on the street.

"Build" me the ultimate suspension please: :D?:D

I'm asking about this because suspension 'help' is very limited around here. I fully expect that what works for A class won't for me. So I check out the Race Tech site, like their pitch. Talk to local 'tuners'.

I keep getting told "sure we can do it, but Race Tech is crazy with their spring rate chart. We can install their stuff but we'll make our own changes.(now what good is that?)" (This is because it actually calls for softer springs in the forks and I had lots of bottoming trouble till I raised the oil level, now I don't think I'm getting travel or sensitivity) . R.T. also offers the Delta set-up which is intriguing due to both low and high adjustments. Dual-sport to the max?

As my son grows in size and gets faster and more aggressive, I have learned the hard way to look for suspension problems FIRST when he has a bad moto/day. It is that crucial. Blown-up shocks, swing arm bushings, etc. I can spot. But getting an 8 yr old to communicate what it FEELS like is tough when its not something obvious. Worse still when all I can do is trial and error. I'm really no better than that 8yr old at describing my problems.

It would be nice to learn this very subjective "stuff". 2nd best option is to have absolute faith and trust in an expert. Trouble is, I can't find even just TWO who agree. So everyone's wrong? I can't afford a lot of trial and error.

I wont claim to be suspension expert and I am in fact still breaking in / adjusting to my new race tech suspension. Heres my two cents, I raced my wr400 with stock suspension for 2 years on a 12 race cross country series, some mx track too. It seemed good in the medium stuff, too stiff in the little stuff and beat the hell out of me when bottoming. I have two solid rides on the race tech with gold valves, so far I have not touched the clickers until I am satisfied its broken in / settled. My conclusion so far, much more plush in the little stuff, feels great in the medium stuff, and mellows out the jump landings big time. I am very satisfied, and will admit I was worried about the spring rates they set my up with, but those worries are unfounded. The bike is balanced and much much better than stock ever was. Like I said just my two cents.

I have asked a couple of other TT members how they like theirs (race tech). I failed to ask if it was set up per r.t. specs, though.

It would seem that the expert installation places "know" more about WRs than the people who ride them and more about RT than RT. Oddly enough, these same people who refuse to use RT specs also seem to scorn the product.

Race Tech's charts took a tremendous amount of research and effort is the way I tend to look at it. If I trust the brand I should trust their specs, right? Who do I trust to install it right?

I have never found a Delta valve user for the probable(?)reason that few people have such a wide range of uses, I suppose.

Chaindrive,

Very good topic....

There is more than one way to build "good" suspension, and you will get many different answers respectively.

Ask alot of questions to your prospective tuners, suspension is a very competitive business.

Make sure ALL of your questions are being answered adequately, make sure the shop gives you solid answers and not just a "sales pitch".

Some good questions to ask:

1. Are they using the stock or aftermarket pistons and if they use an aftermarket piston ask them to go into detail exactly why its better than stock.

2. If and how is the midvalve (active valving) being modified, and what performance gains are to be expected.

3. Ask about the guarentee, will they change the set up if you are not satified and will they ultimately refund your money if the suspension doesnt live up to your expectations. The money back guarentee will usually "weed out" a few shops. Any shop worth there salt will provide this money back guarentee.

4. What after service support can you expect for tuning help.

Basically the average suspension job costs about $500.00 to $600.00 on up. Its your hard earned cash, make sure you feel very comfortable with the suspension shop before you drop any cash, go ahead and "rake them over the coals" with questions!!

Take Care, John

When MXTuner (Mark)...MXTuner@mindspring.com Who has done several of our bikes, finished mine, I could not believe the difference. No more fighting squared off corners, No more drift, Root Deflection completely stopped, No ARM PUMP...No More Crunched Landings....Very comfortable....

I would not trade my Race Tech Suspension for anything in the world.

Bonzai ?

YAMAKAZE,

Stop it you are getting me excited. I also had MXTUNER do my suspension, but because of the $hit weather we are having(snow flurries again today) I have not yet tried them out. I'm sure they will be great. This winter I went to YZ timing, Deoctopused my bike, Jetted it, and most of all my suspenion and I can't try out any of it ? I hope Spring comes soon. Have fun at the GNCC :D

Pete

Race Tech gold valves front and rear. New race tech spring. Setup as per the race tech chart. (I always hear there is not enough gas in the bottle from the factory) the difference in the way the bike handles is absolutely penominal. Best mod to date and best bang for the buck.6'1, 205lbs

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: levy1 ]

Originally posted by Team Oatmeal Pie:

I wont claim to be suspension expert and I am in fact still breaking in / adjusting to my new race tech suspension. Heres my two cents, I raced my wr400 with stock suspension for 2 years on a 12 race cross country series, some mx track too. It seemed good in the medium stuff, too stiff in the little stuff and beat the hell out of me when bottoming. I have two solid rides on the race tech with gold valves, so far I have not touched the clickers until I am satisfied its broken in / settled. My conclusion so far, much more plush in the little stuff, feels great in the medium stuff, and mellows out the jump landings big time. I am very satisfied, and will admit I was worried about the spring rates they set my up with, but those worries are unfounded. The bike is balanced and much much better than stock ever was. Like I said just my two cents.

Exactly the way I feel about my MX-Tech suspension.

Bill

Great feedback and advice guys! Thanks. As for the midvalve business, it would seem advisable to replace it with a check valve setup? RT claims it will eliminate harshness. Did any of you do this?

...hmmm, did third year calc cover solving equations with infinite variables?... ?

Midvalve removal...hmmmm....did we ever debate this subject before...??

couldnt resist... ?:D:D

Chaindrive thats a great question, I cant get into that now, I am getting ready to load up to go to SC. Do a search on midvalve, you'll get some really cool info from both sides of the tracks!

Take Care, John